Hotpoint Aquarius 6Kg WMF540 - Water leaking (pouring out)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Well guys,

I have had nothing but trouble with my Hotpoint Aquarius WMF540. Purchased from Comet, I took out the extra warrenty. We were left without it over Christmas 2011 for 6 weeks. (spent a fortune in the laundrette).

Now, engineer came out and all that was wrong with it was a drum spring (also told me that he'd order a new door seal just in case - turned out he didn't need to fit that). The washing machine was chasing us around the kitchen, banging its brains out, then one night, one almighty bang - The drum had collapsed on it.

Now, being a silly billy that I am and completely forgetting each time I planned to do an internet search for the Spring, I thought, by the way the engineer described it to me, thought that the drum spring was the same as like a car, a coled spring over the leg / Shock absorber. what a numpty I was. It was a small thing that would have cost me about a tenner (

Last edited by a moderator:
Admin,

Can I suggest that you contact Hotpoint and take our their kitchen cover (insurance) it will cover ALL your Hotpoint or associated makes (creda, indesit I think). You then just pay your premium yearly or monthly and they come out at the drop of a hat fit the parts with out any further costs. Even I gave to say that it is one of the best insurances that I have ever invested in.

Just before Christams Comet were reporting some financial difficulties. They were sold for a nominal figure by their parent company. I think I heard on the radio that the service support function was also being sold off as it was not performing and the remaining comet shops would be concentrating back on the core retail business. I would avoid paying any more money for support from Comet and cut your losses Admin. Poor performance at Comet pushes Kesa into the red - Telegraph

Doc H.

Washing machines are the biggest gamble in the world in my opinion, they either last years and years or you have nothing but grief with them.... Don't entertain the ridiculous cost of insuring them, it's not worth the money... Buy one for 300 notes and if it lasts 3 years just replace it with the money you wouldve given them to insure it......As just proved once again by admin....

I never take the insurance out, it's clearly not worth the paper its written on.

Washing machines not that complicated a device - you're an electrician I'd have thought you could do most bits? I dismantled mine into many pieces to take the drum out and replace the bearings. Was a simple job and only cosy me about

i do a fair bit of appliance repair. mostly fairly basic stuff and easy to figure out the problem. failing that, just about every known fault with all appliances is on the net somewhere, along with a solution to the problem

Your failing to notice that if covers all appliances. Dishwasher fridge freezer tumble drier washing machine. Now at average call out being

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't normally take out extended warranty on anything. But I did on the Washing machine and Tumble Dryer, simply because they get a hammering with two adults and 5 young children.

With regards to the Comet issue, I am not going to say my reliable source, but, I was informed that Comet "OnCall" bought the Service contract from Hotpoint, Indesit etc. It is not doing well at all, and it has been sold to Domestic & General or Hotpoint themselves - I can't remember which.

Oh, I don't think that I'd take out extended warranty again?!

I think I will open a seperate bank account and save into as and when I can. That will only be for White goods though.