Moving abroad with old dog

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_major

Reaction score
I'm moving abroad soon, to a hot country and want to know what is best for a 9 year old greyhound. I want to take him with us, and have already paid for pet passort, ferry etc, but am concerned that the heat of Southern Spain in the height of summer may be too much for him. We will also be moving to an apartment (no choice there), and being arthritic, this may be a bind for him too. I am wondering whether a more suitable retirement with a family member with large garden would better for him?

Really difficult question.

There could be 2 sides to this. The warmer, dryer climate is likely to be easier on the arthritis than here. Greyhounds are thin skinned and tend to be more bothered by cold than heat. Does the apartment have air-con?

The flip side is heat stress as you say. It is also a LONG journey.

If you said the dog was in heart failure then the advice would be 100% stay home.

How does the dog cope on hot summer days here? Do you find the arthritis better in summer vs winter?

Neither is the right answer, but if in any way possible I'd take my dog with me.