FLEAS!!! Help needed please!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillibea

Reaction score
Hi there, Two weeks ago I treated my dog with 'Beaphar' dog flea and tick drops, it doesnt appear to have been very effective, she is still scratching madly and I have found 6 or 7 live fleas in my house, I want to treat her again with Frontline, when will it be safe for my to do this, I dont want to make her ill, but the thought of these horrible little creatures in my house is making me ill! Thanks! headbang

Hello - was the product you used Frontline? Did you part the hair and make sure the product got onto the skin?

To me it sounds like the house may have a heavy infestation. For every flea on the dog they reckon there is another 99 in various life stages in your house (eggs, larvae etc). Not nice. What often happens is the product is working on the dog but new fleas are getting on the pet. The Frontline causes excitement before killing so seeing fleas on a treated pet can be their final throws.

You need to hoover the house very thoroughly paying particular attention to areas your pet spends time. Then get a can of household flea spray from your vet and treat the house and go out for a few hours. Do the car too.

Beware as the cheap flea and tick drops don't last long and are not very effective. You should be ok using the Frontline now. Frontline is very safe, don't apply more of the other drops.

I had the same trouble last year. As said above bought the spray from the vets,

I bought an electronic flea killer from Maplin, a mains heated type thing with sticky discs covered in attractant of some sort. All it caught was dust!

SW - if you have an established infection then environmental treatment is vital. If your pet doesn't have fleas and you are using Frontline (or similar effective products) as preventative then no need.

Many people get lax and only think about fleas once the pet has them. By that point you will not succeed in control without treating the environment. It is where we commonly get people thinking the products are not working.

It's better to prevent the establishment of an infestation rather than deal with the buggers once you have them.

On the subject of fleas, we currently use Advocate on the dog and cats (flea and worm version). Is there a product we can use with this to treat ticks aswell. I spend a lot of time with the dog in the great outdoors and ticks are extremely irritating especially in areas where there are lots of deer. We have been told we can get Advocate flea and tick version, but I would then be worried about worms / internal parasites as the dog likes eating rabbit / sheep / deer / horse turds (and then licking everyone :( )

Binky, Advocate only kills roundworms, not tapeworm. Dogs catch roundworms from other dogs, they get tapeworms from sheep and rabbits.

My advice would be to use separate products. There are a couple that claim good activity against ticks, but the most cost effective product is something called a Scvalibor collar. A single collar lasts six months. They are only licenced to repel ticks but I have never seen a dog wearing one get fleas if you get my drift?

Then use something effective like Drontal/Milbemax 6 times per year as a wormer that treats round and tapeworms.

Advocate is not the product for you.

Sounds good , thanks.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:05 ---------- Previous post was made at 07:45 ----------

Got me thinking now :D What other pests can the mutt pick up from 'the countryside' and does the wormy / ticky stuff snuff the other bugs & diseases as well? Twas thinking of things like liver flukes, or are these so rare that I'm just being a bit paranoid?

You most likely candidate would be mange from foxes (the Advocate protects from that as does a product called Stronghold). Dogs and people can pick up liver fluke but it is very rare and I have never seen a case. That is really a cattle and sheep problem. Lungworm is a possibility (caught from slugs and snails) and the Milbemax wormer should protect, this is the reason a lot of vets have swapped over to the Advocate.

You have me worried now my wife drinks advocate should she give it up?
how much would you miss her?

could you get a dishwasher on HP from the electric board? there are various places now where you can get clothes washed and ironed and most cafes round here are open fairly late at night. :)