Diplomat oven tripping out

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny81bby

Reaction score
Hi I have a problem with my oven. For the last few weeks it has been playing up. I can be using the grill and it will trip my whole house out. I turn all controls off and reset the breaker but when I go to select what operation I want on the cooker it immediately trips out again. It will do this every time for a few days but then work ok for a bit. Could it be the i have noticed that the fans start up when you move the selector switch so I have disconnected these to eliminate them and the problem is still there. Any help please?

Danny

Have u a rcd on your fuse board is it tripping the mcb or the main rcd ?

From your description, is sounds like there is a single RCD on the board, which is being tripped by the oven, whenever you select any operation.

Disconnecting the fan is not generally a good idea - many of these ovens are fitted with an element around the fan; which can overheat and cause damage. The fan is designed to run, and provide airflow around this element. It can happen that the fan develops a fault; but it is far more common to have failure of one of the elements. Without access to the test equipment necessary for determining insulation breakdown, you may have difficulty finding out which element has failed.

I`d recommend getting someone to look at this for you, to be honest.

KME

99% sure from your description it is the element that is faulty

Two ways of fixing this

1) call an appliance engineer who will diagnose and repair but at a cost depending where you live anything between

Can you narrow it down to if one function alone makes it trip? Say the grill, one of the rings, the oven itself etc. If these are all off and its the (rotary?) function selector that makes it trip then maybe best for an engineer to take a look IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

our old Indesit fan oven worked perfectly except for when it had just been cleaned, then it would trip the RCD, turned out to be a hairline crack in the circular element that wraps around the fan as kme described.

The element was housed behind a cover plate at the back of the oven so none of the cleaning products ever actually came into contact with it,but it must have been absorbing some of the moisture present during cleaning and thus causing enough leakage to cause the RCD to activate.

Regards.

Latest posts