motor blowing fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.cameron

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Customer called asking if i can help with a motor that keeps blowing its plug top 13A fuse on start up. I told them I'm not very familiar with motors and need some advice so here i am asking the experts.

single phase motor for dust extraction in a workshop where they sand down plastics. It has worked fine for 2-3yrs as is, but recently they have to replace the 13A fuse in plug top 3-4 times a week. Nothing else blows, MCB or RCD.

Would it be possible it just needs a good clean?

Cheers

Mike

:Salute

Put a clamp meter on it and see what current its actually using.
... And compare that with what the motor SHOULD be drawing (from it's rating plate). That will tell you if the motor is overloaded (or otherwise faulty)

Well im going with sidey on this one for correct answer as they had no idea about maintenance of filters wven though it says on it 'after 4 hours manually stop machine and shake filters' no one had read or followed this basic instruction even once the thing started to play up headbang

So called company who make it and set up a service schedule and showed the workshop manager how to bash the filters and empty its dust collection bin, which was almost full.

I would still put a clamp meter on it that way if it is the filters you can show them the difference with filters dirty and clean.

Even if the filters have now had a cleaning cycle, if they are over 2 years old they almost certainly will require changing to meet COSHH requirements.

When was their last full COSHH test by a truly competent person undertaken?

Never I suspect, if the filters were blocked.

That leaves them in breach of statute law, stuff the fuse blowing!

sounds a bit mickey mouse for the production industry. single phase portable extractors ive installed, where they move from machine to machine in small workshops, i normally put a starter with an overload obviously on the extractor somewhere and use a 16a plug and socket, bit more professional looking.

Riggy,

The COSHH "test" is a series of tests and inspections to ensure that the LEV system is performing sufficiently well to meet the statute law requirements of COSHH legislation.

It consists of several tests, so several pieces of equipment are required.

MM can obtain this equipment should you be interested.

As it happens I went for a multi-function instrument, though I have got several pitot static tubes.

You would also need to do some training though.

HSE recommend the P601 & P602 courses administered by BOHS, they are run by several training providers around the country.

I did both mine with Oxyl8 one in Edinburgh & one in Leicester.

I can recommend then as the tutor is very knowledgeable in the topic.

As far as the extract unit in the OP goes, I doubt it is actually fit for purpose to be honest.

If it is around 2 years old then they should have had a large documentation package with the unit giving the design data and the as installed test data for future comparisons.

I doubt they have this?

Again another breach of statute law by both the supplier and the user. (its at least 2 for the user COSHH & PUWER)

Sorry, I guess I need to point out when I'm being facetious!

I'm well aware of the tests you describe (10 years as Engineering Manager of Plasterboard Factory), I was trying (and apparently failing) to make the point that it irritates me when people use expressions such as "COSHH Test" just as it does when they use "Part P Test" or "17th Edition Tester"

The thing is Riggy if I had put down that the LEV required a "TExT", I doubt that anyone would have understood what I was on about.

Even HSE state that it requires a "Test", the second T.

As this is an electrical forum rather than one dedicated to LEV, using LEV centric terms would probably cause confusion.

So to the OP, to please Riggy, perhaps you need to advise your client then that they need a TExT undertaken on their LEV system.

That is a Thorough Examination & Test.

This is a requirement of the COSHH Legislation Regulation 9, and must be undertaken at least once in every period of 14 months for most circumstances, though for certain materials this is as frequent as monthly.

I will make my client aware of your concerns sidey, The chap im dealing with is new to the company and is trying to drag it into line with 21st HSE requirments. As said before i put him in touch with the manufacture of the Ext unit to set up an initial service and schedule a proper maintenance plan, so will wait and see if they make him change the filters.