Re-using TalkTalk Router

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening, any clever computer types here? A mate of mine has given me his old TalkTalk router, a D-Link DSL-2640R. Figured I'd have a go at putting new firmware on it and using it to replace my old "no-name" wireless router.

I put in the router's IP address in the search bar and got as far as the logon screen. Every search I've done suggests "admin" as the username and password but this doesn't work. I've read suggestions that TalkTalk do something to the routers they give out.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

there is a little button on the rear of the router to reset it to factory standard,

Im using this exact router, I can hopefully help you on this one. :D

There is a reset button on the back of the unitPress and hold that (with power on) for at least 30 seconds

Then try the default login

url:192.168.1.1

user:admin

password:admin

See here
Tried that a few times.......no luck. Then trying "one last time", as I put the paper clip in and pressed the reset button the whole house plunged into darkness! Thinking "Surely I didn't do that?" off I went to the CU. Up front 30mA RCD tripped. Reset and still nowt so went outside and neighbours confirmed local power cut. Power came back on and weirdly I was able to type in the url then admin + admin and get into the router setup! Half working, will have another crack tomorrow. Seems a case of cut the power whilst holding the reset button! Cheers.

Tried that a few times.......no luck. Then trying "one last time", as I put the paper clip in and pressed the reset button the whole house plunged into darkness! Thinking "Surely I didn't do that?" off I went to the CU. Up front 30mA RCD tripped. Reset and still nowt so went outside and neighbours confirmed local power cut. Power came back on and weirdly I was able to type in the url then admin + admin and get into the router setup! Half working, will have another crack tomorrow. Seems a case of cut the power whilst holding the reset button! Cheers.
Ah, that would be me. I arranged a Global Power outtage for you :innocent

or the local travellers have been 'nocturnal recycling of non ferrous metals'............... :coat

:slap

like I said, Im using one of those so if I can be of any help, let me know, but they are pretty basic once you get in there.

I think they've been around here as well,,,, was called out this evening to a house - their auto garage door wasn't working and their lights were dim.... Measued 164V L-N, I'm guessing it's a TNC-S supply with a lost neutral and imbalanced loading across the phases.... The whole area was down:O

Cheers for the tips will have another crack at it tonight. Managed to get the pcs connecting to the "new" D-Link router but couldn't then get on the net. Was late etc etc.

(EDF guy said our local pikeys have a penchant for stealing the earth cables off the wooden poles where I live. All originally TT down here but newer properties seemingly PME TNC-S. So presumably some houses could go overnight from being true PME to TNC-S with a higher Ze? Going into "another thread" territory here!:)I'm TT and sticking with it, last time I measured Ze it was about 4 ohms - bottom of a valley, high water table etc etc).

Anyway, back on topic, I've now got the laptop connected to the router, recognising it etc but can't get on the net with it.....

d-link_001.jpg

You have put your ISP address and password in I take it (on the router that is)

Also wants to be Home network on left not public (on the lap/pc that is)

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking of pikeys I see the police are raiding quite a few scrappies in my area and have recovered a lot of stolen cable, drain covers, railway lines ETC. I think scrappies may be a bit more careful who they take there scrap from.

I can confirm without a doubt that Talk Talk routers are not locked to their service. I am using one. all I had to do when I left talk talk for another ISP was change the user name and password stored in the router.

That's about the only good thing I can say about talk talk. Their almost standard answer to any problem is send you a new router. I have 4 of the darn things. you would think after sending 2 new routers and the problem was still there, they just might begin to realise the problem might be with their service, but no, we'll send you yet another router. Very glad to be shot of them. Shame their routers are virtually worthless, not oven any value to sell them on ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find them ok mostly, the main issue I have is getting cut off for not paying some-one elses bill. :|

our number must be almost the same as someone who doesnt pay their bill!!!! or something.

Latest posts