Speying a Lab

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally decided I don't have time to breed my 5 yr old choccy lab and the vet has suggested I spey her as there is some killer affliction that strikes lab *******? Can't remember the name but apparently it is a common womb infection that kills within hours of presenting symptoms. She is in the last week of her season now, how long should I leave it before the op?

Hi Cirrus

Not that I am the forum vet but I am sure our very own 'mad cow :)' will be along shortly to give proper advice. From what I can gather (as I am about to get my 3 year old WH Vizsla spayed) it should be approx 1/2 way between seasons, so you should be looking at getting her done in 10 to 14 weeks time.

Cheers Steve

I have a golden/yellow Labrador , she had pups when she was about 4, she's 7 now but about a year ago she really didn't look too good, whimpering , wasn't her usual self, and just poured out with blood from her (whistle) , was rushed to the vet and they had to do a emergency operation , forgot what the problem was called but apparently it's like a silent killer, hard to determine , worth getting her spayed asap, very stressful time

The illusive condition is a pyometra. Latin for puss in womb, very common in older unspayed bitches that have never had puppies, a Swedish (IIRC) survey found 1/3 entire female dogs go down with the condition. Having pups gives some protection but not 100%.

And yes half way between 2 seasons is the best time.

Well I finally had her speyed last Friday and just wanted to check a change in behaviour. She has nylon stitches in and is coping very well - apart from doing a silly 'dance' every now and then when I guess they pull or she is itching where they are healing. However, more importantly is the massive change in behaviour which concerns me. She is normally a very lively, boistrous dog who spends 99% of the day playing with our 6 month puppy. However, now she just lies on her bed looking all 'out of sorts'. It is very difficult to get her motivated. She is eating, drinking and going to the toilet and enjoys being walked but just seems a little out of character. For example, when I come downstairs in the morning she normally runs at mee, all excited with a toy in her mouth. Now I come down and she doesn't leave her bed or make any attempt to come and say hello - her tail doesn't even wag.

I appreciate this is major surgery for a dog and it takes time to recover from and the op was only 5 days ago but is this normal?

Have taken her to the vet and she has a temperature and mild infection although the wound is sound. An anti inflammatory injection and antibiotics and a lovely bill for

Sounded like a bit of infection, I've just had a mad day so not been on properly (ended up me getting a couple of stitches in my hand).

I won't tell you mow much I charge or you'd feel worse!

Hope she perks up soon

Latest posts