Looking for work as a casual domestic installer with a qualified electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrightSpark79

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am looking for casual work / weekend work as an electrical installer with an electrician who could use extra help.

I am qualified as a Part P domestic installer and have also 17th Edition BS 7671 as well as PAT testing C&G 2377.

I have done some installation work such as changing sockets, lighting, fuse boxes, cabling but now I am looking to gain more experience on a regular basis, if anyone needs any help im availble weekends, I have my own tools, car and even ECS/CSCS card, give me a reply back and we can talk further thank you

Regards

Asif

Hi EveryoneI am looking for casual work / weekend work as an electrical installer with an electrician who could use extra help.

I am qualified as a Part P domestic installer and have also 17th Edition BS 7671 as well as PAT testing C&G 2377.

I have done some installation work such as changing sockets, lighting, fuse boxes, cabling but now I am looking to gain more experience on a regular basis, if anyone needs any help im availble weekends, I have my own tools, car and even ECS/CSCS card, give me a reply back and we can talk further thank you

Regards

Asif
Let me guess....

Short course?

Promised there are loads of electrical vacancies??

I think you have been sold a Pup...

Sorry to say this but to someone who is electrically competent your post actual reads like......

I am qualified as a Part P domestic installer I have been conned into thinking "Part P" (a building regulation) is an electrical qualification.

PAT testing C&G 2377. I have also been conned into thinking PAT testing has any relevance to domestic electrical work.

PAT testing can be passed by an unskilled school leaver in 1 day!! IT IS NOT AN ELECTRICAL QUALIFICATION

I have negligible understanding of the underpinning physics and maths of electrical science needed to correctly design and plan my own work or fault find competently.

I have passed a few exams about regulations but would struggle to explain advantages/disadvantages/safety concerns about the different earthing types...

and I am not able to calculate if a CPC is big enough to carry a circuits prospective fault current before a protective device operates.

What proper electrical city and guilds qualifications have you got?

I can only wish you good luck cuz to be brutally honest I would not touch you with a barge pole.

:| :C

Did anyone see in the paper about the American lawyers taking actions cuz they have double the the number graduating in law degrees with no jobs to go to..

But the advertising promised loads of lucrative Lawyers jobs..

Sounds like the electrical training providers over here...

Promises promises...

but ****** all for people who have been taught inappropriate qualifications..

PAT testing ffs!!! headbang

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your complete negative attitude which I dont appreciate for your info I have been

working for a qualified sparky where I have been againing experience of designing circuits according to amp rating,ive Been involved in testing and inspection of work thats been carried out and yes I can calculate the size of cpc for prospective fault current, I only posted this ad to get further work but clearly havent impressed you, I may not have the C&G 2391 or others but I am trying and I am more able than you think mate

People like myself that did a formal apprenticeship over 4 to 5 years until I achieved the am2 and all the nvq's/ c&g you can shake a stick at, do feel pretty let down that anybody can claim to be a qualified electrician these days, but I understand that people have to start out and learn. it's going to be really hard for you to get work with out long term experience, able use of terminology( I hate it when people say pat testing lol ) and practical skills to boot.

any way on what special loco was saying .....

The anti short course vibe stretches out way past this forum and on to site, so if your getting called out here for lack of knowledge, no wonder newbs find it hard getting a job.

I feel the problem isn't the people on these courses it's the people that allow these courses to exist, it's totally devaluing our trade.

Unfortunately the truth hurts somtimes...

I notice you did not mention any other C&G's then?

I will just remind you.. Part P IS a building regulation ...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/AD_P_wm.pdf

Before 2005.... (when Part P building regulation was introduced..)

Electricians would talk of their "Electrical qualification".. NOT building regualtions..

You may as well quote

Part M qualified

or

Part L1 qualified

or anyone one of the other building regualtions...

Planning Portal - Approved Documents - Downloads

As a lot of them do have relevance to electrical work as well!!

And as electricians we have to have a working understanding of ALL of the building regulations applicable to our trade..

NOT just part P!

AND..

Why bother mentioned PAT testing..

some places will do this course in half a day.. others take a full day...

AND..

What relevance does it have on electrical installation work design or testing...

surely you can see it has no relevance here?

You may as well have said you got cycling profficiency..

cuz this is just a much use to designing electrical circuits...

Clearly your "qualifications" don't let you see these simple factual truths...

I do not dispute you are trying to look for work...

But any reasonably competent person will see straight though the type of information you are posting...

Its a bit like doing a job application and saying I am a rubbish time keeper..

GOLDEN RULE of looking for work...

Don't mention the negative things or advertise your week points..

It puts people off wanting to employ you are take you as a mate...

Try highlighting your electrical qulifications..

(or maybe thats a bit to bloomin obvious to suggest if you are looking for electrical work?)

As I said I would not touch you with a barge pole with a sales pitch like that..

You may well want us all to live in the land of make believe and not offer any real advice...

But normally that don't help anyone....

You just ignore me, my qualifications and years of experience mean jack all obvioiusly...

But I do think you will find that,

electricians and electrical company's will be looking for people with electrical qualifications not building regulations and 1 day PAT testing.

The simple fact is that the forum is littered with short course candidates who are struggling to get into real work.

:coat

Hi asif tell us where your from and where your willing to work

Just looked at your profile west London sorry I can't help u tried the Olympic site probably bit too late now

I feel the problem isn't the people on these courses it's the people that allow these courses to exist, it's totally devaluing our trade.
Indeed!

Its easy money to Sell training during a rescession..

Loads of gullible candidates willing to hand over dosh!!

Its a bit similar to the mortgage lenders when they had the big push on Endowment mortgages 10 or 15+ years back...

Interest rates were in double figures and they promised an investment to pay off your mortgage and give a lump sum..

"promises promises"

What they didn't say was... Its a gamble on the stock market and you may lose you money

and if interest rates drop.. you may not get enough to pay off you mortgage

Reality hits for thousands of people.. negative equity.. not enough money in the pot to pay off the mortgage..

BUT..

loads of sales advisor's got their commission and are like the cat with the cream.....

these electrical trainers are promising the earth because they get the sales and want to be the fat cat with the cream..

In return you get your equivalent of a negative equity qualification worth a minimal amount and a real struggle to recoup your investment..

Some endowments did workout but one hell of a lot nose dived...

:|

Some candidates on short courses manage to get on their feet..

But one hell of a lot nose dive with a big debt! :_|

To learn all that you need to know in 6months is impossible, and a total waste of money. I still see things on a regular basis that I haven't come across before.

We have been doing some pir's on some fairly big scales recently , and some of the basic major mistakes we come across make me think that as a trade in general our skills are plummeting due to these inept 6ww and foreign workers

I think we do need to improve roads into the industry though as its hard to gain an apprenticeship.

I think a mandatory approved body would be a good step forward, with different grades depending on technical knowledge and practical skills, alas it's not easy to put into practise though

How weird, I was talking about this exact subject yesterday with another electrician. I'm glad I did an apprenticeship, but sometimes think it would have been a lot quicker doing a 5WW course. I wish all electricians had a set of qualifications and on site assessments and AM2 tests that had to be obtained to become a electrician and it was governed by a single strict governing body. At least we could get rid of all the so called electricians undercutting us and doing bad workmanship as well. I could talk about this subject forever but it just winds me up so I'll stop.

cuz this is just a much use to designing electrical circuits...

I can only wish you good luck cuz to be brutally honest I would not touch you with a barge pole.

Did anyone see in the paper about the American lawyers taking actions cuz they have double the the number graduating in law degrees with no jobs to go to..

PAT testing ffs!!! headbang
FFS it's spelt "BECAUSE" headbang

FFS it's spelt "BECAUSE" headbang
:eek:

noooh :innocent

'cuz' is spelt 'C' 'U' 'Z'

and '

because' is spelt.. 'B' 'E' 'C' 'A' 'U' 'S' 'E'

'cuz' is definitely not spelt... 'B' 'E' 'C' 'A' 'U' 'S' 'E

and..

'FFS' is spelt 'F' 'F' 'S''

'ffs' not spelt.... 'B' 'E' 'C' 'A' 'U' 'S' 'E either!?

:slap

:Blushing

:coat

To learn all that you need to know in 6months is impossible, and a total waste of money. I still see things on a regular basis that I haven't come across before. We have been doing some pir's on some fairly big scales recently , and some of the basic major mistakes we come across make me think that as a trade in general our skills are plummeting due to these inept 6ww and foreign workersI think we do need to improve roads into the industry though as its hard to gain an apprenticeship.

I think a mandatory approved body would be a good step forward, with different grades depending on technical knowledge and practical skills, alas it's not easy to put into practise though
doesnt mean they did the work yr finding on your PIR'S

main cause i think is people working outside their comfort zone....... some people should stick to wiring a plug,,,,and some should stick to commercial but in these times its hard and people are taking work where they can find it

There are a few trusted,major electrically gifted guys on here who openly admit they would be in trouble doing a big domestic job......

How on earth could someone who is electrically competent struggle with a domestic of any kind ? I don't mean this as an insult in anyway, but domestic work is about as easy as it gets (barring the hard graft of chasing and routing).

For example, it would be much easier for a spark that does industrial and commercial to do domestic than vice versa.

For me if you are deemed electrically competent, you should be able to do jobs across the board safely, you should be able to read the regs and interpret them correctly and do any job well.

Not so sure thats true

I have often come across installs by Industrial Electricians in my 40 years in this game who have been blatently unaware of some basics.

i.e Distribution circuits with no Over current protection just an RCD used at the origin.

Garden sheds and Garages are a classic

Well I will say some commercial/industrial sparks probably don't come across TT systems had this a few years back on a farmhouse job. Sparks wiring boiler up got quite worried about the 7 ohm readings on TT system. I personally thought it was quite good.

Do you not think being an electrician should encompass all aspects of installation and maintenance, I'm not saying you should know everything but you should have to prove you can do at least the job to a good standard and not just the basic requirement. That's why I think a governing body would be a good idea, maybe with a minimum requirement of the AM2.

As for the domestic/commercial debate ,it's all about individuals. All sectors have rough arses

I think you just need to be competent in what you do. I mainly do domestic and a bit of commercial. But things like motors as I don't get much call for doing them I generally tell customer to get somebody else to look at them. I can test them and have even have connected a couple of star delta motors to supplied controllers in the past. I will put supplies in for machines but if they go wrong a competent person needs to sort them. You can cause more damage if you don't have the experience.

My thoughts are if you never attempt to work outside your comfort zone you will not develop yourself or your skills. As a qualified electrician you should have the underpinning knowledge and understanding of the requirements of the regulations to carry out a design and install in any of the fields, however it is here where a forum of this nature with a very knowledgable base of electricians becomes a valuable tool too enable you to seek the required understanding of the individual components that need to be connected to the install. As I don't believe that any electrician would have an immediate knowledge of every installable component that could be used within an installation.

It is down to the individual spark to know his/her own limitations of their abilities and to know when to ask for advice and when to give it.