DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sign in to follow this  
Tradesman4u

Tradesman4u.com

Sidewinder

Thing is the Welsh Counties changed in 1996!

Tradesman4u
Thing is the Welsh Counties changed in 1996!

Cheers for that link. Its really appreciated. They'll be changes!!!!

M107

Please do not take the following as a bashing of your idea or site, it is I hope some constructive criticisms from somebody who has in the past been caught (for a fair few quid) by a similar type of site.

At last terms & conditions that are very nearly understandable.........apart from 51 that is.....will you refund or will you not refund or will you say " sorry no refund but you now owe us

Tradesman4u

Hi M107,

Refunds are something I want to make as straight forward as possible as this is one of my own personal gripes. Sorry you got the sting treatment from 118trades. I don't really know too much about that site.

The T&C's now read

37.Any claim for reimbursement must be made within 21 days of the purchase of the contact details. A homeowner changing their mind about a requirement for work is not a valid reason for a reimbursement and is between you and the homeowner and you agree that some customers may not always require a site visit. If you have incurred out of pocket expenses these are to be recovered from the customer.

Hopefully that is a much better window

51.You understand and agree that all transactions are final and that no refunds are available, other than those specified in our refund policy. If for any reason Tradesman4u.com Ltd decide to refund any monies, a fee of 65 pence will become due, to cover our payment processors administration charges and will be deducted from your refund. If you break any of these Terms & Conditions you will not be eligible for a refund.

The T&C's were done a little while ago before I knew exactly what our costs were, however, now we have worldpay/streamline set up they charge 65p to us for processing a refund so for now I think its 'reasonable' to recover that. Let me know if you think otherwise.

Cheers

Dave

M107

:Salute

Thanks for taking my comments as they were intended, I was worried that I might have caused some offence.

Tradesman4u
:Salute

Thanks for taking my comments as they were intended, I was worried that I might have caused some offence.

To be honest I really appreciate your comments. No offence at all. Since joining the forum I've had some really good feedback so it all good with me. :)

kme

Wellllll.

I must admit, the generic idea of these sites puts me off. I find your personal attitude laudable - someone actually trying to make a decent, honest site can`t be wrong. Plus, Admin has accepted you as a sponsor - so he "approves" of you.

Anyway. I`ve had a look around, and I was considering joining - until I read the T&Cs.

I`m sorry - but items 52-55 inclusive put me off completely, regardless of anything else. Suddenly, with no warning, you`re charging me for being a member, and there is nowt I can do about it? I don`t think that`s for me, mate. No offence.

KME :coat

Tradesman4u

Hi kme, thats no problem at all. I completely understand some people have a lot of apprehention over these sites and and they aren't for everyone.

I should say though that I don't think the t&c's you mention mean we're suddenly charging you for membership. The site is free to join/be a member of and always will be. All t&c's would have a t&c within them to say the t&c's might change. Mouthful. I can appreciate what you're saying but I need to keep it so we can change a membership condition should for example we want to start asking for insurances policies or testimonials as a membership condition then we can do this without anyone challenging us. I'll perhaps find a better way of wording 54.

Cheers Dave

Tradesman4u

Hopefully worded better now.

54.Tradesman4u.com Ltd reserves the right to alter the way it operates its method and regulation of membership at any time and you will be noticed of this. We may request additional information, relating to your business, and failure to provide this may result in us cancelling your membership or suspending your membership until it has been provided.

Obviously we want quality tradesmen on the site so should we request information relating to insurance policies, trade memberships, testimonials and so on I need to have this in so I can effectively cancel a membership if someone is unable to provide it. At the moment resources don't stretch to being able to do this now but in future I will most likely be requesting these and thus need to be able to go back to people at anytime and request this info.

Cheers

Dave

Sidewinder
Hopefully worded better now.

54.Tradesman4u.com Ltd reserves the right to alter the way it operates its method and regulation of membership at any time and you will be noticed notified of this. We may request additional information, relating to your business, and failure to provide this may result in us cancelling your membership or suspending your membership until it has been provided.

Obviously we want quality tradesmen on the site so should we request information relating to insurance policies, trade memberships, testimonials and so on I need to have this in so I can effectively cancel a membership if someone is unable to provide it. At the moment resources don't stretch to being able to do this now but in future I will most likely be requesting these and thus need to be able to go back to people at anytime and request this info.

Cheers

Dave

Dave please see suggestion in your quoted post above.

My strike through & red.

Having reviewed the T's & C's again then it is beginning to concern me a little also.

I am concerned over the possibility that one could not cancel membership, and payments.

I can understand that you would want to ensure that you are paid for any leads you provide, however, the subscriber must have the right to cancel and terminate any future payments for a service that they no longer use, unless you have a minimum subscription period for example.

Tradesman4u

No worries Sidey I will sort that tonight. Posting on my phone is seriously hard work.

Tradesman4u
Dave please see suggestion in your quoted post above.

My strike through & red.

Having reviewed the T's & C's again then it is beginning to concern me a little also.

I am concerned over the possibility that one could not cancel membership, and payments.

I can understand that you would want to ensure that you are paid for any leads you provide, however, the subscriber must have the right to cancel and terminate any future payments for a service that they no longer use, unless you have a minimum subscription period for example.

Were you referring to 52, it stated that cancelling membership did not cancel your acceptance of the t&c's. Thats the nearest one I can see that tie's in. Anyway I've completely reworded it, as I agree that if someone wants to cancel a membership in full then thats fine (even if the membership is free, a business may go under or a partnership splits and so on then someone may want to cancel it), there should never really be an instance of outstanding payment as membership costs nothing and leads are paid for at the point of sale so there's no account running up so to speak. If you don't pay for the lead then you don't receive it its as straight forward as that. It now reads:-

52. You can cancel your membership at anytime, you are not in a contracted period and therefore no notice is required. Should there be an outstanding payment due this would need settling at the time of cancellation. Should you wish to just stop receiving leads you should switch off lead notifications temporarily in your account area rather than cancel your account, as once your account is closed we will not be able to reopen it, and should you wish to rejoin tradesman4u all your previous feedback and lead history will be lost. Cancellation requests should be done in writing quoting your membership number to cancellations@tradesman4u.com and will be cancelled within 2 working days.

Hopefully that takes out any confusion over that one.

Cheer again

Dave

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:54 ----------

Just a quick one to say I'm changing the pricing slightly so that any lead in the 0-

M107

I have to say I am impressed with the acceptance of the ideas/recomendations given by fellow forumites, it does show you are wanting to provide a decent service....well done & hope it goes well for you & those that sign up.

Tradesman4u
I have to say I am impressed with the acceptance of the ideas/recomendations given by fellow forumites, it does show you are wanting to provide a decent service....well done & hope it goes well for you & those that sign up.

Cheers mate I really appreciate that. One of the best things about being able to sponsor the forum is having the ability to have an open discussion like this one and get lots of other sets of eyes to look over the site. I do think if we get it set right from the outset we might have a chance of it being a success. So far all the feedback/suggestions I've had have gone to improve the site which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Cheers again tho. Dave

SPECIAL LOCATION

Well.....

Welcome to the forum Dave AKA (Tradesman4U)

I am not going to pretend that I like these sort of sites..

on the whole I dont...

(I was a member of another trade body that ran a trades person finding site....

T'was a load of carp expecting you to pay for a quote that the customer only wanted to pay

Tradesman4u

If you click About Us at the top all the contact details are there. At the bottom our limited company is listed also.

Tradesman4u.com Ltd

20 Bispham Rd

Cleveleys

FY5 2RN

Tel 01253 857577

Cheers Dave

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 07:58 ----------

Just had it added to the contact page also. Cheers

Sidewinder

One other comment you have Fforest-fach (SA5) on your website, trust me it is Fforestfach (SA5) there is no hyphen.

I see you have updated some counties, though you still are using the old Glamorgan County names, I suspect that you have bought an address database?

Many of these don't seem to have been updated, but this is a minor point.

On an aesthetic point, and a personal one at that, I am not keen on the semi transparent drop down menu's I find it makes them hard to read.

Tradesman4u

Hi Sidey, we are working on that county list but its a bit of a job. I suspect it is some sort of database purchase as you say, obviously its the web company that bought it as I wouldn't have a clue. Why on earth a database thats 16 years out of date is still available is beyond me. I challenged the main person and he actually says many sites including RP use the same database. Anyway its a manual process now, so unlucky for him! Was a great spot though so cheers.

On those translucent menu's I'll see if they can be made solid. Its a fair point. Watch this space.

Sidewinder

Dave,

You would be amazed, you are not the only company using that database I bought some pneumatic fittings from a website yesterday and guess what...

Yep still West Glamorgan!

SPECIAL LOCATION
If you click About Us at the top all the contact details are there. At the bottom our limited company is listed also.

Tradesman4u.com Ltd

20 Bispham Rd

Cleveleys

FY5 2RN

Tel 01253 857577

Cheers Dave

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 07:58 ----------

Just had it added to the contact page also. Cheers

:Blushing

I stand corrected,

And IMHO, now you have added it to the contacts page, (which is where I personally expect to find it), that is better....

;)

I would agree that you need the e-mail contact as the preferred method..

But I always lose confidence with any organisation that you have to hunt around for real bricks and mortar addresses!

Not that it matters much but I would have worded the contacts page something like:-

For a fastest response please e-mail your questions and feedback using our form below.

We want you to get the best out of Tradesman4u. We aim to respond to your email within 1 working days.

Or you can write to us at the following address.

{address bit}

Or telephone during normal office hours 9:00 - 17:00 Mon to Fri (excluding bank holidays)

{phone number bit}

:popcorn

I will add some other observations in a bit about the job categories....

Tradesman4u
:Blushing

I stand corrected,

And IMHO, now you have added it to the contacts page, (which is where I personally expect to find it), that is better....

;)

I would agree that you need the e-mail contact as the preferred method..

But I always lose confidence with any organisation that you have to hunt around for real bricks and mortar addresses!

Not that it matters much but I would have worded the contacts page something like:-

For a fastest response please e-mail your questions and feedback using our form below.

We want you to get the best out of Tradesman4u. We aim to respond to your email within 1 working days.

Or you can write to us at the following address.

{address bit}

Or telephone during normal office hours 9:00 - 17:00 Mon to Fri (excluding bank holidays)

{phone number bit}

:popcorn

I will add some other observations in a bit about the job categories....

I'm liking that. I've made a couple of tweaks so it reads more as suggested. You're gonna start bashing my job categories now aren't you. Gulp :)

SPECIAL LOCATION

Right, heres a few more things for you to consider....

The types/categories of work... (especially the Electrician box)

Electrician only has 7 very broad categories..:|:C

Whereas

A gardener/designer has 16.

A plumber has 8.

A carpenter/joiner has 17.

A plasterer has 11.

Roofers & Security blokes both have 10.

Now I am fully aware that there is a lot of cross-over skill with Security/TV/Electrical/Heating trades etc..

BUT

I would expect all of the key elements involved with electrical work to be an option listed under the Electricians box?

I am guessing this is because you have limited past experience of the electrical trade?

Without a greater idea of what a customer wants done....

It would be hard to decide if you wanted to pay for a lead for a job that if you had known a bit more you may have thought I would never have quoted for that job anyway!!!!

For example....

Electric shower, Some electricians will NOT touch the water pipe works, (they get a plumber mate to do those bits for them), others will!

And which box does the customer select?

power showers and pumps are listed for plumbers...

But I can't see Electric showers listed?

Lighting & power internal...

covers ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in a house?

say a customer has a faulty electric storage heater..

which box do they tick?

Some customers are notoriously bad at describing what they want done....

So in the current trends of government guidance you need to help "nudge" them into giving as much info as possible...

IMHO it would be better if the customer had the same tick-box options (i.e. multiple boxes can be ticked) to select their work as the tradesmen do to select the type of work they do.

For example the following seven categories would at the moment be under your lighting & power internal..

• Lighting
  • Power
  • Showers
  • Cookers
  • New circuit
  • Addition to exsisting
  • Fault finding.

But if the customer could select any combination of the above, it would give me far more info to decide if I wanted to"buy" your sales lead.

And the customer still only has to put a few ticks and not worry about writing long descriptions of works...

I will try and put up some more/better suggested ideas for additional categories in a bit if you are interested?

:put the kettle on

Tradesman4u

That is a great post cheers mate. I'll go through it properly tonight as I'm reduced to looking at it on a crappy phone screen. Your help (& time) is really appreciated. I'll come back to you properly tonight. Dave

Admin
That is a great post cheers mate. I'll go through it properly tonight as I'm reduced to looking at it on a crappy phone screen. Your help (& time) is really appreciated. I'll come back to you properly tonight. Dave

I was going to say that I am impressed with the answers and your response to them Dave.

Also, please feel free to "thank" a post by clicking on the "Like" link within it.

And more so, please add to, if you think it warrents it, the posters reputation by clicking on the black star symbol on the bottom left of each post. You can add a Positive or Negative reputation (negs are annonymous) and you can also add a comment in there too.

The reputation is then added (pos) or deducted (neg) in each post (the little green bars on the top right of each post).

:D

Tradesman4u

Hi Admin, cheers, I didn't know about the reputation thing. I'll certainly be using that in future. Shame I have none. Dave

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:45 ----------

Right, heres a few more things for you to consider....

The types/categories of work... (especially the Electrician box)

Electrician only has 7 very broad categories..:|:C

Whereas

A gardener/designer has 16.

A plumber has 8.

A carpenter/joiner has 17.

A plasterer has 11.

Roofers & Security blokes both have 10.

Now I am fully aware that there is a lot of cross-over skill with Security/TV/Electrical/Heating trades etc..

BUT

I would expect all of the key elements involved with electrical work to be an option listed under the Electricians box?

I am guessing this is because you have limited past experience of the electrical trade?

Without a greater idea of what a customer wants done....

It would be hard to decide if you wanted to pay for a lead for a job that if you had known a bit more you may have thought I would never have quoted for that job anyway!!!!

For example....

Electric shower, Some electricians will NOT touch the water pipe works, (they get a plumber mate to do those bits for them), others will!

And which box does the customer select?

power showers and pumps are listed for plumbers...

But I can't see Electric showers listed?

Lighting & power internal...

covers ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in a house?

say a customer has a faulty electric storage heater..

which box do they tick?

Some customers are notoriously bad at describing what they want done....

So in the current trends of government guidance you need to help "nudge" them into giving as much info as possible...

IMHO it would be better if the customer had the same tick-box options (i.e. multiple boxes can be ticked) to select their work as the tradesmen do to select the type of work they do.

For example the following seven categories would at the moment be under your lighting & power internal..

• Lighting
  • Power
  • Showers
  • Cookers
  • New circuit
  • Addition to exsisting
  • Fault finding.

But if the customer could select any combination of the above, it would give me far more info to decide if I wanted to"buy" your sales lead.

And the customer still only has to put a few ticks and not worry about writing long descriptions of works...

I will try and put up some more/better suggested ideas for additional categories in a bit if you are interested?

:put the kettle on

Cheers again for this. There's some really good suggestions, I'm not too sure how we could work it in to give the customer more tick box style options like you mention. The homepage needs to have this is dropdown menu style (and of course you can only select one in that example) as it wouldn't look particularly attractive, I don't think, to a potential poster to have it in the same format as when a tradesman registers.

Perhaps an option could be that if a customer selects 'electrician' in box 1, then if in box 2 they select 'Internal power and lighting' a third dropdown box could appear which would then have, Full Rewire, Showers, Cookers, New Circuits etc to drive it down to a more accurate description. I'll get my head around that I'm sure.

One thing that does happen is that the full contents of the description box gets emailed to you in the lead email so providing they are fairly explanatory in that box you will get the full description, which hopefully will make your decision a bit easier on whether you want the lead or not. I know some other websites, literally give you a tiny tiny snippet of the job and expect you to buy it or not based on a 1 line description. I do agree that customers are notoriously bad a describing a job though. I could make it so that the description box requires a minimum number of characters before it is accepted, to promote a more thorough description. I still think a customer description is the best way to make a decision over tick boxes, so its a case of getting them to do this properly.

I'm going to have a mouseover/flyout appear when they hover their mouse over the description box, which will pop up a message explaining to them the needs and benefits of providing a thorough and accurate job description.

I am actually a partner in a plumbing and electrical contractors too mate so I'm giving myself an -F for not having more options in the electrician tab. We all know gardeners should have way more categories really!

I will get my head round the best way of doing this though.

Dave