part p joke

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a neighbour of mine has to my surprise passed an electrical course with a training company in town (never heard of them)

to cut a long story short i gets a phone call at 6pm monday night by my local napit inspector asking if i was home/available to come have a chat with neighbour so along i pop to find neighbour having his assessment in the comfort of his living room

i get asked if i know the details of my megger tester as this guy has not purchased one yet and the info needs to be imputted or the assessment cant be completed, guy is in process of buying a tester when he gets paid!

the following questions were being asked

how would you prove isolation?

answer a sketchy 'voltage tester on live terminal then switch off check isolation followed by testing live contacts of switch to prove tester not faulty'

how would you find the pfc?

no idea

how would you test the Ze?

at the meter

you mean at the incoming supply?

yes with my tester

can you describe how you would do this?

no, ive never done it before

do you know what the difference is between Ze and Zs?

ones the incoming reading the other is the circuit reading

which is which?

cant remember

what system is this?

(shows tncs diagram)

tns?

no try again

tncs?

correct and this is?

(shows tt diagram)

is that the one with an electrode?

how would you test an electrode?

no idea

the list went on and on, the guy has been a industrial engineer of some kind but clearly has no idea of testing but has completed his inspection and testing course

finally

no problem, you need to brush up on some things but .....welcome on board!...

speechless.....

(he is enrolled as domestic installer and for pv)

half of me wants to complain th napit half is thinking whats the point really....

I think I'd be complaining TBH

The reason being that you spend a lot of time, effort and money to keep your skills and knowledge up to date so that you can comply with all the applicable regulations,,, if this guy doesn't know the answer to these simple but very important questions then how on earth could he be trusted to go out into the real world and do a good job safely?

you have to ask the question

who started the gravy train,,,,,,and does he care ??????

not now........

finallyno problem, you need to brush up on some things but .....welcome on board!...

speechless.....

hang on I thought you had to have work to inspect which had certs issued & is registred will building control ?

All the Schemes have standards of entry that are dangerous in my opinion, that now means that the "Competent Person database" is a Corrupt mess the Public should not rely on to decide whether a person is Competent or not.

The Schemes entry requirements are only compliant with the EAS standards which they wrote themselves, which also condones the dangerous QS system in the Domestic market place.

Scheme membership is not governed by the EAWR, BS7671, or even Part P 2006 definitions of COMPETENT, WHY because that would limit membership to Competent Electricians, which would decrease Membership and Profits.

Changes to the Part P regulations are going to be issued next month in a Government consultation document.

Your Schemes have been discussing what changes Electricians want in Part P MK2 with DCLG (Government) for the last six months, are you all aware of what they have been stating on your behalf?

It will not be setting a standard, that Electricians and the Public want. :(

Hi All,

Yes, but it all changes in january, No NVQ 3, No scheme membership... Is that not what you all want???

Makes life very difficult for me, but, i suppose it is what all you properly "qualified" chaps want, [and deserve may i add]

john..

John, the NVQ3 issue is being bandied about in the wrong context. The text that I have seen has asked for a Level 3 installation qualification such as the NVQ3 or equivalent. Other equivalent qualifications are the 2330 and the AM2. I don't have the NVQ3 but after the 1st of January, I shall be signing up with NAPIT, as they ask for the 2330 or equivalent as a minimum qualification to enroll with them.

AndyGuinness

Why did you let them use your tester details if you didn't agree with what was going on?

I am sure the assessor I have for ELECSA would not be that lapse. Wonder how bad his work is then if his theory isn't there. Also wonder why he booked his assessment knowing he didnt have an MFT or any proper test kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to complain to napit, are you napit?

On my napit inspection I had a site visit and had to phisicly show I could test!

Also how did he get it I had to give copy's of all my Certs and they also require 2391 and 17th or give you 6 months to do it! ( as I have to do my 17th update)

Also I had lots pf questions on the l

Regs and asked about max readings and rcd trip times etc

Does sound abit of a joke soon napit will get a bad name and I will have to move to nic or

More respected provider

a neighbour of mine has to my surprise passed an electrical course with a training company in town (never heard of them)

to cut a long story short i gets a phone call at 6pm monday night by my local napit inspector asking if i was home/available to come have a chat with neighbour so along i pop to find neighbour having his assessment in the comfort of his living room

i get asked if i know the details of my megger tester as this guy has not purchased one yet and the info needs to be imputted or the assessment cant be completed, guy is in process of buying a tester when he gets paid!

the following questions were being asked

how would you prove isolation?

answer a sketchy 'voltage tester on live terminal then switch off check isolation followed by testing live contacts of switch to prove tester not faulty'

how would you find the pfc?

no idea

how would you test the Ze?

at the meter

you mean at the incoming supply?

yes with my tester

can you describe how you would do this?

no, ive never done it before

do you know what the difference is between Ze and Zs?

ones the incoming reading the other is the circuit reading

which is which?

cant remember

what system is this?

(shows tncs diagram)

tns?

no try again

tncs?

correct and this is?

(shows tt diagram)

is that the one with an electrode?

how would you test an electrode?

no idea

the list went on and on, the guy has been a industrial engineer of some kind but clearly has no idea of testing but has completed his inspection and testing course

finally

no problem, you need to brush up on some things but .....welcome on board!...

speechless.....

half of me wants to complain th napit half is thinking whats the point really....
 REPORT THEM

To think, when you see those DIY programs, they always come out with the line, "only use a registered electrician, it's your only guarantee of quality workmanship" , hearing this just proves what some of us have said all along, it's all about the money!

I know I'm as guilty of having a go at the short course brigade as a lot of people, but this proves a lot of them don't know what they're doing, short courses should only be available to people with the relevant experience, as a way of getting qualifications, not as a way of turning out halfwits to wreak havoc on the unsuspecting public.

He NEEDS reporting, suppose he kills someone, could you live with that on your conscience? knowing you could have prevented it!

One has to ask though, are these assessors paid bonuses for every member they sign up?