Dog fit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manator

©Honorary Essex Boy™
Reaction score
Hello Apache, I am going to call the vet in the morning but for chance that you are on line I thought I would ask anyway.

My eldest dog now 13 who is a Saluki Greyhound 50/50 cross has just had a fit, foaming at the mouth, and bowel release(urine), one of the most distressing things I have witnessed, and reduced the wife to tears.

I am hoping that there is some medication we can get to prevent this from occurring in the future. After the attack he appears to be very lively though panting heavily, and has taken a drink of water.

Just wondered if you have any advise for us that would make him more comfortable, and what can be done about the fits.

I presume the heat has a major part to play given his age.

Hello there. They are awful things to witness.

As a general rule with fits, in younger dogs the main cause is epilepsy. That can be controlled well by medication. In older dogs other (more nasty) things make their way up the list. It's rarely a good thing an older dog having its first fit. Things like tumours, liver and kidney problems can cause it. Equally certain conditions can lead to raised blood calcium and that can cause this.

A febrile convulsion is possible (due to the heat) but they are quite rare and usually affect young animals.

A fit is a massive amount of exercise in a short space of time. It is common afterwards for the dog to be disorientated and hungry and thirsty. Let them eat and drink in moderation.

A trip to the vets is in order and they will likely want to take some blood to rule in/out some of the causes I mentioned.

There is little you can do. Keeping the dog cool and quiet will help. If he has another note the time, they can appear to go on longer than you think. If the fitting continues for 10 minutes or more ring the vet whatever time.

Best of luck and let me know how you get on.

Cheers mate, I really do owe you one after this advise.

It is a horrible thing to witness, but I do not want to have him put down for put downs sake, whatever it cost to prolong a comfortable life I will pay.

He is now fully recovered and following a ***** we own who is on heat, so the randy little sod is still thinking of that at least. The fit lasted no longer than 2 minutes, but appeared longer, I just got down with him and tried to give him some comfort and reassurance.

I will call the vet in the morning and request some blood test to be taken, my local vets are very good actually and we have a local medical animal hospital open 24hrs in emergency.

Thanks again Apache.

No bother!

Maybe a combination of age/heat * ***** in season. Is he eating ok (dogs often don't eat well when other things on their mind)? If not and his blood sugar low combining that with the heat could be the cause?

He has become very fussy with food, we normally buy breeder packs/sacks of high protein foods, we have a total of 5 dogs. All lurchers with the exception of the terrier.

I am sat here watching him now and he appears to be fully relaxed and is at ease.

I will call the vets in the morning, I know this is always your main advise but what you do offer is some peace of mind almost 24/7 and I have yet to find another who could take your place at a time of need.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 01:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:36 ----------

He has just had another fit, it never lasted as long as the last one but his recovery time has increased.

I will stay up with him tonight and keep you informed, the prognosis does not look good given his age.

He had another fit around 4 am, and appears to be OK just now Matty.

I am calling the Vet and trying to get him into the surgery near us, but not looking forward to the drive over its about 20 minutes away and I do not want to stress him too much.

Sad news I am afraid, I had my best pal put to sleep at 11.00hrs this morning. The Vet tried him on diazipan to keep him calm but after a total of 5 fits since last night I thought it was best to have him put to rest.

sorry to hear that Manator, sometimes we have to be strong in order to do the right thing,

selflessness is a good trait to have in times like that.

Had to have my dog put to sleep.... Heartbreaking... Sorry to hear this terrible news.

Very sorry to here that Manator but as I have said in the past a responsible owner will do the right thing and not let any pet suffer. Very sad times but at least you have your other dogs to help a little. My thoughts are with you and your family.

A big thank you to all, I have two of his pups one male and one ***** so he does indeed carry on with us, he was a gentleman of a dog and typical of the breed. Without any formal training was very obedient and always did everything on first command. I think the only time I have raised my voice to him was to tell him to stop being alpha male!

We are having his ashes put into a cask for safekeeping so he will always be with us.

IMG00001-20100501-1328.jpg

IMG00035-20120328-1721.jpg

I can only echo the above, Manator. I'm sorry to hear that, but despite being a difficult decision, you have done the right and kindest thing.

:x

Thanks again, I know I did the right thing, I remember when KME had his beloved mate put to sleep, they do become family members and I do have many happy memories of my time with him over the last 13 years.

If he had 1 or two fits and treatment was possible then I would have tried the treatment, but unfortunately he had 5 fits in less than 12 hours.

I was not prepared to allow him to go through that again, he passed away very comfortable and with the dignity he deserved, I have found it very hard to put my clothes into the washing because his smell is all over them, even if it is urine.

Strange but true. I will miss him but I know I did the right thing, I love animals and they always give unconditional love.

I am lucky in that I have other dogs, two of whom are his pups.

Thank you to all for your kind words I am very upset, but I know the only thing you can do in circumstances like this is to prove your love and admiration for your pet by reducing their suffering and letting the vet do what they can.

Note to Apache, the young vet was almost as upset as I was, I told you I had a very good local vet, and cheers mate for your help.

I bet you still get upset when you have to put a dear one to sleep, especially if you have treated them from birth.

I tip my cap to you and your's and suggest you push the good times to the top of your memories list( I hope that makes sense)

I had to make that same shout last year, with me dog of 16 years, broke me heart, pal.

If I knew ya local boozer I'd buy ya a pint.

Manator,

I am sorry to hear of your loss, pets are such a blessing, they don't argue or answer back but just give you unconditional devotion.

To loose one is a terrible blow.

Manator,

My thoughts and my respect. A tough time indeed.

Thank you to all, and especially Apache I have closed the thread has it is still too distressing to talk about.

Your kind words and thoughts have been gratefully acknowledged and I do hope no member has to suffer the ordeal of your lifelong buddy having a fit.

He is at rest now, and life goes on, my main aim now is to love those who I have left.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, and I know you all mean them from the heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.