Itchy dog

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patch,

Our dog has been scratching quite a lot recently, he doesn't have any fleas (treated him anyway) and his skin looks slightly pinker than normal.

We thought that his bedding had been washed with detergent last time so we washed it again without and also gave him a bath (Saturday).

I've an idea that he's not quite as bad today as he has been, but I cannot be 100% sure

Sorry for delay!

What sort of dog is it?

How old?

Anything like this before?

Specifically what did you use to treat for fleas?

Mine in red

Sorry for delay!What sort of dog is it?

cross breed pembrokshire welsh corgi/spaniel

How old?

10ish, he's a rescue so we're not 100%

Anything like this before?

no, except for fleas which were treated sucessfully

Specifically what did you use to treat for fleas?

I think that the wife bought some "Bob Martins" stuff, I think the shampoo was also anti flea
Hope that's enough mate, if not let me know.

Nick

The flea stuff is no good. All it does is irritate them a little but they can still bite and cause irritation. Get yourself some Frontline or similar.

It is the time of the year where plants and pollens start increasing and that can cause irritation. Flea allergy or irritation is still the most common cause and the best thing to do about it is to use an effective product regularly.

If you think it is improving then giving things a little more time not a bad plan. If it is getting worse a trip to the vet is in order.

I figured you'd say that it's no good, I wouldn't have let the wife buy it but she'd beaten me to it:(

Like I say he's had fleas before and it looks nothing like that,, the pinkyness is not localised at all, no blotches or red patches, can fleas show like that?

If the dog was allergic then 1 bite is enough to set it off.

So yes!

The simple fact is fleas are very common. Skin problems related to fleas a very common. It's not worth spending money looking for other causes without eliminating the most common first. How do we do that - by using an effective flea treatment.

Frontline (and I use it as an example) for a full month kills fleas as they move through the hair before they even bite. The older insecticides (such as are available on the shelf in Supermarkets and pet shops) mainly repel fleas and the fleas can be driven off your pet, into the environment. They make the pet a hostile place, but they can still hop aboard and feed.

Just trust me on this ;)