Really Want An Electrician Apprenticeship! HELP

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrUnleashed

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently 18 have 10 GCSE's A-C in maths, science, English and others. 2 As levels in physical education and English Language.

I am very, very interested in becoming an electrician and have applied to places like national grid who are taking forever to advance me to the next stage.

I am a very keen learner and have good initiative and crave an apprenticeship.

I would prefer an apprenticeship near Birmingham because of the public transport unless you over a vehicle with insurance cover, as I have a UK Full License. furthermore, accommodation would be great. national grid offer all of this but I am just putting the word out there just in case anyone is looking for an apprentice with a thirst for knowledge and success.

Thanks. Ben Spencer.

I can tell u now that you will be lucky for a firm to give u a van / car ect in the first year of your training... Certainly not accommodation.

The only people who would offer that are company who work for large contractors and power firms...

Some may but u can't assume they will sort you with all the trimmings on top

Good luck

I would agree with the above about perks,

I have never known an apprentice(never mind a 1st year), to be given a company vehicle or offered free accommodation.

until recently I worked for a company and the van was seen as a perk due to my low wages compared with my position in the firm, quite a lot of the other guys actually had to pay for the priviledge of being able to take their vans home, and NO personal usage allowed!!

as for accommodation, extremely unlikely, its not like the '80s where skilled workers were at a premium and could almost command conditions.

just be glad to even get an apprenticeship, and anything other than that is an added extra,

there are folks out there willing to work for free right now just to get some experience and a foot on the ladder, so you might want to lower your expectations somewhat.