dogs on a lead on a public path

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a non pet owner living in a small close I overheard the 50 yr old retired ex-policeman at the end of the close informing my 70 yr old female neighbour that he is entitled to have his two dogs ( labs I think) run free when walking them and he knows the law being an ex copper and if she reports him she'l wish she hadn't!:mad:

Apparently on unloading her car of shopping the dogs surrounded her and she stumbled into the hedge

Last week they ran upto her barking (and generally being boisterous I think) while she was weeding her front garden

Spoke to her last night and she said she's scared of dogs and now she's scared of him

So my question is

What is the legal requirement for walking dogs on public highways?

Cheers lads

I don't know for certain, but I think that he's more than likely correct.

I think that the law says that dogs must have an ID tag and must be under the control of the owner (dangerous dogs excluded)

We do the same with our dog, but he is absolutley under our control.

I know nothing about the law I'm afraid, but I do know that "under control" is very open to interpretation. My daughter isn't keen on dogs and often if we are out and about a dog will run up to her to try and play. Her reaction is to squeal and flap so the dog thinks it's a game and barks and crowds her. A lot of the time, the owners response to this is to say (often from several feet away) "don't worry, he won't hurt you". As far as my daughter is concerned, the dog is out of control. As far as the dog owner is concerned, my daughter is being silly and over reacting.

I suspect it's the same with the ex-copper and the little old lady. Hard to know what can be done about it though.

I think... though may be wrong....

that whilst there is no blanket law, local councils do have some authority to enforce dogs on a leash but only in places where appropriate signage is in place...

e.g. near certain major roads etc.. 'Dogs must be kept on lead' signs are stuck on lampposts, due to the increased danger of stray dogs and traffic accident.

Isn't it within the same sort of remit and control as the dog fouling regualtions...

namely it is local council bylaws and the land has to be designated as a 'dog poo free area' (paraphrase)

So dog poo and dogs on a lead can be imposed in certain locations deemed by your local council.

Other than that..

its a free for all !!

:coffee

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:59 ----------

KME'S off doing his pushy shovey again!!!

:_|

Spoke to my local police station and was requested to email them my question?!?

So I did and this was the reply less than 1 hour later

'The Road Traffic Act 1988 states that a dog must be on a lead near a road /

public highway The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 states that it is an offence for

a dog to be out of control in a public place and cause harm to a person.

Finally the Animals Act of 1971 places a civil liability on the dog owner

for damage done by dogs e.g ruining someone's front garden.'

thanks for everybody's input

I would gladly come up and sort him out not a problem
I have to agree Gav, 50 year old man threatening 70 year old lady and frightening the life out of the old girl... There must be more of a law against that than a thick dog off a lead!!!

I've owned dogs over the years and in my opinion ALL dogs should be on a lead in a public place. No one can 100% say that there dog is under control if not on one.

A few years ago my Alsatian escaped from my back yard by chewing through the bottom of the gate. I was told by the police that she should have been chained in the garden to be classed as under control.