Fixing brackets to slate roofs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have tried a few versions of how to fix the brackets to slate roofs, and still not happy that we have found optimum solution. Todays version involves getting past slates to screw directly to rafters with much slate trimming to achieve desired result, cos we ain't happy with screwing to battens to hold array (least not on a large array). So was wondering if anyone has a cunning plan - other than avoid in the first place???

What I`ve seen so far.....

One roofer is happy to use battens (!), slides the end of the hook up under the slate above, until the hole lines up with the batten and drills through the hole in the hook, through the slate & into the batten. Slather it with quality silicon, and whack a nice sized screw in there. Then cuts strips of flashband, and sticks them over the hook.

MY roofer isn`t doing it like that. He`s going for the rafters (I go in the loft, and give him distance from internal pine end, and spacing), drilling the same way (yes, it penetrates the felt, but its over the rafter. IF there is a weep, it`ll run down the rafter, and out at the soffit. He`s also using pieces of lead, `cos he considers flashband to be a temp fix; rather than a permanent waterproofing solution.

To a point, I don`t care much. The roof, and its continued weathertightness, is the roofers` responsibility. If I get a call about a roof leaking, HE is going to go and fix it, at his own expense!

We started with method one, and are currently trying method two. Not worried about penetrating felt/membrane if its on a rafter with big bracket pinning it down - water isn't that keen to find a path past such a set-up

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:59 ----------

I hate bl**dy slates,
+1

Mine was done by lifting the slate, screwing the bracket into the truss, each bracket then has a bit of lead flashing formed round it, then the slate cut round it, looks good and I am happy regards to it being water tight. Not a bit of silicone in sight, I hate seeing silicone used on roofs like that, as it is sure to fail in a couple of years.

I`ll float that idea with the roofer tomorrow - only issue I can see is the cost - that`ll be a lot of lead! And you`d still have to fix it - tingles won`t work too well, given the weight of the lead.

I do know of a company that gets special brackets made combining the rail bracket and a replacement slate (in metal of course) so its basically a repalcement slate.

Update:

Roofer has decided that having 1 70mm fix into the rafters every 1.5 metres or so, with the intervening ones into batten (25mm screws) - he found it was taking him too long - we`ve just been back to the job from yesterday - 14 of the Sharp 185w modules (1 x 1.3), in two rows of seven, on click-fit. They only got TWO rails in yesterday; today was much quicker (though there were three of us out there, `cos all the internal work was done.

n.b. First timer for me tomorrow - "solar edge" inverter. Not allowed to commission until customer pays - must have photo of generation meter, with photo of the days newspaper, to prove the date!!!!! In ruddy Worcester!

Next week, it looks like we have a Wolverhampton job!!!!! DEKE / Trailer Boy! fancy some lodgers??? :slap

(The roofer`ll GET a slap if it isn`t finished in the day!!!!!!!)

I`d have difficulty getting a germ in the van mate - its ruddy brimmed.

And I don`t have a towbar fitted - hazard to the ankles!!!!!

AC run is down the outside of the building in SWA.

My 2 issues are:

1. The "Solar Edge" is a non-galvanic inverter; yet no separate RCD ("B" type should to be fitted, I thought), though it apparently has an internal RCD.

2. Although the issues about connecting to a spare way have been highlighted, that`s what they`re specifying.

This is a contracted job for another company - I`ve made my thoughts clear to the company I sub to; and intend to note them down as deviations - though the "B" type isn`t spec`d in 7671, so can`t be a deviation.

The solar edge units use small modules connected behind the PV panels - they only output 1VDC each, until connected to the inverter - so Isc is going to be a non-starter. Looks like fun!!!! :coat

If the manuf says it cannot feed DC on to the supply circuit no need for a type B RCD.

Thing is a transformer less inverter is not galvanically isolated between i.p. & o.p. as I understand things so, it can.

Hence the concern.

Wozz,

This is the point KME is making the inverter he is fitting does not have separation between d.c. & a.c. sides AFAIK.

Some SMA inverters also do not but most do, there is obviously a reason for the client or "consultant" picking this one, but lord knows why!