Dimplex XLN need help please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lep

Reaction score
Hi I have looked round the forum and found the answer I was looking for but my problem still continues so here we go

I turned my upstairs storage heaters on, they all worked but my sons, so I looked on here and saw posts about the trip inside the heater so I tried that and bingo it worked, that is I pressed the button and it clicked. Anyway quite proud of myself I set the heater up and turned the main switch on and when I got up today it had heated up very slightly and tripped again :eek:

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Any help would be appreciated thanks

The thermal cut-out is protecting you from the danger of over heating.

The cause of this may be due to a faulty Thermostat in the heater which should prevent it getting to this situation, OR could be due to other external factors such as the heater vents being covered

Does the Input Thermostat "click" on and off when turned? If not it may well be stuck "On".

The heater vents arnt covered and I'm not sure about the thermostat clicking, I'm presuming I will have to wait till tonight so it can heat up again, it isn't clicking at the moment as very little heat is coming out. Is there anyway I could unstick it before they come on tonight to see if that works .Thanks for your quick reply

If the thermal overload trip has tripped again and there's "very little heat" then the overload trip is faulty.

If the main thermostat is stuck on, the usual sequence is after the first night the heater is VERY hot in the morning, and that will have tripped the overload trip at some point, so the next morning (i.e after the second night) the heater will be cool with just the left over heat from the day before.

So check it again and see if it does indeed click when you press it. If it's tripped without the heater getting VERY hot then it's faulty.

The heater vents arnt covered and I'm not sure about the thermostat clicking, I'm presuming I will have to wait till tonight so it can heat up again, it isn't clicking at the moment as very little heat is coming out. Is there anyway I could unstick it before they come on tonight to see if that works .Thanks for your quick reply
The only other way to speed up the testing process is to connect a temporary supply onto that heater so you don

Hi again and thanks for the replies Im nr Lincoln btw. I would prefer not to connect a tempory supply as I dont feel competent enought to do this, so will have to wait till tonight .

The heaters haven't been used for some months and are all working except this one. Last night I checked it and untripped it and it started warming up (never untripped it before) but this morning there was minimal heat coming out of it and I pressed the little white button inside and it clicked, so I presume it tripped in the night sometime. If the overload trip is faulty where would I get a new one and are they easy to fit, would it be worth taking one off a heater that works to see if it's the problem Thanks

also when I turn the input dial there is no connection but when it gets halfway round there is a click and the metal bit moves up and connects to a bit above Should this happen? Thanks

also when I turn the input dial there is no connection but when it gets halfway round there is a click and the metal bit moves up and connects to a bit above Should this happen? Thanks
Yes that's normal.

But with the heater only just like warm, it should really click at a very low setting.

Try the heater again tonight with the input control all the way up at maximum. It sounds to me like it's clicking off too soon when it's barely warm. If so it's the main thermostat that needs replacing.

I will try that thanks. I have had a look in one of my other heaters which is off and the metal bits are touching fron 1 to 9 on the input **** as I turn it On the broke one they were apart till 4 then closed together, I fiddled about an now there touching all the time I don't suppose you have a link to a shop where I could get the spares please as I don't know what parts I need Thank you

Hi it tripped again in the night it was quite hot in the middle but not so warm at the ends. I will buy a Thermostat & Cutout switch and see if that works Thankyou for your help

for info

i have the same issue with one at the mo

connected it to the mains reset cutout it was ok

worked ok for 2 nights then went again

need to order that part ProDave spotted

cheers for the spot