Ways to make my room cooler?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemshkoj

Reaction score
I don't have air conditioning.

I have two open windows, one of which has a two-speed window fan which is turned on (to 2, of course).

The door is open, and the ceiling fan is on high.

Yet I'm still sweating like a pig.

Are there any tricks to cooling down my room? I can cool myself off just fine (cold shower, etc.) - it's my room I'm trying to cool.

www.getridofbedbugsathome.com/how-to-check-for-bed-bugs

Last edited by a moderator:
Invest in air con

Noticed your in us surely it would be worth it as your weather is hotter than over here

fans do not cool. Fans move air. The feeling of 'cooling' is due to evaporation of moisture from the skin. If you want to prove it try drying wet hands under a warm air hand dryer. At first your hands are cold then get F hot as the water evaporates. So, to cool you...thow a bucket of water over yourself and stand in front of the fan. If you want to cool the room try air con OR soak every surface of the room with water and switch the fan on. This method is not advised........... :coat

....and due to the litigous nature of our friends across the pond this information is worth exactly what you have paid for it................. :run

Fill a large container with ice & sit it in front of the fan by the window, fan will drag air in from outside & push it across the top of the ice cooling the room as it goes.

Are you 1) Female and 2) Attractive? TBH, the older I get then the less 2) seems to matter. Not that I've EVER typed "chubby mature" in the search bar! So if the answer is "Yes" to 1) and even "remotely" for 2) then wear less which will aid your cooling issues and don't forget to post pictures! ;)

On a serious note there are LOADS of home made a/c projects on the web - here's one of my favourites.....

Geoff

I notice the chap lives near you, maybe you know him?

Are you 1) Female and 2) Attractive? TBH, the older I get then the less 2) seems to matter. Not that I've EVER typed "chubby mature" in the search bar! So if the answer is "Yes" to 1) and even "remotely" for 2) then wear less which will aid your cooling issues and don't forget to post pictures! ;) On a serious note there are LOADS of home made a/c projects on the web - here's one of my favourites.....

Geoff

I notice the chap lives near you, maybe you know him?
:slap

brilliant

WTF did you search for to find that though?! :eek:

:slap brilliant

WTF did you search for to find that though?! :eek:
A couple of years ago when it was real hot and toying with a home made a/c project I found it on MAKE: technology on your time - full of mad ideas like this. The Yanks seem to do it so much better than us IMO. One idea I've seen that's a variation is to SINK a 50 gallon drum into the ground. Acts as a cooled water store and the condensate runs back into it via a tube.

But, on there, my all time favourite is THIS:

MAKE | Adriondack chair electric vehicle

p.s. His name's Jeff too!

I could give you my ex mother in laws number and you could employ her to sit in the corner of the room, I always found her to be a naturally cold woman who would guarantee a frosty reception

Unfortunately she didn't exactly run silently but she was good with the kids and only smelt of wee on a Friday for some reason

The mistake most people make on a HOT day when they want to cool a room down is to OPEN the window, and let all the hot air IN.

It's all about management.

Open the window wide at night when it's cool to let the heat out and the cool air in.

As the day warms up, as soon as the outside air temperature exceeds the inside temperature, close the window, and close the curtains to reduce solar gain.

Open the window again in the evening when it cools down.

It can also help to open windows on the cooler north side of the house, and keep windows and curtains on the hotter south side firmly closed in the middle of the day.

If you need moving air to cool you down, achieve that with a fan while the window is shut. don't oen the window to get a breeze, as it will be a hot breeze.

Or go and buy an air conditioner.

With the windows open hang sack wet sack cloth over them, also have the bottom of the sack cloth sitting in a small bath of water so that it wicks up and stays wet. As the flow of air flows through the cloth it will chill due to the latent heat of evaporation and so keep the room cool. Absolutely no idea if it will work, but sounded good to me in my own little miind. :)

Latest posts