Lifting chipboard floor.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg1979

Reaction score
Got a job on tomorrow which involves lifting quite a bit of chipboard floor.

I've had to lift them before but only small hatches whereas tomorrow I'd prefer to lift whole sheets.

Done a bit of research and don't like the sounds of cutting within the joists and bridging. Using a nail punch sounds a viable option as does a small home saw (less the arbour) and cutting round the nails.

Just wondered what techniques peeps have found work best for them, or any that I've not covered?

I find a nail puller works really well, remove all nails, cut 1 tongue off down long and short side and lift up.

The nail puller I have was about

Last edited by a moderator:
I`ve never had much luck pulling the nails - the board generally gives way first.

If they`re screwed down, and you can get to the last (first) board you`re ok.

If they`re nailed, I tend to take a couple of boards with me, and destructively remove the boards first as last - saves time, IMO (and I`ll screw `em back down, in case I need to get under them again.

KME

Horrible to lift mate, always has been. I personally use a skilsaw for the Tongue and groove and battern the joists if necessary before re-laying Worst sort is where the floor was put down before the walls went up.

I`ve never had much luck pulling the nails - the board generally gives way first.If they`re screwed down, and you can get to the last (first) board you`re ok.

If they`re nailed, I tend to take a couple of boards with me, and destructively remove the boards first as last - saves time, IMO (and I`ll screw `em back down, in case I need to get under them again.

KME
KME - That one in the pic does the job a treat, providing you ram the jaws below the head it never fails, I have seen others that are not as good though.

I lifted that stuff once and that was enough TBH.

I tried cutting a trap by setting the circular saw but still nicked the top of a heating pipe on another job.

Now I say get a chippie in to lift the sheets , I found they didn't want to pay for the extra time involved .

And I'm afraid, the less time I spend on my knees the better thses days. :(

Steve, who's the manufacturer of your nail puller please?
Priory Nail puller (I got mine from ITS)

Quality all steel construction nail puller with heat treated alloy steel jaws, which incorporates a full box joint.

Overall length 19in, (480mm).

This Nail Puller incorporates an integral rammer and is suitable for removing almost every type of nail.

I have used a hole saw around those difficult/impossible screws to get out, then set fire to the boards and wait for the smoke to settle before removing the charred carbon remains.

This material should never have been allowed to be used.

I chuffing well detest chipboard, but do the same as the others use a nail puller & when I get a non mover or a screw thats been butchered, I do the same as Manator & use a small 16mm hole saw & cut round the stubbon tinkers.

Cheers for the replies peeps.

Managed to get 2 full sheets up without too many problems. As it happened I had a priory nail puller kicking around, tried it a while ago and thought it wasn't much kop but was invaluble today, got about 75% of the nails out with no probs! The rest the heads snapped off the nails while pulling so a nail punch knocked them thru! Quick whizz around the edge with circular saw and job was a good un!

One thing tho, my hand is massively bruised from whacking the slide hammer part of the nail puller :Blushing

So thanks for the tips again, I know what way I'll be lifting chipboard floors in future! Guinness

Nice one mate and a good post for others to read about lifting chipboard flooring. What was you doing round there and was the poxy junction box where you thought it was lol

Ha ha, no not looking for a poxy jb on this occasion, was fitting some LED spotlights in a kitchen. Fitting from below wasn't an option so horrible floor up wad only way to go.

Looked good in the end though, and customer was really pleased that the floor was in such a good state when it was finished!

Cheers for the replies peeps.Managed to get 2 full sheets up without too many problems. As it happened I had a priory nail puller kicking around, tried it a while ago and thought it wasn't much kop but was invaluble today, got about 75% of the nails out with no probs! The rest the heads snapped off the nails while pulling so a nail punch knocked them thru! Quick whizz around the edge with circular saw and job was a good un!

One thing tho, my hand is massively bruised from whacking the slide hammer part of the nail puller :Blushing

So thanks for the tips again, I know what way I'll be lifting chipboard floors in future! Guinness
Like all things there is a knack to everything, when I first started using mine I too did not have much faith in it, but after a bit of trial and error I started to find it a great asset.

One tip, try letting the slide hammer do the work by holding it lightly, I found holding it tight and ramming it down did indeed make the hand sore, I also found making sure you lined the jaws up away from the head was vital, so that the jaws got well under the head before trying to lift.

Well done though 75%, next time 100% :Salute

I have a setting/application on my laptop called Google, if I type the word 'nail puller' and press enter a magical genie comes up with a list.

I hope this gobbitt of information assists you in your quest and I wish you good health...................yes, I have had a fricking carp day of the first water

or try hultafors or faithfull tools...faithfull one is better IMHO.......... :coat

I understand the irony, but ive seen a lot of these that are obviously poor copies that just dont do what they are mean to do,

that was why I asked for a link of the real deal one. :)