Termination of twin & earth cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepy

Reaction score
I am trying to find the definitive answer to how to correctly terminate twin and earth cable.

Should cables be doubled back before termination or left as a single strand?

When would you use one method and not the other?

Does the size of cable make a difference?

Does the number of conductors in the terminal make a difference?

Should cables ever be twisted together?

This may sound a stupid question but is ther an official standard or guidance available.

I have talked to a few people and so far had different answers

I prefer to keep My terminations single strand, no bending over.

Cable size makes little difference.

The more conductors in a termination, generally, the more difficult to clamp down securely.

Do not twist conductors together, they can give false readings.

AndyGuinness

Usually double over <6mm and do not when more than one conductor to terminate.

Most of the time i double back t&e depends what size cable! Either way is ok !

Here's my different answer,

if two or more conductors to be terminated then I never double over the ends.

Anything 4mm2 or bigger then I wouldnt bend over.

Normally 1mm, 1.5mm and 2.5mm2 if a single cable then yes i would bend over, unless its a carp or small sized connector in the accessory.

Doubling over is an old practise that should not be used any more. Modern accessories have no issue gripping small csa cables so no need for doubling over. Also makes it harder (if not impossible) to get extra cables in when required.

I tend to double over CPC if it is the only conductor in the terminal

If I think the T&E CSA is small in relation to the size of the terminal then I will double the ends over, for example connecting a single 1.0/ 1.5mm into the terminals of a consumer unit. I have never had any comebacks from doing this and believe it provides a better electrical connection.

Along with all the other comments..

just to clarify..

NEVER TWIST CONDUCTORS TOGETHER...

At some point in the future some poor sod has got to come back and inspect and test those cables..

and will want to easily split the joint open without loads of untwisting and breaking conductors off!

:(

Its not only that SL, if you twist conductors and terminate them into a tunnel, whats to say that the twisted cable wont work loose in time? You go to put your continuity tester on it, low reading, thinking that your circuit is fine when it actually isnt. If you terminate straight conductors, and test for a possible fault, you would find a continuity issue at that stage.

AndyGuinness

I was taught to always double over single core, solid drawn cables if there's only one in the termination & never ever twist them together. Stranded cables such as 6491x should be twisted but not with another cable. They should then be doubled over if only one cable is in the termination. However that was a while ago when accessories were well made. Now everything's cheap tat with so much metal trimmed off you haven't got room to double over.

Only one i would double is 1mm tw/e in switches but as i only use 1.5 would not do this anyway 1mm just doesn't seem meaty enough to get a grip in switches.