Emergency Lighting - Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a little stuck on an emergency light that i've wired and was hoping someone might be able to put me right if possible.

It's a Thorn non-maintained emergency light.

4 terminals on light:

L1

L2

N

E

I've taken the permanent live to L1, the switch live to L2, and the neutral to N and the earth to E via an emergency light switch i.e. Live and switch into back of switch.

The problem i'm having is that when I operate the fish switch to cut the power the light doesn't come on but when I turn off the MCB the light does come on. This would suggest that when operating the fish switch the power isn't being cut off.

Can anyone suggest what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Should be perm live to L1 of EM light switch then switch wire from L2 EM light switch to live connection of light.

With switched closed this will charge the batts of light and in event of power failure or operation of switch this will bring the EM light on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be perm live to L1 of EM light switch then switch wire from L2 EM light switch to live connection of light.With switched closed this will charge the batts of light and in event of power failure or operation of switch this will bring the EM light on.
So from L2 at switch to L1 at light i.e. no connection in L2 at light?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:26 ----------

Check with a volt meter if the power to that particular light is actually going off when you activate the fish key.
I tried that. Power to L2 is going off. Power to L1 remains continuous with it being a permanent live.

Hi guys,Just a little stuck on an emergency light that i've wired and was hoping someone might be able to put me right if possible.

4 terminals on light:

L1

L2

N

E

I've taken the permanent live to L1, the switch live to L2, and the neutral to N and the earth to E via an emergency light switch i.e. Live and switch into back of switch.

The problem i'm having is that when I operate the fish switch to cut the power the light doesn't come on but when I turn off the MCB the light does come on. This would suggest that when operating the fish switch the power isn't being cut off.

Thanks
???

Hi guys,Just a little stuck on an emergency light that i've wired and was hoping someone might be able to put me right if possible.

4 terminals on light:

L1

L2

N

E

Thanks
is L1 perm live and L2 switched live? i assume you have read the instructions?

surely it wouldnt have taken long to confirm if the switch was infact the problem or not...

So from L2 at switch to L1 at light i.e. no connection in L2 at light?---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:26 ----------

I tried that. Power to L2 is going off. Power to L1 remains continuous with it being a permanent live.
^ suggests he's using the fish key on the switch live and not the permanent live?

Are you sure it's a non-maintained light?

The switch feed would keep the batts charged and the when open circuit EM light comes on i.e key switch or power lose of circuit.

This is a MAINTAINED fitting

If you do not require it to be used as an ordinary light then ignore L2 and just switch the feed to L1 via your key switch.

(when I turn off the MCB the light does come on) Sorry I obviously didn't read the post properly!😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(when I turn off the MCB the light does come on) Sorry I obviously didn't read the post properly!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deffo sounds like a non maintained fitting... in which case you have your emergency live from L1 or Load side of the key switch (depending on what type of key switch you have) and a neutral either from the switch (if you have taken mains there or from another lighting point)

non maintained means the light would be out in normal circumstances with a charge light on and in the event of a loss of power then the em live would be broken and the battery would kick in (the battery is often left disconnected in transit)

Maintained Fittings have the L1 & L2 as they require an emergency live and a switch live so the light can operate as a normal light ( if you dont have an emergency live at the light then the L1 & L2 can be linked at the fitting which means the light will operate via the switch and go into battery mode when the switch is open

I mean deffo sounds like a maintained fitting:^O

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of emergency fittings can be either maintained or non maintained depending what you require so you wire to suit. we need to know what actually is required to give correct information.

A lot of emergency fittings can be either maintained or non maintained depending what you require so you wire to suit.
Most MAINTAINED fittings can be left unlit by omitting the switch wire,

The easy way to tell if you have maintained or non maintained is to read the sticker on the gear tray !