Some advice please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timeforchange

Reaction score
Hello all

I am almost iminantly going to be made reduntant in around 6 weeks time and at a guess I'll be due for around 15k redundancy.

I am 43 and in my opinion above average fitness wise and above avarage with regards to technical mindedness.I have always had an interest in electricals and from a lad making things with leds,motors ect to doing all my own household electrics and for friends etc.

I know I'll be upto the level of learning I'll need to undertake and I have the confidence to do it and the confidence to find work after becoming qualified.

My Brother is Jobs manager for a well run building business that always have no less than 20 jobs on the go and after speaking to him he has said that he struggles to get good electricians to work for him and is permanantly employed 2 sparks at all times, and has said it's exactly what will suit me and has offered to help in any way, ie any work with an electricain can be sorted, albeit low paid.

So, in short I'll have enough money to go down the 5k course thingy then work for 3/6 months for pennies to pick up the site experience after qualifying.My Brother has said obviously the wages he can pay me will rise with my gathering experience so the harder I work and learn the quicker I'll get on my feet.

The other possibility is that I won't be made redundant but still want to future proof myself by leaning it anyway.I guess this option will be better because i can work my 3 on 3 off shift pattern and do a couple of days with my Brothers firm then do the cheaper course at college online ect over a couple of years say??

All I can say is that I'm commited and a very quick learner,brimming with confidence but not cocky! and I really need some sound advice.

I live in S/E Kent so will be looking for College or learning centre around this neck of the woods.

Many Thanks In advance

Stewart

He has two full time electricians,and I could get experience working with them.

How much is the C&G and how long to do? like I said I can make 15k last a year just about if I'm not earning.

Welcome to the forum, firstly I have to agree with the other forum members, spending 5K on any learning course just puts money into some very clever people who skim off the excess from the neady. if you are fully commited then enrol on a college course, this will give you all the technical skills, and working part time with your brother will give you the practical and experiance. I would urge everyone to avoid those quick learning skills as they only get you to a standard to pass an exam, but actually teach you nothing.

I suppose realistically I need to work as a labourer for him say 2 days a week and spend 3 days either with his electrician or at college or a mix.That way I can earn some cash and top it up with my Redundancy.

What sort of costs are there for the college and how many days a week for how many months or years will it be? I have a motgage and family to think about so I need to know everything.My wife is right behind me so the commitment is there and I can live on beans for a while if need be ;)

In fact if I effectively become unemployed can I get the training for free?

Electrical InstallationWhy should I do this course?

This course is designed to give you a qualification in the area of domestic electrical installation. The qualification covers the technical information at level 2 needed to complete a full apprenticeship in electrical at level 3. This one year full time course will cover the first two years of a traditional day release apprenticeship course. It also involves a high level of theory work.

What will I study?

You will study in detail the theories of electrical and carry out various practical assessments during the duration of the course. The course will require you to passing a number of theory tests and practical assessments

What can I do next? (progression routes and employment)

This course is designed to help you gain employment in the electrical industry. As stated earlier the course covers the first two years of a traditional apprenticeship. After completion of this course you would need to gain employment in industry, to complete the following requirements of the level 3 technical certificate and NVQ 3.

Who can do it? (entry requirements, ages etc.)

Standard college entry requirements and passing of the industry recognised JTL assessment test.

These are full time courses starting on 31st October 2011
this appears to be a fast track apprentice scheme,

covering all/most of your theory in one year, but still requiring you to obtain your NVQ via sitework , seems to be a good middle ground if you can afford the year with no pay.

you would need to find out specifically what C&G exams are involved in this course to make it a valid option though, but it does look like a strong contender.

I suppose realistically I need to work as a labourer for him say 2 days a week and spend 3 days either with his electrician or at college or a mix.That way I can earn some cash and top it up with my Redundancy.What sort of costs are there for the college and how many days a week for how many months or years will it be? I have a motgage and family to think about so I need to know everything.My wife is right behind me so the commitment is there and I can live on beans for a while if need be ;)

In fact if I effectively become unemployed can I get the training for free?
When I was made redundant and signed on for Jobseekers (do they still do that now?)

I was able to get college evening courses for free, but had to just pay the cost to register to sit each exam.

Even when I was self employed I got my 2391 course for free, (pay exam only again), cuz of some EU funding available for small businesses that our college was able to apply for!

Best thing is go and speak to your local college...

see what they say! :)

After all your comments I spoke to my Brother again and he's adamant that the 6 month 5K would be fine for me as he can ensure that I get a Job working for him with his electricians to gain the site experience and NVQ on sites assesments.He knows me very well and knows how quick I grasp things and knows I have very good technical knowlege already.

I have so many variables affecting my decision at the moment because even if I don't get made redundant I still want to do it.That would mean I'd have to work with him 1/2 days a week and do eveing classes etc.

If I get the redundancy the I guess I have 2 options,either do a full time local course for a year then NVQ Level 3 or do the intense 5K (4 mnths) option and then work my nuts off with my brothers firm to gain the assesments and incremental pay increases.

It seems that most if not all of you say the intense one aint worth a light but as I see it after the completed course I can do most work and the main problem of no decent firm taking me on with just a 4 month course behind me is not a concern because of my Brother offer??

My head hurts! ; (

After all your comments I spoke to my Brother again and he's adamant that the 6 month 5K would be fine for me as he can ensure that I get a Job working for him with his electricians to gain the site experience and NVQ on sites assesments.He knows me very well and knows how quick I grasp things and knows I have very good technical knowlege already.I have so many variables affecting my decision at the moment because even if I don't get made redundant I still want to do it.That would mean I'd have to work with him 1/2 days a week and do eveing classes etc.

If I get the redundancy the I guess I have 2 options,either do a full time local course for a year then NVQ Level 3 or do the intense 5K (4 mnths) option and then work my nuts off with my brothers firm to gain the assesments and incremental pay increases.

It seems that most if not all of you say the intense one aint worth a light but as I see it after the completed course I can do most work and the main problem of no decent firm taking me on with just a 4 month course behind me is not a concern because of my Brother offer??

My head hurts! ; (
May I just ask you Timeforchange what do you do at the moment, what qualifications and experience did you have to obtain for your existing job i.e. what sort of background are you coming from?

Doc H.

My main job is non technical, i manage people,40 to be accurate,and I do it very well.It's something I just fell into 20 years ago then got married had kids and here I am.On my days off I do Landscaping and general building as self employed P/T just for something to do as I have 3/4 days a week off

With the iminent redundancy I see it as an opportunity to do something I always wanted to do, everyone I know says the jod I do doesn't suit me and I know I should be doing something more technical,I'm a wizz with computers,networking,basic domectic electrics.I'm always fixing things like TVs, washing machines etc and whenever I go to Curries etc I end up telling them more about the product than they know.

My father was a well respected Engineer and my Uncles are both Plumbers,my Brother is a master Chippy so it's in the blood,I just leant the wrong way when I left school,but I've regretted it ever since.

I know that I will have no problems learning a new skill and to a certain degree I am probably half way there anyway.Please don't think I'm being over confident!

I am very humble but I do know my own limits and I know this is definitely for me.

I'm very excited about a new career and my wife is right behind me.

110% commited

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:10 ----------

I also play Harmonica in a Blues Band ;)

Timeforchange,

I would suggest that you ask one question of those of us on here who are prospective employers.

I for one will answer in advance.

As a potential employer and professional engineer I would not employ a "short course" qualified electrician, that is my prerogative and my opinion.

However, it would be my company, i.e. me who would be employing you so that would be my call, and unless you had a long track record of competence you would have no chance with me sorry.

I employed a time served spark who had no idea and after getting an electric shock by deciding to work live he was looking for another job!

I would never again employ a spark unless they had a long track record of training that did not include an intensive course such as you are suggesting.

Why not ask the other potential employers here what they think?

I respect your opinion and it's your perogative to choose who you want to work for you.

But with all due respect the guy that shocked himself new he was taking a risk working live and I doubt it was down to his lack of experience, he was basically a wally.You don't need experience to know elecricity will kill you.

I do take your point but I have a job to go to at the end of it so I will gain the experience without stepping outside my boundaries.

I`d echo my colleague`s sentiments pretty much verbatim, I`m afraid.

There are a myriad of opportunities within this industry to kill, maim or injure yourself, a colleague, innocent bystander or end user. Unless I am certain, beyond reasonable doubt, of someone`s competency - they don`t have a chance with us.

There are some "medium course" members on here (discounting "intensive training"), who know what they`re doing, and more importantly, know their limitations (the same can indeed be said of "time served" guys) - but from personal observation, those having done intensive courses simply do not have a grasp of the fundamental principles - not their fault directly, though they chose that route rather than CG2330 et al.

Not what you hoped to hear, I expect - but the rosy-coloured glasses need to be left at the door. These intensive courses are, generally, poor to nonexistant in their coverage of the "Why?" - down to time constraints I expect.

KME

Latest posts