Dog not quite right...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our 8 year old do has started to occasionally show some character changes (now and then) that have us concerned.

He is normally a very friendly dog, never snatches food and only ever growls when playing tug or when he's having a mad 5 minutes... And I can calm him down immediately if I feel like I have to.

It started the other day, Mrs Noz saw him, all I can say is, "bedding down" for about 10 minutes on the front door mat .... going around and around and around... When she went to him to see what was up he jumped up at her growling (no biting though), sort of attacking her...

He has also occasionally been like a grumpy dog when my daugher has been stroking him, growling now and then, a deep gutteral growl.

We have him booked in with the vet tomorrow and in talking with the vet they have told my wife that it could be either an infection or a brain tumor,,,, in every other way he looks and behaves normally,,, it's just these moments (maybe twice a day now).

Any ideas??

From what you have described I would say your dog has arthritis! It's one of these cases of the examination will reveal all, but often the dog can be in a lot of pain and as your daughter strokes the sore shoulder he tells you it hurts in the only way that he can.

Labs are prone to this sort of thing. Before you rush into anything hasty I would try the dog on some painkillers. Don't rush to spend thousands on a brain scan!

I see labs everyday grumpy with arthritis, I have seen maybe 1 dog in 5 years that may well have had a brain tumour. :C

Let me know how you get on. Is he castrated?

Yes he's been done,,,

Im glad to hear that you don't get many brain tumors, thats promising!

He is a bit of a heinz, standing at only 14 inches,,, we think there's a bit of Corgi in him, but he has longer legs

In every way, 99% of the time he is his normal self, soft as a brush, will allow you to do anything to him and is his usual active self,,,,,,, arthritis was the furthest thing from our minds

Well the news is,,,, he's got some bad teeth and an abcess, so he's now on antibiotics and is booked in to have a couple of teeth out next week.

Cheers

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:53 ----------

The vet also told us that he's a Welsh Pembrookshire Corgi / Spaniel cross:)