7yr old Rottweiler with Hip Dysplasia

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinth

Reaction score
Hi

was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem my rottweiler had developed in the last week.

Basically my rottweiler Rocky who only just 7 yrs old started to show signs of hip dysplasia last week. He was off balance on the rear legs and general lazy went walking as if he was dragging his legs. He was in slight pain too when he tried to be all jumpy.

I had this confirmed at the local vet who did x rays but i was wondering if Apache can take a look at the xrays and let me know the severity of the hip dysplasia. Rocky is on meds atm from last week ( metacam) and i have put it him on a glucosamine chondroitin and fish oil supplements. Hes doing a lot better but the underlying issue is that his rear legs are still off balance which obviously wont get any better.

Pics as follows

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab165/Sinthuraj/2012-03-15131901.jpg

2012-03-15131846.jpg

Also managed to upload a video of him walking around the garden with my sis

Rottweiler hip dysplasia 2 - Rocky - YouTube

Any advice on this welcome as when the vet broke the news to me i was in tears. Too see him like this pains me as he is such a lively and active dog.

thanks in advance

Sinth

2012-03-15131901.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to add ive also bought him a back on track coat plus a bio magnetic collar to hopefully help him and im looking to reduce his weight a little more as he is 47kg atm.

Wow. I've never had a question posed before that included radiographs and a video of the dog moving! Full marks for effort!

Now to make this clear - I'm no expert with radiographs (the name of the picture, you can't look at an x-ray). They are not good! Basically the hip is a 'ball and socket' joint and the ball should lie entirely within the socket. In your case about 50% seems to be outside. I agree the dog has hip dysplasia.

This is a good example I shamelessly stole of the internet

2img1.JPG

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:17 ----------

Rocky is on meds atm from last week ( metacam) and i have put it him on a glucosamine chondroitin and fish oil supplements. Just wanted to add ive also bought him a back on track coat plus a bio magnetic collar to hopefully help him
There is very little evidence that any of these things will make a bit of difference. You are likely wasting your money. There was a large human study done a few years ago showing absolutely no benefit of these supplements!

and im looking to reduce his weight a little more as he is 47kg atm.
From the video it is clear the dog is carrying too much weight. Reducing that will help the dog. Getting 5kg off could make the world of difference. You should be able to feel ribs with gentle pressure but not see them. 'On the lean side' is the way to go.

To help you can give regular exercise and keep the dog lean. The painkillers are vital but as time goes on you should be able to reduce the dose.

Hope the dog feels better soon!

Wow. thanks ever so much for the detailed response.

Rocky is now on a diet but its just devastating to see him like this soo suddenly and it has definitely caught me offguard. can you recommend me some good dog.food which will aid his weight loss and nutritionally good? Something with good wholesome protein and high percentage of vegetables.

Looking at the video and radiographs can you judge the severity ?

Thank again in advance

Hi Sinth, it is amazing how dogs just become so much part of the family, and how we just want to try and get them back to full health.

Good luck and I hope it works out well.

Sorry I can't give any advice.

Hi roys

thanks for the kind words and it is amazing how animals feel like your children . To see a bright active individual change so suddenly is a huge shock and made me realise life is just unfair .

made aanother follow up appointment with the vet today, hopefully i don't break down in tears again

Looking at the video and radiographs can you judge the severity ?
I would say wait and see how things go. It's response to treatment that is important.

There are special 'prescription' dog foods from Hills and Iams that can help with weight loss and even claim to help with the arthritis.

Hills J/D claims to be 'clinically proven' and on their website they offer a

Both my rottie and st bernard suffered from hip dysplacia. I found a local hydrotherapy pool which helped no end. They both coped with the problem and had it from an early age.

Latest posts