is this a scam - oil-rig-job.co.uk ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes its a scam and not a good one, look at the address

OIL RIG JOB

Suite 727, Office 6

Slington House Rankine Road

Basingstoke

Read all the so called testimonials, all rather same'ish including some of the names. 2 x Patrik, 2 x Emmanuel, 2 x Christopher 2 x John. No phone numbers, despite referring to a 24hr call center?

Doc H.

cheers all for the insights. I haven't parted with any cash. i read through the site and sent a request for information then the fee thinhgy flashed up and the alarm bells went off in my head

They are renting from "Access Self Storage".

Here is the "Whois" on that domain name:

Domain name:

oil-rig-job.co.uk

Registrant:

HoganWest

Registrant type:

Non-UK Corporation

Registrant's address:

Suite 727, Office 6, Slington House, Rankine Road

Basingstoke

Hampshire

RG24 8PH

United Kingdom

Registrar:

Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG]

URL: Domain names | Domain name registration | 123-reg

Relevant dates:

Registered on: 09-Dec-2008

Renewal date: 09-Dec-2012

Last updated: 05-Jul-2011

Registration status:

Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:

ns1.haldeman.co

ns2.haldeman.co

WHOIS lookup made at 09:05:15 04-Sep-2011

--

This WHOIS information is provided for free by Nominet UK the central registry

for .uk domain names. This information and the .uk WHOIS are:

Copyright Nominet UK 1996 - 2011.

You may not access the .uk WHOIS or use any data from it except as permitted

by the terms of use available in full at URL Redirect, which

includes restrictions on: (A) use of the data for advertising, or its

repackaging, recompilation, redistribution or reuse (B) obscuring, removing

or hiding any or all of this notice and © exceeding query rate or volume

limits. The data is provided on an 'as-is' basis and may lag behind the

register. Access may be withdrawn or restricted at any time.

Information Updated: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 08:05:15 UTC

[h=2]OIL-RIG-JOB.CO.UK SITE INFORMATION[/h]IP: 202.191.37.42

IP Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Website Status: active

Server Type: Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.3.6

Alexa Trend/Rank:
down_arrow.gif
1 Month: 1,803,567 3 Month: 1,443,817

Page Views per Visit:
down_arrow.gif
1 Month: 2.8 3 Month: 3.0

no reputable company would take money of you for a job search as its in there interest to get you into work as they get paid by the employer

first up,

you will need at a minimum compEX , and if its offshore 'survival' as well,

where do you want to work?

UK or overseas? I have some pointers for UAE, if its only UK you want have a google for north sea tigers or similar.

but do NOT pay anyone to get you a job, reputable agencies get their money via commission from the employer.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:56 ----------

Recruitment - North Sea Tigers

Well, being used to other more professional recruitment agency outfits but in a different line of work, I am used to paying for an agency service. I saw this, didn't clock the absence of a phone number and paid it. Got some emails from them, sent my CV in, I'll let you know how it pans out. Be nice if I hadn't dropped a bollock already.

Best of luck, but I've never heard of a recruitment agency charging the job seeker. They get their money from the employer.

And we all know Aberdeen Basingstoke is the oil capital of the UK

isnt offshore a case of who you know,not what you know...it sounds a scam to me mate..keep your money safe

There's always been scams surrounding jobs, especially when work is tight, I remember when they were building the Channel Tunnel, there was adverts offering mega bucks for sparks to go and work on it. A mate and myself were working for a firm and tbh the future didn't look all that secure so we began to think about jumping ship and heading for the tunnel. They were advertising jobs paying something like 4 or 5 times what we were getting up here, and they found you accommodation too, anyway we were in a pub and got talking to another bloke, turned out he was a spark too. We mentioned our plans and he told us not to bother, apparently he'd tried it, lets say they were offering £60 an hour, when you got down there they were actually offering more like £15 an hour, "well you've packed a job in to come here so you've nothing if you go back home have you? you may as well take what we're offering" .

I ended up doing agency work down south but got fed up with being messed about, some of them promised loads and delivered very little, A site I was sent to  realised they didn't actually need another spark, but they were contracted to take me for a week, I ended up sweeping a 30 mtr length of corridor constantly for 3 days, it was so clean you could eat your dinner off the floor! One sent me to a site telling me they needed 2 electricians and when we landed it was actually 2 labourers they needed!  I did a week at about £10 an hour then decided I'd had enough and was coming home. On my last day the transformer feeding the site got damaged and everything stopped, I offered to get it back up and running and the site agent said he'd sort me out if I could do it, there was about a hundred men sat around due to the lack of power. Anyway I got it going and he paid me 3 hours at £35 an hour (it only took an hour to fix) it turned out that agency sparkies were getting about £15 an hour but the agency was charging £35 an hour, I told him I was going home that weekend and he said if I came back he'd take me on direct, as a spark and pay me £20 an hour, but I'd had enough, everyone promised good earnings and decent jobs, the reality sadly was often very different.

I was offered a few jobs on the Millenium Dome when they were building that. All sounded tempting but I didn't really want to go and stay in London for weeks on end and hadn't worked away much before that. Eventually started hearing stories like yours so decided not to bother. The stories got worse and worse after that, I think if I would have gone I would have preferred sitting at home doing nothing earning nothing. Luckily I already had local work so wasn't mad keen to rush straight down.

I've never had many issues working away,

But I suppose its an ingrained thing perhaps, I've worked away almost constantly up until 10 years ago , from the age of 17.

Had a few adventures along the way too, ;)

But I suppose its an ingrained thing perhaps, I've worked away almost constantly up until 10 years ago , from the age of 17.

Oh yes, I spent a good while working away, got fed up in the end though. It's funny because I was watching Auf Wiedersehen Pet recently, and as I'm sure you know, you didn't have to work abroad to have some great times, only trouble was a lot of what was earned was spent on beer in my case. Happy days lol

Left the old sod to head away to foreign lands and sunny Manchester.

Oh yes, I spent a good while working away, got fed up in the end though. It's funny because I was watching Auf Wiedersehen Pet recently, and as I'm sure you know, you didn't have to work abroad to have some great times, only trouble was a lot of what was earned was spent on beer in my case. Happy days lol
I have an uncle who went go Germany to work as a brick layer. He actually lived in a lorry container on-site for a while. Although when he came home he was so rich he was able to get SKY TV  :slap . We had to wait until 94 until the aul boy could afford it.

Left the old sod to head away to foreign lands and sunny Manchester.

I have an uncle who went go Germany to work as a brick layer. He actually lived in a lorry container on-site for a while. Although when he came home he was so rich he was able to get SKY TV  :slap . We had to wait until 94 until the aul boy could afford it.

only ended up in Manchester as thats where the missus is from,

I was working away and only in England every few months when she, [then GF] became pregnant,

I still miss working away, although overseas is kinda out of the question nowadays, I still enjoy my odd fews week now and again at different places in the UK, Ireland, IoM,