Packet snooping & diagnosing refused connections to secure web sites

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

Getting terrible trouble connecting to a secure website via my router & ISP.

Can connect via 3G on all devices.

Cannot connect hard wired or wifi from router.

No error messages that mean anything.

I can ping & tracert to the site in question OK.

Open to suggestions & ideas!

ah, I cant access it either, keeps timing out on me on certain pages.

I can only access the front-end so to speak, cant access the modified mail pages. :|

User name & password are ok as they work on the xp pro machine with Chrome via 3G connection.

Can't understand how the router can affect only one site.

So you can access other sites through your router and ISP without the 3G attached.

Maybe you need to open up a port on the router, my son had an issue with a game site and I needed to open up a port for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked at port opening, did not seem, to need it, after all I am only logging into a https://www. Website.

It was working up to 3 days ago fine.

Can't, recall, any updates on win since then, plus as Ubuntu is affected, along with ios5 then it can't be a win thing.

No router updates for sure.

Rebooted and short of a factory reset not much else I can think of.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:22 ----------

Oh there is a fw on the router, but can't see any settings that will block the access

Anyone able to access & analyse Wireshark logs, if, I post one from Ubuntu connected directly to the Virgin media modem & one connected to the Draytek to see what the difference is?

It's just a load of nonsense to me!

I will try to capture the event of logging into the "suspect" website.

the only time I have ever used wireshark is for penetration testing, network attachments or to decypher wi-fi networks, Im not sure they tell you a lot about remote servers,

I could be wrong though. :|

It is capturing all packets between myself & the remote server, I'm hoping it will help diagnose the issue as if I can't I am well stuffed with regard to this site as it will mean shutting down my whole network to access it, or using 3G all the time, which is just a non starter, basically i will have wasted my time & money!

I can't see what is wrong, the server is fine, the connection is fine from the Virgin hub, as soon as I put the Draytek in it all stops!

I can't find any port blocking in the Draytek.

The only thing I can think of is the site blocking the IP as it is not the same as the WAN IP?