HotPoint Fridge Freezer FRA52 Not cooling/Freezing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gowda

Reaction score
I have a Hotpoint FRA52 Fridge Freezer.

The power is going in to the fridge/freezer, the interior fridge light also is working, but the fridge is no longer cool and the freezer has defrosted.

I have only had this 18-20 months (I think it only had warranty for 1 year).

I would be most grateful if any of you could give me an idea as to what the problem could be?

Also, whether or not you think it would be worth calling someone in to repair it? Or do you think it may be more realistic to spend the money on a new one?

I've never really had this problem before with F/F. Usually they have worked for years and then I replaced them when they were old/ or I needed bigger storage space.

I would be grateful for any ideas or advice.

From what I can tell it's a Frost free fridge freezer?

There are many reasons why they may stop cooling/freezing

Over filled,

Damaged door seal

Excess ice build up

Being used in very cold conditions

Faulty frost free timer

Loss of refigerant pressure

Failure of compressor motor

I can also see from looking at the instruction booklet that your fridge/freezer will have an additional 5 year parts warranty (not labour) if you registered it with Hotpoint

From what I can tell it's a Frost free fridge freezer?There are many reasons why they may stop cooling/freezing

Over filled,

Damaged door seal

Excess ice build up

Being used in very cold conditions

Faulty frost free timer

Loss of refigerant pressure

Failure of compressor motor

I can also see from looking at the instruction booklet that your fridge/freezer will have an additional 5 year parts warranty (not labour) if you registered it with Hotpoint
Thanks for coming back to me NozSpark, it is very much appreciated! :)

The freezer was fairly full when it started to lose coolness, but I have known it to have been packed more in the past.

I have emptied and cleaned out the fridge/freezer and at that time I cleaned and checked the door seals and they seemed to be ok.

There wasn't excessive ice build up, nor was it very cold either, it was just kind of normal temperature in the room we have it in.

One thing I have noticed is that after I defrosted it I turned it on again. Certain search engine questions say listen for a beep (which I didn't hear) as that indicates a particular problem.

Another answer on a search engine answered question was - that did it heat up on the metal bits at the back of the fridge freezer. In my case, it starts to heat up the metal, it gets warm then looses heat again and goes cold in the metal coils at the back. I don't know whether that will mean anything to anyone?

Thank you for pointing out the Hotpoint parts warranty, I will look in to that and see if I am covered for that.

Thanks again for coming back to me NozSpark, I really appreciate it. I know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing, so I am greatful for any guidance.

I've bought a compact fridge not too long ago, the spt energy star 3.2 cu. This site was very helpful with making a choice:

Hope someone else will find it useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Doc.

Gowda - this sounds like a loss of refrigerant pressure - you will probably need a refrigeration engineer, as most electricians won`t get involved with this type of problem.

Hope that helps

KME

He's not been on the forum since April.

Chances are he's either mended it, replaced it or got used to life with tinned peas and warm milk.

Last edited by a moderator: