light switches upside down!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Spark

Reaction score
Hi guys,

as part of a job that I finished yesterday, I had to chase in switch drops etc as all were done in trunking by the previous owner who had a rewire done approx 10+ years ago. Switch drops were done in twin red so I the other week when i chased in I just marked the common at each accessory, so I thought simples enough to reconnect up right the first time once the plasterer had finished.

So I go back yesterday reconnect wire marked up common, the other one into L1, total of 6 points in total 3 bedrooms, hall, lounge and dining room.

Couldnt believe my luck
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
every switch was upside down!

I know you might say well just turn the switches the other way round, but I was a bit confused by this especially after double checking the conections, so then I got my tester on the terminals and hey presto they all switch to L2 in the normal on position!

Never seen this one before :C

I thought you were going to relay the customer complaint, whereby the landing light switch is "upside down" but the next day, it works the right way round, then next day it's upside down etc. :coat

So these are one way switches can't really see it matters whether the Live or switch switch live is at bottom or top just make sure switch is the right way round. Surely if you use twin brown you wouldn't bell it out.

Robin must be talking about 2W switches , most of which use L2 as the 1W connection but there are a few around that use L1 .

I always buzz out makes I'm not familiar with TBH .

Nah

lookk at back of switch....usually common at top and two sw wire trminals at bottom

sort of common

L1 L2

this was L2

common L1

if you see what I mean?............... :coat

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:09 ----------

well that didn't work as well as expected.....formatting has changed, so

......................common...............

...............L1.................L2

this was

....................L1...........

.........common............L2

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:11 ----------

right, that looks better.......just ignore the dots

You mean like i mentioned earlier, When its more than a one gang every other switch moulding on the back is mounted upside down ?
Not explaining myself very well here.....common terminal is adjacent to 1 switch terminal. other switch terminal is at other end of the module. Not just 'rotated' as 2 gang and 3 gang switches. Wish I'd tooken a photo now.

what I have started! sorry guys I think its me who has been upside down recently :( I feel a bit :Blushing

R2 D2 says eh
I think I was having a blonde moment (lack of sleep and other personal stuff going on at the moment), and cant believe that instead of either turning the switch upside down or moving the switch wire from L2 to L3, instead I swapped Common and L1. What a numpty!