DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Sign in to follow this  
betty swollocks

young mother electrocuted

betty swollocks
Revved Up Sparky

Thanks for that BS, I could'nt get your link to work so I hope you don't mind me posting another :-

Young mother electrocuted as she mopped up water from leaky boiler died after catalogue of workmen's errors | Mail Online

A very tragic story. The report states :-

"A screw fixing up plasterboard in apartments had gone through a cable, causing live electricity to escape into the stud wall. This had not been detected because insulation resistance tests had not been carried out properly on the wiring, the inquest heard and water from the boiler also became live when some of it seeped under the skirting board. In their inquisition form, members of the jury blasted 'the failure to report a known hazard of trapping cables and not making tradesmen aware of this fact'. They found further fault in the fact there had been no drawings prepared of the site, so that workmen would know where electricity 'safe zones' were in the flat"

For me it especially highlights the vital importance of complying with the relevant zones when running cables and where applicable, providing RCD protection on circuits buried in walls at a depth of less than 50mm.

Edited by Revved Up Sparky

Andy™

er... if the screw was only in the live, then an IR test would have been clear. if the screw was shorting L-E then it would have tripped the breaker...

its also possible that the IR test was carried out properly and in accordance with 7671, and the screw was installed after the sparky had finished

betty swollocks

^ my thoughts exactly ^

but somehow that doesnt quite make the story sensational enough

job could have been completed to the regs but screw inserted as sparks was driving away

only thing is if a cert had been issued i'm sure it would have been mentioned in the report

i once got a call from a plasterer i know who was getting a shock while skimming a kitchen

turns out the corner bead he nailed up had caught a light switch cable piercing the line and the dampness of the plaster was making the damp wall appear to 'tingle' to the touch (his words not mine)

i passed on the chance to test his theory

Theorysparky

Guys

the best bit has been missed out ......

Black Country coroner Robin Balmain told the inquest that he would use coroner

Nicky Tesla

They found further fault in the fact there had been no drawings prepared of the site, so that workmen would know where electricity 'safe zones' were in the flat.

Ive never seen one of these drawings when on site, and would not expect to see one in a domestic property.

I also expect she had bare feet and maybe leant on a cooker or something. Arn't steel studded walls supposed to be RCD protected now

Gas safe engineers do the fitting of the boiler not the electrics, so was it one of the screws that hold the boiler fixing plate. If so, what a dumb place to lay your cable safe zone or not.

snt

SPECIAL LOCATION

:(Earlier in the inquest the electrical firm had been under scrutiny for the competence of their staff...

Anchor fitted the electrics at the flat but the trio told jurors yesterday that only staff who had passed a course in electrical testing could carry out safety checks.

And they could not explain why electrician

Canoeboy

It would be best if the certificates and inspections were carried out by properly qualified through both training, qualifications and experience electricians and the fatally flawed QS system for muppets was stopped

The scams have no interest in this though as it would slow down the gravy train

Hey Ho - we can only wish :slap

hxsarge
:(Earlier in the inquest the electrical firm had been under scrutiny for the competence of their staff...
Anchor fitted the electrics at the flat but the trio told jurors yesterday that only staff who had passed a course in electrical testing could carry out safety checks.

And they could not explain why electrician’s mate Christopher Tomkins, whose tests were branded “farcical” by an electrical engineering expert, was allowed to work alone at the flat.

“No mate would have been sent to do testing without an electrician by their side,” said Mr Sketchley, from Stafford.

He was responding to evidence given on Thursday by the project’s testing inspector, Darren Gilchreest, that Mr Tomkins had been asked to carry out tests on the wiring on his own and felt uncomfortable about it.

West Bromwich electrocution death: Company bosses defend safety measures - Top Stories - News - Birmingham Mail

Now there is a question that pops up here now and again....

I have done a 2week course got me part-P....

can I sign my own certificates????

:|

How often do we get questions from people who haven't got a clue

a) how to test...

B) what results are acceptable & unacceptable...

c) know what to do if they find something requiring attention...

oh err... I better ask on the internet how to fill out me Zs ..

cuz I forgot what we were told in the 1/2 day of the short course that did Zs....

Am I right the Zs must be over 1megohms????????:P

Good job the internet can tell me what to fill in cuz I got me assessment tomoroz...

I am using a new bathroom light at me grans house and a single to double socket at me mates,

as my assessment jobs......

And some people wonder why some of use get frustrated by numpties asking very very very basic questions...

These sort of things are what can happen...

It is Life and Death situations... not just Steptoe, (& others) getting their backs up cuz a 5WW hasn't got clue.

:coat

P.S.....

are you SURE I need to buy the On Site Guide AND BS7671???

My Maplins multimeter will do for testing wont it????

:(

Hey!!! I got it at Argos actually!!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.