LED lights - advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Evening all.

I am in the process of carrying out 1st fix at a large domestic property.

LED lighting has been specified throughout by the architect. The lights specified are Collingwood enclosed LED down light fitting with driver which are approximately £60 each. Following discussions with the homeowner they are keen for me to find a cheaper alternative.

On other properties in the past I have installed 240V fire rated down light fittings which I get for approximately £8 each. I then use SMD 5 watt dimmable LED lamps which cost approximately £8 each. So the overall cost of the fitting is far less than the specified fittings.

The lamps I use have a life span of 50,000 hrs. The Collingwood units also have a life span of 50,000 hrs. Apart from the Collingwood units having a slightly better lumen output I cannot see much difference in the 2 units. As the Collingwood units are an enclosed fitting I assume that when the lamp goes it is a case of replacing the complete unit? Whereas the alternative unit only requires the lamp to be replaced?

Anyway I would appreciate your thoughts on this situation. What would you install? I am aware what has been specified however the homeowner is keen to cut back on the proposed cost of light fittings which I included within my tender.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

GS

Last edited by a moderator:
I always fit fire rated/insulation rated 230v down lights then put Kosnic 5watt led's.Customers are always happy.At the end of the day its what the customer wants that matters.

I use the led hut SMD and have done for about a year.... Not had no failures out of approx 2-300.....they do a 50watt equivalent ... Haggle and order a few at once which it sounds like you need and you will get them about

I use Kosnic 5w as often as i can, very close to 50w lamps mush better than aroura 4w. only had one fail out of about 100 which got swapped no questions asked by my local independant wholesalers. they charge

I use the led hut SMD and have done for about a year.... Not had no failures out of approx 2-300.....they do a 50watt equivalent ... Haggle and order a few at once which it sounds like you need and you will get them about

I don't like the idea of the all in one fitting for that reason, I'm sure the customer will go with your suggestion.....

Out of interest how much do you pay for yours and have you ever had the slightly dearer dimmable... Try dimming the non dimmable..... Same....!!! I told him and he reckons they must have been boxed wrong... I reckon they're the same and providing the dimmer is good thats all you need....

Hey guys have a look at these www.loxa.co.uk/low-energy-led-lighting-product-items.php?item=237

These are non-dimmable but they now do a 5W part no LX238 same physical size as a standard GU10 also 3 year warranty whereas many other only give a 2 year warranty

Where to get Led tube manufacturer and how to use them?

I want to put some outdoor led strip lights under a paper christmas tree and i just need to know how they work, help please?

how do they come as?

flexible led strip light

Last edited by a moderator:
Try led giant mate, started using them now , really good look better too... Bantered down to

Erm.......

Look to the forum sponsors..........a number of them do LED lamps.

I`ve used two of our sponsors so far, light rabbit and ledhut.

The ledhut lamps are being used in my largest client`s business premises, and own home ( and mine). No failures, good prices to forumites ( we get a discount), and impressed with build quality and customer service from them.

Its a bit daft if we get all these quality companies to sponsor us, and give members good deals, if they don`t at least LOOK at the options offered??????

I normally use the JCC led7. Pay about £35+ for the dimmable version. 10 yr warranty for domestic use. Push fit loop in and loop out connectors make them nice and easy to fit.

If any poster wishes to endorse any make of LED, please make sure it is from experience and not promoting a brand.

Our sponsors are the only suppliers who have been cleared to promote goods that they sell.

The previous post has been deleted by myself, it mentioned a supplier and as the post was written in a second language I have decided that it was spam.

Thanks to a forum member who used the report option and bringing this to the moderators attention.