Mix & match mcb`s

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The IET have stated that if you chose to install "alternative" mcb`s etc in a consumer unit, the requirement is that they :

Fit mechanically so as not to unduly stress any connections

Meet or exceed the OEM specifications.

So, in practice this will surely mean that all you have to do is make sure that they fit well and match the BS number of the original mcb`s etc.

The type testing carried out by manufacturers can never test for all eventualities i.e. combination of rcbo`s/mcbs etc so therefore MUST rely on the modular products already conforming to a pre-existing standard.

I looked into this a while ago, and agree with the above, the only issue seemed to be where Annex Za was concerned.

I thought that some time ago all mcb's had to meet a set standard, one being that they had to have same physical dimensions, so they would fit any board.

Not a chance - the only standard is the BS for electrical characteristics.

Ironically, the "manufacturers" endlessly moan about poor quality imports affecting the performance of their boards - yet completely fail to mention that THEIR mcb`s are the same poor quality imports ...

I think their main gripe is that imports from the same factory that by-pass their business models are affecting their potential pensions .... ROTFWL

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:50 ----------

I looked into this a while ago, and agree with the above, the only issue seemed to be where Annex Za was concerned.
"Type testing" in the context of modular components within a discreet assembly is a total "protectionist" scam.

The really stupid part is that if the mcb HAD been standardised and was still produced in this country to ensure manufacturing/safety standards were maintained, the present fiasco would never have risen it`s ugly head in the first place .... ]:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have a link to the IET statement for future reference?

What makes our life harder, is the BS specs for MCB's don't actually specify the height of the input and output terminals. which means we have different manufacturers, with different busbar heights, hence not all mcb's will fit a particular CU.

As said before you have to use your common sense on this one if you have to bend the busbar or cut the busbar to make them fit or even cut the lid really an alternative or the correct MCB is a better option. I use TD line RCBO's in MK boards they are actually the same apart from the toggle switches which are a different colour and test button is also a different colour and TD line don't have an on on the switch but physically they are identical.

well, Ive said before, I fitted a BILL 3p board and had to file a smidgen (is that a technical term? is it bigger or smaller than a gnats?),off every single one of the fingers to get the [cant remember now] MCBs to fit,

am I going to burn forever?

Prof,

It is the "Type Testing" that will pull you up.

You have to meet makers instructions, and they say you can't mix and match.

Their excuse is that they can't type test their assemblies to meet any and all eventualities.

Whilst I don't like or or agree, we can't disagree with them either really, unless we are prepared to type test "our" assembly and ensure it meets all required standards.

I also agree that the BS for breakers is inadequate if the mixing and matching thing is not possible.allowed.

However, to change this will be even more difficult than doing "ANYTHING" about Part P!

Another "twist" to this today.

Todays job was a CU change. It was something of an emergency CU change as the main switch in the old wylex board was falling apart.

So no time to do any preparation, or order parts, just fit the BG board I happened to already have.

Now, this is a strange house. It doesn't have any ring finals, instead it has 6 radial soclet circuits all 2.5mm so I needed a lot more 16A MCB's. but I didn't have any spare BG ones.

So what I did was populate one half of the board with WYLEX MCB's and the other half with BG (cue the MCB police to come and "sort me out") The reason for the split like that is so it doesn't look bad, i.e each bank of MCB's are all one type.

Now this is where it gets "interesting"

The BG MCB's measure from top to bottom a few mm less than the BG RCD that is feeding them  so if the busbar is level, it leaves you wondering if the fingers are far enough into the MCB. But however you do it, it looks poor.

But on the side with the Wylex MCB's they are exactly the same height as the BG RCD and a perfect fit with all fingers fully engaged in the MCB

Now I could order up some BG MCB's and go back and swap them. But why would I want to change something that fits perfectly, for the "correct" MCB's that don't fit perfectly.

Just saying, that it's kind of ironic that the "wrong" ones are a better fit than the "correct" ones.

Could be a WYLEX CU badged as a BG CU with BG MCB's.

I'm using a lot of the BG bards at the mo and have no problem with them at all, I think thier a rebadged MK board.

Personally I would ave a problem leaving the wylex breakers in, I think this not mix and matching is a Load of rubbish!

Just saying .. I'd love to see a picture of your board today Dave .. Think it would look well funny. I also been fitting loads of BG boards not bad at all but I also used to/still do fit Wylex so have loads of spares. Least I know they fit now lol cheers Dave. :)

Well that just proves that doing it wrong is right and doing it right is wrong

Just saying.......
Innit Bruv. U no wot is da score blood :)

I don't have a camera in my phone. It's clockwork you know. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a steam model soon. These Lectrik ones will never catch on :innocent .

WELL, WE'LL, WELL!!!

Came across this topic just now, started by Prof, who clearly agrees with my position with regard to BSEN60439.

The mix and match debate was going on long before I became involved with TEF.

I hadn't realised that Prof was on this Forum, as I know him very well and he has a substantial standing in the Electrical Industry.

He has evaluated my Compact RCBOs and has given glowing reports on another Forum.

There is no question that Compact RCBOs are the future and it won't be long before the other "manufacturers" get on the bandwagon.

Maybe I should be worried about that, but I am not. The products they will introduce as Brand Owners, will be the same as mine or 2 other popular original products, so interchangeability and ongoing availability won't be a problem. I am likely to be cheaper to start with, but they can always price me out of the market if they want. If that happens, I will always have the satisfaction of knowing that I pioneered the Compact concept and that I wasn't afraid to stand up to the UK manufacturers' vested interest club,

SBS Dave

no one ever mentions the most important thing

It looks mucky mixing breakers.

Even same make make breakers that look different annoy me. Like the Wylex ones, the last ones and new NHX range. Mixing them in a board looks mucky.

Suits me if we change consumer units just so all the breakers match.

Status
Not open for further replies.