VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU USE MAPP GAS!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aye - if you have a can of MAPP gas:

1. that has NOT been attached to a torch - i.e. "new" - return for a replacement

2. part used on a torch - light torch and burn off all gas. return empty cylinder for replacement.

3. part used not on a torch - attach to torch & burn off - then as above

KME - just did 2 of `em - thank you mate ;)

Worthington Cylinders is voluntarily recalling its MAP-Pro, Propylene and MAPP cylinders sold before January 15, 2012.
Issue

The cylinder may leak after a torch or other device is disconnected from the cylinder. If the leak is large enough or if the gas is permitted to accumulate in an enclosed area and there is a source of ignition, a fire could occur. There are no known incidents of fire or injury associated with this issue. Worthington is undertaking this voluntary recall out of an abundance of caution.

Q: Why is Worthington instituting a voluntary recall?

A: In December 2011, Worthington learned of a potential for a cylinder to leak when a torch is removed from it, if the tank still has gas in it. Despite the lack of any known incidents, Worthington decided to engage in a voluntary recall out of an abundance of caution.

Q: Which products are affected?

A: 14.1 oz MAP-Pro, 14.1 oz Propylene, and 16 oz MAPP gas cylinders. The cylinders are approximately 3" in diameter x 11" tall. The cylinders are painted yellow or black.

14.1 oz propane (blue) cylinders, 16 oz propane (green) cylinders, and 1.4 oz oxygen (red) cylinders are not affected.

Voluntary Product Recall of MAP-Pro, Propylene and MAPP Cylinders.

Worthington is voluntarily recalling its MAP-Pro, Propylene and MAPP cylinders due to a quality issue with the valve which is purchased from a vendor. There are no known incidents of fire or injury associated with this issue. New cylinders in customers inventory that have never had a torch attached will not leak due to this issue when stored, transported or moved. Worthington is undertaking this voluntary recall out of an abundance of caution.

New cylinders produced after January 12, 2012 will be marked with a black or white diamond on the top shoulder of the cylinder. The master carton is marked with date of manufacture. Cylinders produced after January 12, 2012 are not part of the recall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above are some extracts from Sidewinders Link. I understand some outlets such as screwfix have recall information at their counters.

I have made this sticky as I consider it will be of some importance for the near future.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Doc,

All,

You know where the SCOOB button is Canoe is a Beggar for Scoobs, just coz he wants more than me.

I'll take them if they are going and you feel them worth while! ;)

Yes I use MAPP, yes I have a can bought before that date. In fact it's been on my torch for over a year (don't use it much as lads are getting better at missing pipes ;) ) The problem is with cylinders leaking after removing from torch...... simple answer, leave it on torch till empty. That is what I will be doing as the receipt is long gone for getting a replacement. Thanks for the head up though.

Does not seem like you need the receipt for the exchange from the info I have seen, it is just a plain recall for exchange or refund, end of!

To change between gases mate - MAPP is ridiculously hot, so I`ll use basic propane for smaller pipes, but cold, outdoor or large diameter pipes (or large lumps of metal) need the hotter gas - so you just swap `em over - they`re supposedly self-sealing!!!!!