What's the thoughts of a fully competant Electrician when he/she is told they are getting an apprentice?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebluewaffle

Reaction score
I ask this because, everyone knows a Companies or College's point of view on Apprenticeships....That its good for the growth, development and a somewhat good investment for a business.

But I want the real opinions of the actual engineers on what they think about working with an apprentice.

If you're told you will have an Apprentice working under you, do you see it as a chance to make someones life a ballache? Or genuinely see it as a good idea training someone up to work alongside? Or more of a pain, which will slow down the rate in which you complete tasks, because you are explaining what you are doing .etc?

Cheers for any feedback. Much appreciated.

It all depends on what kind of apprentice works alongside you. I have had apprentices who are lazy, with bad attitudes and always on there phones. On the other hand I have also had apprentices who are hard working, polite and want to achieve something in life.

I think apprenticeships are a good idea, I did an apprenticeship and I think on site experience mixed with college theory work helps you to understand what you are actually learning about.

It all depends on what kind of apprentice works alongside you. I have had apprentices who are lazy, with bad attitudes and always on there phones. On the other hand I have also had apprentices who are hard working, polite and want to achieve something in life. I think apprenticeships are a good idea, I did an apprenticeship and I think on site experience mixed with college theory work helps you to understand what you are actually learning about.
That's good to know.

Thanks to previous work exp, I'd say I've got a good graft in me. I just don't want to be considered a ballache and a 'hindrance' on daily tasks.

Make sure that you do the simple things correctly like working safely, being tidy, clear up throughout and at the end of the day etc etc. These actions should more then make up for the extra time that it takes to explain something to you. Don't be afraid to tell someone that you didnt understand an instruction, telling you something twice is lot quicker and easier than having to 'make good' your mistake. Good luck on Monday

Dont stand around doing nothing,

If you finish what your doing tell your spark, if yes not about/busy then tidy up, sweep the rubbish.

The most important thing is to listen, and I dont mean to your mp3 player.

Make it so your spark wonders how he done without you, if he asks you to fetch something dont dawdle, you dont have to do a linford, but dont take forever.

Remember, all the rubbish dirty smelly jobs that you will be asked to do, your

spark has probably already done them all loads of times.

Speaking as someone approaching 50, who did an apprenticeship and now works with them:

1) Don't be LATE!

2) Don't mouth off in front of clients

3) If, and you will, make the occasional f*** up tell someone quick - don't cover it up

4) Don't be afraid to ask

5) If they're paying for your college etc MAKE THE MOST OF IT. When your young all you have to keep is often your car and your d**k. Don't be a saint but if you put motors and women first (like I did) then college can suffer (trust me)! Its a hell of a lot harder when you're married/mortgaged and all kidded up!

6) If borrowing tools, look after them and give them back

7) Try and be proactive rather than stand there texting. Try and anticipate the tool the sparks will want next - you'll get home earlier!

8) +1 on the rubbish.

on a lighter note:

6) DO make/get the tea and give the change back

7) Don't spend an age playing games on your iPhone even if it's your break. We only like Pong & Space Invaders

8) We're not interested in a fashion show if you come back from Gap or whatever after lunch

9) We WILL take a great interest in photos of your bird! Video even better!

10) Accept they'll take the pi$$. It'll be soon enough and you can do the same to someone else!

Speaking as someone approaching 50, who did an apprenticeship and now works with them:1) Don't be LATE!

3) If, and you will, make the occasional f*** up tell someone quick - don't cover it up deffo, the plumber will fix the pipe now, or it can wait til the ceiling is up,painted and the whole house has flooded!

4) Don't be afraid to ask and listen to the answer

5) If they're paying for your college etc MAKE THE MOST OF IT. When your young all you have to keep is often your car and your d**k. Don't be a saint but if you put motors and women first (like I did) then college can suffer (trust me)! Its a hell of a lot harder when you're married/mortgaged and all kidded up!

6) If borrowing tools, look after them and give them back you will understand this the first time you lose one of your own tools bought with hard earned

7) Try and be proactive rather than stand there texting. Try and anticipate the tool the sparks will want next - you'll get home earlier!

8) +1 on the rubbish.

on a lighter note:

6) DO make/get the tea and give the change back

7) Don't spend an age playing games on your iPhone even if it's your break. We only like Pong & Space Invaders

8) We're not interested in a fashion show if you come back from Gap or whatever after lunch

9) We WILL take a great interest in photos of your bird! Video even better! oh yes :D

10) Accept they'll take the pi$$. It'll be soon enough and you can do the same to someone else!
:Applaud

Speaking as someone approaching 50, who did an apprenticeship and now works with them:1) Don't be LATE!

3) If, and you will, make the occasional f*** up tell someone quick - don't cover it up

4) Don't be afraid to ask

6) If borrowing tools, look after them and give them back

8) +1 on the rubbish.

on a lighter note:

6) DO make/get the tea and give the change back7) Don't spend an age playing games on your iPhone even if it's your break. We only like Pong & Space Invaders

9) We WILL take a great interest in photos of your bird! Video even better!

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated! Then again, I know that I'm not gonna spend all day ****ing about on my phone, I'm there to learn & work, which I understand. Plus, I know I have a hell of a lot more life experience than any younger lad coming into an apprenticeship.

But, I am more interested in the general thoughts of an Electrician when they are told they are getting an apprentice...do you immediatley think 'ohh for ****s sake' or do you tend to think more productively about it?