Hypothyroid Spaniel no hair re growth / thin skin

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sand

Reaction score
Hi and thank you for reading my story, hopefully someone out there can help.

I have a black nine year old American Cocker who is diagnosed with hypothyroidism, he has been on forthyron for about a year and a half now and has been doing really well, back to normal weight and his energy levels are good. His T4 levels are within range and was tested recently. he does have allergies, not atopic as we did bloods for this ages ago, not sure what his allergies are but they are under control, he is on burns fish diet and has 1/4 prednisilone every other day to combat his itchy feet, he no longer gets ear infections.

For the last 8 months or so his normally thick woolly coat has deteriorated significantly, he has very poor re growth on his back from neck to tail, in fact he is almost bald, and it has gone reddy brown, coat on head and legs are as normal. i also think that his skin has gone slighty thinner too, it seems like he has lost the fat in his skin. He goes to the vet regularly and my vet is not sure what the prob may be, he did a urine sample for cushings which proved negative

He eats well, in fact he is always hungry, and his energy is amazing, keeps up with a 2 year old. Any help would be great thank you for reading

Hi and thank you for reading my story, hopefully someone out there can help.I have a black nine year old American Cocker who is diagnosed with hypothyroidism, he has been on forthyron for about a year and a half now and has been doing really well, back to normal weight and his energy levels are good. His T4 levels are within range and was tested recently. he does have allergies, not atopic as we did bloods for this ages ago, not sure what his allergies are but they are under control, he is on burns fish diet and has 1/4 prednisilone every other day to combat his itchy feet, he no longer gets ear infections.

For the last 8 months or so his normally thick woolly coat has deteriorated significantly, he has very poor re growth on his back from neck to tail, in fact he is almost bald, and it has gone reddy brown, coat on head and legs are as normal. i also think that his skin has gone slighty thinner too, it seems like he has lost the fat in his skin. He goes to the vet regularly and my vet is not sure what the prob may be, he did a urine sample for cushings which proved negative

He eats well, in fact he is always hungry, and his energy is amazing, keeps up with a 2 year old. Any help would be great thank you for reading
Hi,fish diet for ACS is not the best idea, whilst it will keep the coat of a sled dog heathy and shinny it won't have the same effect on your dog. My advice is to do a search for "best diet for American cocker spaniel" I'm not saying it can't have fish but twice a week would be more than enough,if u can't find anything PM me and I'll send u a link. I have also heard people having great results feeding raw for a dog (especially ACS) with hypothyroidism.