Wiring heating controls

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingo

Reaction score
Could someone put me in the right direction please.

I have a solid fuel system with a charnwood solid fuel boiler ,a room stat,high stat,low stat,cylinder stat,single channel programmer and this normally open valve which is used on solid fuel systems.

I have no idea how to wire all of them together .

Any diagrams would be a help.

Thanks

Bingo

Welcome to the forum Bingo, It is best to start a new topic thread when you are asking a new question, rather than adding your post onto an unrelated thread. (I have moved your post to start a new thread for you.)

Doc H.

Andy,

Thanks for getting back

I have no wiring plans with the boiler.

The boiler is solid fuel

I have a cylinder with a stat on

i have a low stat and a high stat in cylinder cupboard.

i have wired a three core to a room stat in hallway.

I have a drayton single channel programmer lifestyle in cylinder cupboard with a wiring centre junction box which will be fed from a 3 amp fused spur.

I have the three wire valve honeywell i believe i have not seen valve but arrives tomorrow .

I am happy to wire y plans and s plans but this solid fuel never done andy so would like some help please

cheers bingo

I would just remind all of our members that central heating control wiring is notifiable work under part-P building regs. As such it will need testing and certifying by an electrician able to undertake Part-P notification. Alternatively you can contact your LABC to test and certify the work for you after paying an appropriate fee. Are you Part-P registered Bingo?

Doc H.

Thanks Doc

As you can tell new to this forum and your help much needed

Thanks for starting new Question

Much Appreciated.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:39 ----------

Yes doc i am an approved electrical contractor and have been for nearly 20 years .All my work will be inspected and tested and certified on completion and forwarded to the relevant authorities .I am bearly stumbling over an installation on which i have not covered and would like some feed back on the problem.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers Bingo.

That will help other members answering your questions by knowing a bit more about your experience & knowledge. We do get some DIY'ers asking questions that are simply too far out of their depth to grasp. It is always easier when you know how to word your answers at an appropriate level. I am sure some of our other members will be along later to contribute more. Sometimes best to give it a day or so for answers as some of our guys do work away and may not always have easy internet access.

Did you know you can have your scheme members logo added by your user name if you follow the links below;

Doc H.

Bingo,

Do you know what you are trying to achieve with the low & high stats and the valve?

The cylinder stat, room stat and programmer are pretty self explanitory..

You might be aswell phoning the boilers manufacturer and asking them how the system should work!

If you can wire S and Y plan, I fail to grasp the problem.

The wiring doesn`t care what the object on the end of the "call" signal is. You are looking at a straightforward logical circuit, where the relevant thermostats operate the relevant valves to regulate the temperatures in the relevant pipes, at the times provided by the programmer. Which bit of this is a problem?

We are unable to say "put cyl.sat to programmer term 1" or the like, as we don`t know what kit you`re using.

We won`t say " put the blue wire between room thermostat call (sleeved brown) and 3 port valve (white wire)", because you`ve not a DIY joe, and presumably know the gist of what you`re doing.

Maybe a conversation with the plumber would help, he has probably done them before, and knows the systems.

Alternatively, consider getting someone in to do it, and observe / ask questions; it is the way many of us learned things.

HTH

KME

Hello Bingo.......

Welcome to the forumbulator Guinness

The first thing you have got to do, rather than thinking about what you have got...

is as Noz implies....

THINK ABOUT WHAT, WHEN & HOW YOU WANT WATER FLOWING WHERE?

e.g.

with an S plan or Y plan you may think..

1/ I want hot water from the boiler to heat up the hot water cylinder over night when the timer is on until the thermostat says the cylinder is hot.

2/ I want the radiators to be heated any time that the room stat says its cold and the programmer says that the heating should be on.....

When you know what & where you want stuff to go its just a mater of connecting lives to operate or close valves at specified times if thermostats say things are hot or cold...

Most of these heating devices are either 1-way or 2-way switches that operate due to timers or heat at a particular position on the pipes or cylinders......

To be quite blunt heating is not much harder than two-way or three way lighting control with maybe a timer or PIR chucked in for good measure...

If you are needing specific wiring connections we will need a specification of how you want the system to work...

and pictures of the exact terminal designations on each of your components.

Where about in the country are you?

If you are struggling maybe someone could come a meet up and see your kit face to face!?

:| :CGuinness

Thanks Guys for your replies .Sorry for the delay but once finishing the job yesterday it was pop time.So yes sore head this morning.

The install went well yesterday,thanks mainly to coming on this forum .The diagram of rainydays was a much help and advice of special location was worthy.

The panic was not needed with it being one of many installs to a big contract we had to get things right.Has i said you can go along has a sparky and things do try and test you but the job satisfaction is at the end of the day that the damn thing does has youve wired it .So once again lads thanks and i will be staying on this forum to see if i can help someone who becomes in a sticky situation has i was.

Just to say about the installation and my grammer to try and get some info of you guys i do apologise but didnt really get much info of plumber and contracts manager until yesterday when they said what they wanted things to do then it makes the install a little easier.

It was a charnwood fire solid fuel with a gravity system and cylinder.The single channel programmer was for central heating which fed low stat on call (Once up to temperature above 30 degrees),once low stat called it fed room stat ,which once called fed the pump.

For hot water the fire was fed fuel the water heated up .once the temperature reached the high stat temperature of 85 then the stat satisfied and again turned pump this dispersing the water round the rads thus cooling.

The one way valve a v4043b which comes with a neutral; live and earth is open all the time and is used for when the fire is fuelled and the water temperature in the cylinder reaches temperature set of 65 this satisfies cylinder sat thus calling to valve closing valve and water now goes on to the high temp stat again once satisfied at the temperature will start pump and send water round.

The stats come with diagrams on back on how you want them to make or break.

Has i sais a successfull install and once again thanks.

Bingo

Latest posts