trying to justify buying an iPad

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
Does anybody have any experience of running Amtech Fastest Plus software on an iPad?....can it even be done?

I have been using Amtech for years [yes, I know, but it is nigh on impossible to migrate the database into any other cert. program], so i am sort of stuck with it.

Don't really want to keep carting the laptop around with me

Any comments, of a serious nature, are invited

Thanks.................... :coat

im also looking into it mainly for easy cert atm im print draft copies off filling them in on site and then using a cd i bought off ebay for

I've been thinking the same, I want to justify getting an iPad but not sure what applications will work best. Seen a few posts about Icertifi but not sure it's fully developed to carryout EICR yet.

OK, here goes.

I have an iPad2, in fact I use it all the time.

I use it for storing all my PDF manuals, going on the internet, emails, doing estimates etc.... Almost everything that I would have used a PC for.

From what I know the iPad version of easy cert is only data collection, when you get back to the "office" you have to ten transfer the data to your PC (and the easy cert software) to be able to print them out or Email them.

iCertifi has 3 cert types at the moment, Minor Works, domestic EIC's and PIR (pre amd 1), it does not allow you to store the cert, however you can come back to your last version of it. Apparently the dev is in a bit of a legal battle with the guys who did the code and this is delaying the EICR update. Once he gets this sorted (along with non domestic certs) it'll be well worth the money. If you are on facebook he does have a page that he updates.

im also looking into it mainly for easy cert atm im print draft copies off filling them in on site and then using a cd i bought off ebay for

No it doesn't yet I don't have PI insurance at the moment and haven't been asked to do one there are newer versions with it on though

I do same as sellers. Mine are ms excel which I open up a cert which is same earthing system tns, tncs or tt then most of fields on eic are same apart from schedule of test results which n/a can be copied and pasted for circuits. Cost =

Just my thoughts

Why would I want to buy a laptop, where they forgot to include the keyboard and the mouse?

There must be some uses for an ipad, but since my "computer" use revolves around typing documents, or creating drawings, I just can't see how you can do those functions easily with those input devices missing.

Sure you can use a touch screen keyboard, but that's half your screen gone then isn't it, and it's hardly very ergonomic.

If you must have a SMALL device, a netbook would seem to me a better way forward.

Just my thoughtsWhy would I want to buy a laptop, where they forgot to include the keyboard and the mouse?

There must be some uses for an ipad, but since my "computer" use revolves around typing documents, or creating drawings, I just can't see how you can do those functions easily with those input devices missing.

Sure you can use a touch screen keyboard, but that's half your screen gone then isn't it, and it's hardly very ergonomic.

If you must have a SMALL device, a netbook would seem to me a better way forward.
How is the commodore 64 Dave???? !!!!!

Dave, did you ever get me that spare spring I was after?

mine slowing down a bit and I think the tension may be gone,

although I have got it working again with a few rubber bands that I found at the back of the drawer.....

Latest posts