P.I.R. Sensor lights keep flashing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnetic

Reaction score
Hi, i installed three sensor lights at a customers house, but when it gets dark all three lights seem to keep flashing, not simultanously but on there own. I have tried adjusting the 'lux' and 'sensor' but they still keep doing the same problem, ive even turned them off from the mains but have had no joy. I was wondering if anybody has come across this and how i can resolve it.

have you considered installing a glittter ball to complete the effect ?

Are they cheapies from Makro or Aldi ? We stick with a couple of well know brands now as the call backs from a lot of these are so high alternatively we get the customer to purchase them so its not our problem, same as dimmer switches with GU10 lamps

Yeah i've terminated the connections correctly, and the lights were suppled by the customer. I do think the lights where a cheap make, but i'm suprised that all three are doing the same, what do think is the best solution?

I've had the same problem with b&q security lights, these ones were meant to have dusk till dawn settings on them. Only problem was when it became dusk they would just flash. Had to turn off the dusk till dawn setting and use them as security lights only. Seems to be a fault on a big batch of them. Maybe you have the same sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i've terminated the connections correctly, and the lights were suppled by the customer. I do think the lights where a cheap make, but i'm suprised that all three are doing the same, what do think is the best solution?
There are no boiler exhaust outlets near by are there?

Had one set off every time the boiler fired up.

But I think it is most likely damp or something got into the electronics of the PIR timer & sensor gubbins....

I have had this before knackerd circuit card, once the light is triggers the timer went into never ending loop of

on-off-on-off-on-off... etc... like a bl00dy light house!

You could take one off the wall and put put it in a controlled environment for a short test...

e.g. wire it up in your garage so you now nothing should set it off

Gut feeling, they need new lights, unless they are the sort that you can access the wiring between the lamp and the PIR circuit, in which case you could get a stand-alone PIR to work the lights...

But it may be cheaper to just buy new lights.

;) :|

Old thread aye. Well I have never had this before but did a while back the original PIR light was doing it so I suggested a new one. I fitted a timeguard one and this was doing the same thing intermittently going on and off. Now it was extremely cold at the time so I put it down to this. I had tested voltage and all was correct. I haven't been back yet to check things out. Will let you know outcome when I do go back.