consumer unit without main switch,what code?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnymac

Reaction score
hi guys can someone please tell me what code id put for finding a consumer unit with no main switch when doing an EICR?

Can you post a photo with the cover off? I'm having trouble visualising how the tails could even be connected in to a board if there is no main switch?

But based on the lack of info, on the face of it I'd say C1

Is it an old Wylex Xtenso unit? designed to be bolted onto an old Wylex406, with holes on the 'busbar side' similar to outgoing side.

Without seeing it I would give it a C2 [no immediate 'Danger' but still needs sorting out]

or give it a C5 'does not comply with anything, but give it a couple of weeks +/or ammendments and it will be O.K.!'...................... :coat

6mil from db feeding x 2 16 amp mcbs. supply IN linked. 2.5s going out

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:41 ----------

fed from db in other room

there is a 6 mm t&e cable from a db that feeds the consumer unit/2 way enclosure which is in a different room. the live from the 6 mil goes into the top of a 16 AMP mcb then there is a link to the top of another 16 AMP mcb. Then out of the bottom of mcb 1 there is a 2.5mm that feeds a socket and out of the bottom of mcb 2 there is a 2.5mm feeding another socket!

If I'm reading this right, someone is using a couple of MCB's to break the 6mm feed into a couple of 2.5 radials instead of using FCU's. Nothing wrong with this as far as I can see.

Don't see why that will make any difference. RCD's (Contactum - ref ProDave's recent post) maybe, but MCB's aren't sensitive to orientation.

hi guys can someone please tell me what code id put for finding a consumer unit with no main switch when doing an EICR?
Is it electrically unsafe for any reason? i.e. exposed live parts inadequate protection to some circuit cables, missing earth PC's? Just because some thing is wired in an obscure or unusual way does not necessary mean it is unsafe. From the information given it is sounding like springcrocus post 16 and nozsparks post 9 have evaluated the arrangement as it is. I am not aware of any regulation that says every enclosure with a protective device must have an isolating switch.

Doc H.