TRVs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed my heating system about 5 years ago - all in copper pipe. The house is old and of stone construction with very thick walls and a wooden floor in most of the downstairs. The radiators are 'Acova' mostly - the ones which look like the old cast iron ones and the boiler is a gas combi condenser made by Ravenheat (I know - not the best but most of the budget went on the rads). The guy who comissioned and signed off for me said I had to have a room stat so put one in my study at the back of the house. All the rads have basic valves. We have quite expensive gas bills and wondered:

1 would I make significant savings by fitting TRVs to most of the rads

2 How likely is it that they would be a straight swap?

3 would it be best to disconnect the room stat after fitting them?

I was thinking something like these

Any comments or advice would be very welcome

they are fairly easy to install once system drained

you cannot fit them on every rad, there must be at least 1 without a TRV, or a bypass valve (boiler will self destruct if it fires up but all TRV's are off)

if you get them with the same tails in the the rad, should be able to swap just the valve body. otherwise rad tails will also need swapped. not a major job, but you will most likely need a tail allen key to do it

of course, if you wanted to go way OTT, you could make it S plan with a 2 port valve & thermostat in each room...

Rev,

The main way that you'd save money with TRVs is that you'll be able to reduce the temperature in the rooms that you don't use,,, but keep a background heat IYKWIM?

One of the big factors in your gas useage will be that your system holds a lot of water that needs to be heated because of the radiators,, std P+ or K2 rads hod less water!

TRVs will fit your Acova rads

Regs state that you should have TRVs and a room stat

HTH

keep the room stat,

and put lockshields on that rad,

it will become fairly redundant now you are fitting TRVs, but it will shut down the boiler if the 'heat bleed' rad gets over-heat

Thanks for the replies guys, I was kinda hoping the tails would be a standard thing but knowing me they will be different although the valves came from SF and the TRVs will also come from there so who knows? got a big allen key thingy somewhere. I was thinking of leaving the attic bedroom, bathroom and rear study on std valves or would it be best to fit everywhere except say bathroom?

I now wish I had thought a bit more about zones when I installed it - ie daytime zone = downstairs and bathroom only etc.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:34 ----------

but then again how hard would it be to fit solenoid valves in several legs of the system? wired to stats in each area?

you really should have the room where the stat is on lockshields, so it cannot be turned down/off, and the stat controls the temp in that area,

generally have the stat in the coldest area, and let the TRVs control the temp in the rest of the house.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:39 ----------

as for your solenoid valves,

how about fitting localised stats and normal 2port valves?

that would be the simpliest way, depending if your piuping system would support that , that is.

Piping system goes like this from boiler room at back of house in 22mm

15mm branch off to study rad (where room stat is) continues through wall under floor and then another branch in 15 to back bedroom and dowstairs to kitchen (as its under the bedroom) then another 15mm branch to bathroom.

22mm tee to downstairs leg which goes under stairs and under wooden floor feeding hallway and 2 rads in lounge.

22mm run continues with 15mm branch to next bedroom then finally a branch going to attic bedroom and main front bedroom.

As I said I didnt think about it enough at the start but dont mind spending a bit getting some improvements especially if it saves on gas. I should add that there is a multifuel stove in the lounge and kitchen. The kitchen one is usually kept going through the winter and the loung one only on cold days.

Open to suggestions for best improvements

Last edited by a moderator:
can you do a sketch Rev?

Im rubbish at trying to make sense of my own descriptions, never mind some one elses. :|

just a line drawing of what goes where if possible.

no worries rev,

Im not the best brain here, but may be able to help you get pointed in the direction as to where to put valves and stats if you so decide to go that route,

if its anything like my house, and even with TRVs and a stat, some rooms still get roasting hot and others simply warm.

Done quite a bit with CH rev.

As Albert - I need more of a diagram, TBH.

TRVs are simplicity to fit...the big issue is knowing which way the flow is, `cos some TRVs have to go in the flow side....others are bi-directional.

Don`t know where in Wales you are, but I`m sure we could do summat for you ;)

KME

Just need to be careful with some of the non-brand-name TRV's IHMO..

I had a few start leaking around the 'O' seals out the top after 2 or 3 years from being fitted.

I've been swapping the valves on my rads at home recently been using a few of these pegler ones..

Pegler Terrier II White & Chrome TRV 15mm Angled | Screwfix.com

cost a bit more.. but as the spec says they have a double 'O' ring seal.. and they are bi-directional water flow..

NOTE!!!!

don't get mixed up with Bi-Directional valve body & Bi Directional water flow..

Most have a Bi-Directional body.. (can be mounted vert or Hoz)

But as KME said not all can have Bi-Directional water flow.. (can be on Flow OR Return end of Rad).

Cuz these are Bi-Directional water flow, I just stick em on the easiest end of the radiator to physically reach..

be it the flow or return end!!!

See first paragraph of instruction sheet copied here..

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll306/SPECIALLOCATION/PEGLERTVR.jpg

Designed to operate with water flow in either direction.

This IMHO is a key feature to ensure with whatever make of valve you choose. ;)

Guinness

Done quite a bit with CH rev.As Albert - I need more of a diagram, TBH.

TRVs are simplicity to fit...the big issue is knowing which way the flow is, `cos some TRVs have to go in the flow side....others are bi-directional.

Don`t know where in Wales you are, but I`m sure we could do summat for you ;)

KME
IIRC either myself or KTGUK are the closest to the Rev and we're a good hour away;) ;)

Latest posts