Does anyone know anything about Microwave Ovens ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanny

Reaction score
My microwave recently packed in so i did a few tests and found the power diode to be at fault

my oven seems to have two....one from the capacitor to the chasis and the other across the terminals of the capacitor

i replaced the one to the chasis with one i bought from fleabay..im pretty sure it was the one across the terminals that was causing the problem so i removed it completely and now the microwave works fine

i was wondering if anyone knows the purpose of this diode as not all microwaves have one across the terminals of the capacitor

Thanks in advance :)

Yes!

I know summat about microwave ovens.

You put stuff in `em, turn em on, and they go "ding" when its ready.

I KNOW that isn`t what you wanted, but it`s all I`m prepared to say to someone who has effectively re-designed the mag. control circuit of a microwave.

Not all households have an earth rod; doesn`t mean none of `em NEED one, does it?

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is a general rule of thumb....

Manufactures are stingy cost cutting sods.....

And if something is NOT needed they don't normally go to the expense of fitting it in the first place...

If it is already fitted....

It most probably performs some important function! ;) :Salute

The shunt diode protects the transformer in the case of a faulty rectifier, it wont effect its function by removal, old and cheap models probably wont have them. If the rectifier goes O/C and produces AC instead of DC it can damage the transformer as the fuse may not blow, the shunt diode is there to go S/C and blow the fuse.