Lab - Labrador dog has warm ears and appears to be irritated by them, enjoys a scratch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Hello Patch,

I have just come back from the Vet with Sandy. We have the vet' diagnosis and treatment, but I am not going to say guite yet.

Now, without seeing Sandy in person and going on my description (and some of what the vet says, what would you say it is and how would you treat it?).

Symptoms:

Ears are quite warm to the touch.

Appears irritated around his ears.

Loves a scratch on his ears, with a pleasurable groan type noise given off (the dog, not me).

A slight inflamation in his ears.

Red wax substance in his ears (plenty of).

Over to you, Sir. :)

Parasites maybe causing infection or/and diarohia, could also be mites or yeast in ears. Or possibly the dog is allergic to meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have enough information to say the dog has otitis (inflamed ear canals). The over production of wax is the body trying to 'flush' the infection from the ears.

If the vet saw ear mites then I usually put a spot-on the back of the neck to kill the mites, prescribe a topical anti-inflammatory/anti-biotic preparation and usually an ear cleaner.

If no mites are seen then in mild cases I will prescribe anti-inflammatory/anti-biotic preparation and usually an ear cleaner.

If there is poor response to treatment or the ears are especially bad then the animal can need a general anaesthetic and its ears cleaning. This is a good opportunity to examine some of the discharge looking for bacteria, mites or yeast.

Sometimes if things are really red the dog needs tablets (steroids) to reduce the inflammation and open the ear canals.

Ear disease can be a manifestation of skin disease and be caused by allergy that in itself may need investigation.

The important thing is to get on top of things now, because under-treating these things can cause more problems in the long term.

What has your vet said?

One of mine (flax retriever) had something where the ear swelled up. She had to have it drained and came back with buttons sewn into it and a big silly collar.

Parasites maybe causing infection or/and diarohia, could also be mites or yeast in ears. Or possibly the dog is allergic to meat.
Good Guess, John. :Applaud

We have enough information to say the dog has otitis (inflamed ear canals). The over production of wax is the body trying to 'flush' the infection from the ears. If the vet saw ear mites then I usually put a spot-on the back of the neck to kill the mites, prescribe a topical anti-inflammatory/anti-biotic preparation and usually an ear cleaner.

If no mites are seen then in mild cases I will prescribe anti-inflammatory/anti-biotic preparation and usually an ear cleaner.

If there is poor response to treatment or the ears are especially bad then the animal can need a general anaesthetic and its ears cleaning. This is a good opportunity to examine some of the discharge looking for bacteria, mites or yeast.

Sometimes if things are really red the dog needs tablets (steroids) to reduce the inflammation and open the ear canals.

Ear disease can be a manifestation of skin disease and be caused by allergy that in itself may need investigation.

The important thing is to get on top of things now, because under-treating these things can cause more problems in the long term.

What has your vet said?
Well done Mr Vet. (why does that not suprise me?) :) :Applaud :Salute

Took Sandy to Vet, Vet said it could be mites or fleas or an allergic reaction. Confirmed that there were no Mites (that she could see) and definately not fleas.

Told not to give Sandy any treats, keep him on the same dog food (Bakers Complete) and Just water. Asked if Sandy had been vormitting - Which he has, eating grass from garden - eaving and bring up yellow Mucus?

Prescribed CleanAural Dog Ear Cleaner - Once daily, in each ear, gently massage ear and wipe with cotton wool.

Also

Surolan Ear drops and Cutaneous Suspension Ear and skin treatment for cats and dogs (also provides Anti-inflammatory & antipruritic activity)., Once daily and gentle massage. Also rub a little into the red part of his actual ear.

We also bought Advocate spot on solution 400 dog 25-40kg (Sandy is just under 30kg) pipettes and we apply 1 pipette ever 6 weeks. (we always buy this)

Sandy also had his jab (supposed to have had it September, when he was one year old, but we didn't do it :( ) - He has to go back in a fortnight for a check on his ears and his main annual Jab.

With regard to the vormitting, it could be because we put a splash of milk in his water, during the hot week that we had recently, because we couldn't get him to drink a lot. (he did drink an average though - if that makes sense). Vet said to leave the milk out and try a little salt or suger in his water.

Like Apache says keep on top of the treatment, we unfortunately got behind and lazy with one of our dogs and the torment she went through was not very good, bordering on us being guilty of neglect. By the time we did get around to doing anything the condition had progressed to severe swelling of the ear canal and almost too hot to touch ears. I will never forgive myself for allowing her to suffer the way she did.

Side effects of allowing it to progress to later stages include a total breakdown of the immune system and it could effect the nervous system.

The final Vet bills were far dearer than if we had controlled it from the early stages.

(it was a monthly injection from the Vet (apache) I think it was steriod and something else, and that was besides the daily tablets).

Sandy has seen the vet again for a check up on his ears and his annual Jab.

The Vet has put him on a 10 day course of the two again, (ears) - as they have not cleared up completely.

A lot of dogs suffer mostly in the summer because of grass pollen in their ears, not sure if this is applicable to your Sandy but a possible cause.

I have 4 dogs now, I did have 5 until my pal had to be put down last month, and a group of dogs are far better at letting you know when something is wrong than a single pet. They behave differently to others in a pack, and they will always try and help, often by cleaning and grooming.

Keep up with the treatment, ear infections drive a dog crazy, just try stroking a healthy dogs ears to see how sensitive they are to them.