My dog is drinking and urinating a lot

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wboughton

Reaction score
My 8 month old intact male sprocker has for around 2 weeks been drinking between 4 and 5 pints of water a day and urinating a lot. I have taken him to the vet and was asked to supply a urine sample which was very dilute but confirmed that he does not have diabetes.

Then a blood test was taken that showed that he had high calcium levels. A ultra sound scan of his abdomen was then done which showed no abnormalities.

Another blood test was taken to check the electrolyte ratio to see if he has addisons disease, which again came back negative.

The next step will be to have a chest x ray to look for any tumors, but this will only show a tumor of a certain size.

Another blood test will need to be done and sent off to Cambridge Uni to check to see if the calcium is ionsed?

Buzz is not showing any other symptoms, for example hes not being sick and his stools are normal. He seems in really good health apart from the drinking and urinating

I have also been asked if he has eaten a list of things like raisins,medical skin cream, etc..

I am really worried about him, has anyone got any ideas?? Please

This may be way out there but my dog drinks a lot more in winter i think it may have somthing to do with the centeral heating? :|

Very sorry for delay replying, only just spotted this thread. The RS feed seems to have broken?

Did your vet tell you how high the calcium was?

Not always but raised blood calcium can be a sign of cancer but there are other causes. The most common cancers causing this are anal gland tumours and prostate tumours, so it's a male dog thing. He's VERY young for cancer.

The ionized calcium lets us know whether the actual active calcium level (rather than the total) is raised. Another hormone they may discuss measuring is something called parathyroid hormone.

Is he insured? Any more news?

Thank you for replying, unfortunately hes not insured.

The vet has checked him for anal gland tumours and all was ok.

The x ray is being done tomorrow along with an ultra sound on his neck, checking for tumours.

The blood test that has to be sent to Cambridge is

those symptoms are like diabetes in humans. Can dogs get diabetes?

those symptoms are like diabetes in humans. Can dogs get diabetes?
Yes dogs and cats both get diabetes. To get it so young would be exceptional. The raised calcium doesn't fit and I am 100% sure they would have checked blood glucose level in the initial blood panel.

Buzz went for a scan on his neck and a chest x ray yesterday and everything was normal.

I was told that his levels of calcium were 4 and the normal is 3.5, not knowing what the scale is this does not mean much to me.

I have decided that I wont progress any further with investigations at present as there is no end to possibilities and have been told that I could possibly spend approx

If I remember correctly our lab range goes up to 3.0 so 4.0 is not through the roof. It is relatively normal for a young dog to have a slightly raised calcium level due to the growth going on. This may turn out to be nothing.

The only realistic thing you can do is encourage water consumption as it will help 'flush' the kidneys. Adding water to the food, sometimes a little squash in the water makes them drink more.

Let me know how you get on :D

Thank you for that.

I hope your that's all it is... him growing

He drinks plenty and I also put water with his dry food.

Thanks again.

Will let you know how he is doing.

Although that is a lot of water how hot is your house. The only reason i ask my daughter brings home a dog from the kennels where she works and she drinks a lot when the house is hot.

Hi,

He seems to be slowing down a lot with his water and he is managing his water works very well now.

I don't know if he is managing his illness or if he is on the mend!!!

It seems very strange.

An update for you...

Buzz is back to normal with his drinking and toilet habits, and being as a normal naughty puppy should be!!

Thank you for your advice and words of encouragement

Thanks again

Thank you for the good news update, Wbroughton.

We appreciate that. It's good to know he is back on form and upto puppy naughtyness. :)