My poor cat had to be put to sleep :(

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izziee

Reaction score
Hi, ever since i had to put my beautiful cat to sleep i have been hauted by what happened to her. She was fine completely normal other than that she had diariha i thought nothing of this as she had, had it before. The next day she hadnt had anymore diriha, she was eating fine abd seemed well, although she did seem to be drinking a little more than usuall. The next morning i awoke to her hiding under the table, he appeared to be blind and could not use her back legs, her breathing seem very shallow, when i said name the tip of her tail would move, i phones the vet straight away. Unfortunatly she had to be put to sleep :( she was my baby o am ansoloutly heartbroken! My vet couldnt tell me what caused this other than the fact it was something with her brain. I was wondering if anyone would know what caused this and why so quick! :(

Very sorry to here the sad news Izziee not sure what caused your cats problems but i do know how you feel. Probably not the same but we had to have our dog put to sleep last year as she got very aggressive and she bit my face which i needed hospital treatment for. As i said not the same but it is still very sad. I am sure pache resident vet possibly may have some ideas.

How old was the cat? Sounds like a condition called a thrombus-embolism. A blood clot forms in the body and suddenly gets dislodged, the first place it gets trapped is where the aorta (main vessel out of the heart) branch into four to supply the hind limbs. They lose sensation in the back legs but being able to twitch the tail is possible. The laboured breathing is from the pain and discomfort from the condition. May have been blind or in a lot of pain that causes the pupils to dilate and lack of awareness of stimulus. Treatment has a very low chance of success and euthanasia sound best for the cat. Fairly easy to diagnose as no pule in the back legs. That would be where my money would lie.

Thanks to Batty for pointing this thread out!

Thank you for taking your time to read this and replying.

I rescued her when she was a year old, which would make her 10, I believe she might have been older than this and the cat protection may have underestimated her age as i find it odd that she had already had 3 litters of kittens!

If she did have thrombus-embolism would she have seemed healthy 2-3 months before? We took her to the vet to be weighed for worm and flea treatment back in october, the vet said she appeared happy and healthy with a very healthy coat.

Thank you!

(PS Sorry for the many typos, it's difficult as Im doing this on my phone.)

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry for your loss. I felt exactly the same when I had my cat put to sleep. He was 19 years old. He was scrawny, stinky and a bag of bones and matted fur poor old boy, but I loved him and still miss him after 8 years. Don't blame yourself, you did all the right things x