All Region DVD player

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any experience with changing their DVD player to an All Region one .

The story is as follows, I bought a DVD off Ebay, at Christmas for the Missus, she,s just looked closely at it and its a Region 1 (USA) The Ebay advert did indicate this but like a fool I missed it . It was £25 so don't really want to write it off as experience.
Seller doesn't want to have it back but sent a code to alter our Samsung to All Region .

Not tried it yet as the Missus thinks it will ****** it up .

Last edited by a moderator:
Deke, you could rip it and re-burn it as region free on your PC,

I had my PC set up to ask me that as a default if I inserted a non UK DVD. if I clicked yes it just done its thing and spat me out a no region DVD at the end, albeit in about 2 hours, :Blushing , it was an old computer.!

just as an aside,

I recently tried to play a DVD on the computer that I had previously watched on the DVD player,

wouldnt play, and this was a region free DVD, WTF, just kept saying this was an encrypted DVD,

I had no idea what that was,

anyway, copied and pasted the error I got into Ubuntus command line and it downloaded everything I needed to not only watch the DVD on the PC but also to rip and burn it unencrypted.

BTW, most of my burning consists of doing it as image files so you have to press play on your DVD player to actually get it to play,

Im not that savy to get it to autoplay just yet, :|

just as an aside,I recently tried to play a DVD on the computer that I had previously watched on the DVD player,

wouldnt play, and this was a region free DVD, WTF, just kept saying this was an encrypted DVD,

I had no idea what that was,

anyway, copied and pasted the error I got into Ubuntus command line and it downloaded everything I needed to not only watch the DVD on the PC but also to rip and burn it unencrypted.

BTW, most of my burning consists of doing it as image files so you have to press play on your DVD player to actually get it to play,

Im not that savy to get it to autoplay just yet, :|
Steps this would sort out your PC if you were running m$, might be a Linux version out there

SlySoft AnyDVD HD

PC DVD's region lock after the 5th time you change the region (in firmware) AnyDVD will bypass

Last edited by a moderator:
Steps this would sort out your PC if you were running m$, might be a Linux version out thereSlySoft AnyDVD HD

PC DVD's region lock after the 5th time you change the region (in firmware) AnyDVD will bypass
Robojin, I imagine there is a setting somewhere in my burning software to create a 'normal' DVD,

Im still waiting for Neil's lesson on that one, :Neil

Brian has been messing me about too much :C

the ripper/player in Ubuntu will read any region DVD and burn it however you want, ie, direct copy or non region and without encryption, and all for free too :D

Ubuntu simulates 'modifying' the firmware without affecting how the DVD actually operates, it doesnt actually change the region settings on the DVD drive,

it just makes the drive 'think' it has, until the disc is ejected then it reverts back to normal.

BTW, I use Arista , DeVeDe , Brasero, K3b , thats the ones I find easiest for a noob like myself, I know there are others out there that are probably much better, but they do the job for me, I just need to learn to use them properly for now, oh, the other thing I use is DVDshrink, [thanks SW ;) ].

Has anyone any experience with changing their DVD player to an All Region one .The story is as follows, I bought a DVD off Ebay, at Christmas for the Missus, she,s just looked closely at it and its a Region 1 (USA) The Ebay advert did indicate this but like a fool I missed it . It was

Thanks Jonoxnam , its actually a Samsung but I take your point !! I have the Samsung instructions.

Another point I would make on this subject, I notice on Amazon etc. that Series 1 DVDs are often a lot cheaper than Series 2 .

I collected the whole series of Frazier over a period, which were released @ two series per year , while being careful to order series 2, I noticed the series 1 were a third of the price for the UK ones.

making a dvd player region free is fine. ive done it myself (not for a while though, netflix removed the need for dvds for me). there is usually a lock on the number of times you can do it, but that is almost entirely pointless since setting it to all regions only needs to be done once, and you can use any region.

I have a Samsung Blu-Ray player BDP-1600A and generally it's been great. A few years old. It's "semi" SMART as in it has Youtube and a few other bits but (thankfully) no Facebook access etc! Has two USB ports and network connectivity, plays MKVs after an official firmware update etc. For a good while it was my media server having an HDD plugged in to it loaded with films etc.

I did mess about trying to get it region free but gave up.......

Back to the firmware updates. As it is connected to the net, everytime I switch it on it tells me there's a firmware update & do I wish to proceed etc. I have done previously but reading up recently it seems that a few people have tried to update their firmware on older players like this and the thing has bricked with Samsung not wanting to know. Suggestions maybe that it's a subtle way of making you buy a new one!

I haven't tried it myself but I see no reason why it will do anything adverse to your DVD player. All you're doing is breaking the Region lock.