electrician apprentice wages!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkysam

Reaction score
Hi there, I've been studying the electrical field for about 3 years now, been working for an electrical maintenance company for over a year currently got 2330 level 2 and 3, 17th edition and currently 2 weeks into my 2391 course, working along side a sparky as an apprentice carrying out maintenance and testing, is 10k a year taking the p*** or is it just me,, I'm grateful for the job but I find the salary way to low , what do you think ??

Providing it meets the minimum wage requirements and whatever contractual agreements you have with your employer then there is no problem. We have a free employment market place in this country, so if you consider it way to low, the best thing would be to leave and go to another employer who will pay nearer to what you think you are worth. Unless of course there aren't higher paid equivalent jobs out there in which case the salary is not probably to low.

Doc H.

I dont see that age has any bearing on this,

Ive heard the argument before that a 30 year old with a wife, kids and a mortgage should be paid more than a 20 year old with no financial obligations,

I find that ludicrous, if they both have the same knowledge and experience then they should both be paid the same.

Maybe you should have a chat and be honest with them about your career hopes with them and see how it goes.

When I was an apprentice 30 years ago the rates were:

Percentage of craftsman (i.e. time served, qualified):

Year 1 - 35%

Year 2 - 50%

Year 3 - 65%

Year 4 - 80%

My son is serving his apprenticeship with me now, we use the same percentages (of JIB rates)

The way I look at it in years 1 & 2 employee wins (they are paid more than they earn), years 3 & 4 the employer wins (apprentice earns more than he's paid) - seems about right to me.

I'm paying my appy somewhat less than that.

There's 2.7mil unemployed, 900 odd 000 of whom are 19 - 25 yrs. How do you think they'd feel about being taught a valuable trade and getting paid 10k for the privilidge.

I'd say you're getting a fair deal.

It was 1976 when I started, so your not far behind me Rev. In 1980 I was working on some sites in Germany for the same company, it was really good money by then, but being young I spent most of it whilst out there. I do wish I could do it over ;)

10k a year and learning a trade as an apprentice is a very valuable thing. If you looked back on these comments in a few years time you will be agreeing with them. I'm working on site at the moment and although I'm not timed served I've been working with a sparks who is and I've learned a lot. It's a museum refit and I've really enjoyed what I've done so far. There is a plumber who is training a young lad and in a few years time will be earning some good money I'm sure.

The thing is I'm not learning, I know what I'm doing on the job, and half the time telling the other sparks in my team what to do, it's just very frustrating when I'm knocking my ******** out all day completing the jobs, whilst they stand there being the boy but getting paid ex amount ,

The thing is I'm not learning, I know what I'm doing on the job, and half the time telling the other sparks in my team what to do, it's just very frustrating when I'm knocking my ******** out all day completing the jobs, whilst they stand there being the boy but getting paid ex amount ,
really?

do you want to come teach me, cos Im still learning every week Im at work,

the day I stop learning will be the day I become very foolish.