female cat spayed but still goes into heat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendy

Reaction score
in january 2010 i had my female cat spayed at a ospca spay and neuter clinic. About a year later she started exhibiting signs of going into heat, it has been getting progressivly worse each time she goes into heat and like probably 10 to 12 days between her heats. They have gotten this close together since about november of 2011, she also pees everywhere. Ive had her checked for urinary tract and had her treated for it, and i really need help. Ive also tried to give her a calming drug amiltriptaline and had feliway air plug ins and given her cat nip twice a week. Honestly i dont know what else to try, they would redo her spay for free but the vet i go to here says chances are they wont find the tiny bit left over from the spay. Please i need advice.

Oh dear. It sounds exactly like your cat has an ovarian remnant, a rare but possible problem after spaying. There are some blood tests that can be done to establish if there is an ovarian remnant.

The ONLY thing that will sort the cat is surgery to remove any remaining ovarian tissue. The best time to find it is when the cat is in season.

My understanding from our professional indemnity insurer is that this work is at the expense of the practice who did the initial spay, you paid for a cat to be spayed an that is what you are entitled to. If the initial practice are unable to sort the problem then they will have to send it somewhere that can.

I hope you get this cat sorted! Let me know what happens.

Oh dear. It sounds exactly like your cat has an ovarian remnant, a rare but possible problem after spaying. There are some blood tests that can be done to establish if there is an ovarian remnant. The ONLY thing that will sort the cat is surgery to remove any remaining ovarian tissue. The best time to find it is when the cat is in season.

My understanding from our professional indemnity insurer is that this work is at the expense of the practice who did the initial spay, you paid for a cat to be spayed an that is what you are entitled to. If the initial practice are unable to sort the problem then they will have to send it somewhere that can.

I hope you get this cat sorted! Let me know what happens.
I called our normal vet and he says " if they were that sloppy at first they probably wont find anything it could be as small as one or two cells and embed in the abdomen wall" he recommends birth control shots , progesterone. Ive taken the cat to have her shot, depro provera like they give to humans. the vet warned me about diabetis is possible in 5 years or so and about weight gain but as she was almost constantly in heat she hasnt been eating and is bone thin. So we will have to see how things go on. The alternative is 450.00 worth of tests for hormones and over 1500.00 worth of surgery at the guelph veterinary university which is a 4 hour trip away from where i live. And means a 3 to 4 hour surgery. so cross your fingers this works. please

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate saying this, but you need a talk to someone very senior in the practice that spayed the cat. They have not completed the job you requested of them. Although this has never happened to me if it did it would be at my expense that the problem was rectified.

If you get no joy speak to a lawyer.

Poor cat. It'll be interesting to hear how things go. Please keep us in touch :)

Well Asia the cat got the shot last friday , today is tuesday and she so far is so good. No heat anymore and she is allowed to sleep in my room again cause she has quit spraying on everything, so so far so good.

If it was my cat I'd still want it mended.

This strikes me as going to the garage with a slow puncture and the mechanic suggesting you keep filling it up with air, rather than removing the nail and cure the problem.

Now the cat needs treatment for the rest of its life. :(

i have a 7month old cat she has just been spayed a few months back, she generally lives inside apart from odd Saturday mornings. but just recently she has "mad half hours" where she just runs round and round in circles, and gets violent just with my wife, then 30 mins later shes fine. is this type of behavior associated with her going into heat or is it just with being inside bored?

Well the vet i use says the cost to have her checked by doing another operation is about 2000 dollars, and i would have to take her about 7 hours down the highway to the guelph university. Honestly i dont have the funds to do such a thing and i dont have a car either. I know the ospca wouldnt fund getting her redone by the university and its even almost 500 for the test to see if shes still produceing hormones. The way i see it is the shots shes getting have saved her life, as i couldnt handle the peeing anymore and i couldnt in all concience give her to a new home. the shot will cost me 46.00 every 6 months and thats alot of years to catch up to 2000 dollars and the vet also told me the chances of them finding it are slim. And she might be under for 4 hours which would be very hard on her also.

Bad news today after almost 2 weeks of her not making messes outside her litter box she peed on my bed. She has had very strong smelling urine she has her own litter box so i can tell. Now i dont know what is wrong she might have urinary tract infection or kidney failure as far as we can tell from the symptoms. I am at my wits end, i was so happy.

Sorry to hear that Wendy. Has she been back at the vet? Hope it's just an infection. They're such a worry. Keep us posted.