surround sound set up

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can somebody explain how I can play sky hd and perhaps a ps3 through my Sony surround system?

My tv has 2 scart and 2 hdmi inputs

One scart is being used for a wii the other is spare both hdmis are being used for sky hd and ps3.

My surround system has one scart and one hdmi and something called a dmport?

Thanx

Im not entirely sure, but my DVD player goes to my TV via HDMI and then the audio out (5.1 phono) of DVD player goes to my surround system [5.1 in)

the tv audio out (2 channel phono) goes to my surround system (2 ch in), which (sort of) converts it to 5.1 .

how many inputs does your surround system have?

mine has two inputs, a 5.1 and a normal stereo in (2ch),

if your TV has 5.1 audio out then simply connect that to your surround for everything.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was made at 15:23 ----------

EDIT

re-read your ins/outs

maybe you have to sacrifice one of your TV HDMIs for your surround, and put a smart switch thingie on the other to switch between SKY and PS3 [?]

Hi steps

Basically you are right, the surround system requires 1 hdmi and a scart connection

Sky hd left as it was straight through hdmi to tv

Sounds working perfect now, roll on grand prix :)

Choice I have is either remove sky to use ps3 or I've found a 4 way splitter box for less than

Last edited by a moderator:
Roll on the grand prix indeed :) Canada is always my favorite weekend on the calendar .

Hi betty, fist of all I don't think you will get true surround sound only Dolby digital with your set up which sounds the same as mine. First you will have to connect your surround sound DVD to an hdmi port in the tv then you may want to buy one of these in the picture provided. You can get this from maplins. The output from this goes to the tv then your ps3 and sky hd go into the inputs on the splitter. Then you will need to put a multi scart adaptor ( see pic ) and connect your red white and yellow component cables from ps3 into scart adapters and take a scart lead from sky box to multi scart adaptor. The other end of the multi scart adapter lead goes into the DVD player and this will take care of your sound and the hdmi leads will take care of your picture

Hope this helps.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:42 ----------

Last edited by a moderator:
lets all put photos of our cables on our surround sound systems :coat :slap

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

I have my sky through pc speakers but DVD through denon power amp and processor. I am a complete geek when it comes to home cinema lol You should get Dolby digital with Sky and ifvwatching blu on PS3 if set up right and your system can decode the higher bit rate of DTS Master and Dolby Tru HD. Dor bog standard sky Dolby should suffice.

Can somebody explain how I can play sky hd and perhaps a ps3 through my Sony surround system?My tv has 2 scart and 2 hdmi inputs

One scart is being used for a wii the other is spare both hdmis are being used for sky hd and ps3.

My surround system has one scart and one hdmi and something called a dmport?

Thanx
Firstly the DMPort is for a Sony accessory - connects digital media players

Sky does not do Dolby 5.1 over HDMI you need to use either optical or the Coax (orange connector) into a surround system, (it may support DD via the Red/White audio out), you might succeed using a SCART converter (Scart RGB to 3x RCA Triple SVHS Composite Phono Adapter | eBay) using just the Red/White

The PS3 does support 5.1 through the HDMI cable

So PS3 is simple HDMI, SkyHD use HDMI for video and try SCART adapter for audio if you have no optical input

Cheap HDMI switch if required 3 Port HDMI Switch Switcher Splitter for HDTV HD 1080P PS3 | eBay

Firstly the DMPort is for a Sony accessory - connects digital media players

Sky does not do Dolby 5.1 over HDMI you need to use either optical or the Coax (orange connector) into a surround system, (it may support DD via the Red/White audio out), you might succeed using a SCART converter  using just the Red/White

The PS3 does support 5.1 through the HDMI cable

So PS3 is simple HDMI, SkyHD use HDMI for video and try SCART adapter for audio if you have no optical input

Cheap HDMI switch if required 
analog red/white does not support dolby digital, only 2 channel or the pseudo surround pro-logic. for true dolby digital you need optical or hdmi.

Due to my surround sound being quite old, it doesn't have an optical or HDMI port, so I'm currently using the Red and White audio cables on the scart cable for the actual PS3 and then plug them into the back of the PS3. Although that doesn't solve your issue of how to get sound through your Sky TV as well :/ 

Latest posts