Toolbox/bag poll

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been carrying my hand tools / testers in a CK technicians toolbag for the past few years. Have had the p taken a few times as its not very fashionable lol but I don't really care as I like keeping it shut when other sticky fingered trades are about if you get me :)

The. Bags just started to rip but the zips have done very well. It weighs a ton but has served its purpose well.

Looking to replace it probably with an open tote bag so will have to be extra vigilant to sticky fingers.

Just wondered what you guys used for general tools and reasons why if you dot mind :)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:04 ----------

The handbag was g u c c i :)

I was given a Draper handbag type bag and thought I'd give it a shot as I was getting fed up carrying my 20" tote bag crammed with tools into each and every job.

This small bag holds all my small hand tools and even my Fluke T120

My ck bags on its way out aswell. I also have a Stanley open tote but prefer the security of the toolbags for the fact they can be zipped up. I'm currently looking at the dewalt round top bag as it can be zipped and also has a lot more room which I need as my ck bag is full.

old pic

DSCF1568.jpg

the bag is now held together with duct tape and re-enforced with welding rod...

for some jobs, i sometimes throw a few tools into a bucket

I've posted this link before I think.

This is normally the first box off the van.

Buy Workshop Tool Chests and Cabinets HDPE trolley case w/latch,470x390x347mm GT Line TURTLE 350 PEL online from RS for next day delivery.

I have a 3 draw snap on box on the van and a CK open tote for the plumbing tools.

I have a similar wheeled box full of test meters, and the drill bits, screwdriver bits etc have their own steel case on the shelf.

Everything else is not really hand tools.

The power tools are in their own boxes.

Perhaps I'll have to post a pic of the new van set up.

I'll try to make time over Easter as I am having 4 days off, breakdown dependent!

I have tried almost every bag/box/case/bucket/bin-liner on the fricking market. Started with the old fashioned barn door box, then cantilever, then made a few etc etc etc. have tried open totes [sides cave in and pockets are too small] open to sticky fingers. Tried zip bags...can't shut them and the zips fail. Tried CK technicians bag [got 2 as on F cheap offer at CPC]...now relegated to some of my insulated tools. Tried Ketter boxes [handle fell off]...now demoted to more insulated tools. Tried Antler cases...now demoted to more insulated tools [yes, I know that I have an obscene amount of insulated tools].

Tried the wheeled stacking 3 box Stanley type setup when I used to be mainly working on just 2 sites..ok on flat floors but got moody acoss the car park.

Everything gets chucked in a couple of Stanley lookee likee wheeled site chests when on shop refits.

Tried pouches on a belt...couldn't fit through trapdoor on tower scaffold.

Got a CK type backpack for when it is a route march from car park to site

My current choice is the box that one of my now knackered Flukes came in, seems to be the best so far [35+ years testing out the others]. Cannot afford a wheeled case yet, but I will! Oh yes. :Salute

The day after I retire I will find the 'dogs back wheels of setups'............ :coat

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got 2 'normal' boxes, a wheelie one, and a chest,

everything is still a mess,

keep intending to get another tote bag for general everyday hand tools, never seem to get round to it.

The new magma ck technicians bag looks a bit more of a fashion accessory , it's like the ***** of toolbags with the high price tag , lol, must admit they are great quality , get what you pay for I suppose

I'm currently using the DeWalt Toolbag that came free with my safety boots last year. It's full of crap and can never find anything, before that I had a Stanley fat max open tote which was good until the handle fell off !

I have

Ck magma technicians bag (the larger bag with plastic base) for my Sunday best

CK Magma small tote for my 2nd grade hand tools

CK blue small tote for bash and crash stuff (Lifting boards etc)

CK rucksack for long distance walking or rooftop ladder access

Shelf in the van racking for the hand tools i dont love

Power tools in large Makita bags with wheels X3, i got sick of hundreds of plastic boxes, so i now have 3 big bags that are getting too heavy and all have broken wheels

I have 2 of them makita bags like u pewter with the wheels where I kept my power tools but kept finding the jigsaw blades angle grinder blades kept snapping I now keep them in a Stanley fat max 30 gallon tool box I use a dewalt tool bag for my main hand tools but is a royal pain to find things I also have a smaller Stanley toolbox for tools that are rarely used

I'm too short to be able to carry a tool bag - I need to stand on my tool box to reach most consumer units (and the occational fan isolator) :|

CK technicians bag for general tools

Fatmax open tote for bigger stuff

Stanley roller box for shoving everything in if i have to walk any distance.

A cheap run of the mill tool belt for basic hand tools. Hang my impact gun off the belt. My Bosch 10.8v drill/ driver goes in drill pouch on belt. The opposite side of belt is my clamp/multi test pouch. In the van I have an open tote bag with various other hand tools/accessories. I find this way I can quickly change the contents of the belt to suit the job that I'm doing. Oh also have another cheap B&Q belt hangs on rear of van used soley for first fixing.

This way I can carry my fixings tray and other drills if required.