2391 for schemes?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hxsarge

Reaction score
ive been testing and inspecting for about 5 years, and im trusted as being competent by my employer. just having a browse of a few different providers requirements and it seems you need your 2391 for napit? im not really interested in doing it unless i really really need to. do you need it for elecsa? how many people are self employed without it?

ah good, il have a look cheers

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:52 ----------

how picky are nieic? will for example a new circuit added such as a ringmain and a minor works such as an alteration to a ring do for the 2 jobs required? or do i need to take them to a slightly bigger job such as a db swap? also will they let you show them a job on a commercial site for the part p inspection?

I get where your coming from, I just have more commercial inthe pipeline at the moment. Wondered how flexible they where, as the company I have been working for are in elecsa and only had one rewire this year do showed the assessor a gym we did.

no idea how flexible they are, but i would have throught the job you show should at least be notifiable

i know what you mean about the commercial bit - i almost always have problems finding a suitable job for asessment, most of my notifiable work is bathroom spotlights, & CU changes

comercial, i would have plenty to show them

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt know NICEIC did partP inspections either Andy,

why do you want to show an electrical scheme something to do with building regulations? [i think that was Andy's point]

you are going to struggle if you dont know your regs.!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:34 ----------

but i would have throught the job you show should at least be notifiable
that would depend if he is going DI or AC surely ?

ah good, il have a look cheers---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:52 ----------

how picky are nieic? will for example a new circuit added such as a ringmain and a minor works such as an alteration to a ring do for the 2 jobs required? or do i need to take them to a slightly bigger job such as a db swap? also will they let you show them a job on a commercial site for the part p inspection?
2 jobs??? ...... try 5 Sarge.... and if ya newby to them they will do all 5 too...... Part P on commercial - no such thing so no is your answer there....

As for 2391, I'm AC and I dont hold it, they will go the extra mile and ask more questions during the day with you than normal, and maybe teat your knowledge on what ifs, but as long as you know your onions you'll be okay.....

I work for 3 companies mostly commercial, and a little domestic. So i have not needed to be a member myself.

This year i did join the gang so i could do more private jobs and set myself up in case the commercial drys up.

I spoke to NIC and was told i needed a notifiable and non notifiable. I did Just that, rung them to book it in and was told i needed 2 notifiable for the first year and after that i would need one notifiable and one non. I kept my cool, checked paperwork which had no reference. I cooled off over the weekend and called back and the chap on the phone told me one notifiable and one non, i relayed what i was told 3 days earlier and then he could not tell me and said he would ring back, and no one did. I wrote them an email and explained the situation. I was called back and a nice lady that told me they would accept my 1 notifiable and 1 non notifiable job and booked my visit in.

My visit was fine and if you know what your doing there should not be a problem. Companies i use are NIC AC, i am now in there gang (well DI, i can go for AC on renewal) and think they are excellent. I have not Used any of the others, i know 2 other guys that have not been impressed with Elecsa and ECA, i think they have both gone to Nappit.

As i did everything correctly, regarding notifying building control i would go for 2 consumer unit changes. My building control officer said if i did a new circuit they would want to visit before i did anything to see the cable run, and then pay a spark to visit after and test it, at

I didnt know NICEIC did partP inspections either Andy,why do you want to show an electrical scheme something to do with building regulations? [i think that was Andy's point]

you are going to struggle if you dont know your regs.!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:34 ----------

that would depend if he is going DI or AC surely ?
assessment then, anal much? haha. i was thinking about di but i dont think il bother for now, rang niceic friday and to be honest there not the most friendly people going are they? had a nice chat on phone to a nice bloke at stroma too, seems the most viable option. im only wanting to do the bare miniumum to self certify the domestic. i have done a lot of commercial work recently for my self, id rather this be my main sector, just cant afford to ditch the domestic. i know my regs etc better than most.

Really? So why are you asking about an electrical scheme wanting to check your compliance with a building regulation?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:20 ----------

BTW, STROMA will require you to have full 2391, not the easy one, its in their t&c s when you get them.

I,ll look it up when i get in tomoz, i have them at home.

U tried Napit or elecsa Napit will let u join if you do 2391 within 12 months or y not just do your 2391 or what ever it's now called

dont get what your getting at. just another scam provider to deem you competent, and notify work.

when i phoned the guy on the phone was trying to get me to apply right there and then. when i asked what was required all he said was 17th edition, and experience working as a domestic electrician. which lets be honest is just plain funny because my wife could pass that joke of an exam. i have the whole nvq and city and guilds shabang, i just can not see the point in shelling out for the 2391/new equivalent

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:49 ----------

U tried Napit or elecsa Napit will let u join if you do 2391 within 12 months or y not just do your 2391 or what ever it's now called
its all money mate, and more importantly time off work.

think hes talking about the non city and guilds ones, think theres a few about, some that give nvq's?

I enquired about joining elecsa. I told them that my work was all industrial and commercial but wanted registration incase work started drying up. Told him I might not have any domestic to show the assessor. I was told, and I quote, " ..... some work at your own house would be ok or failing that an industrial job would be fine as long as I gave them a weeks notice"

I thought there was only one 2391?

I know they split it up a few years ago as it had a high fail rate which I found really stupid as it shouldn't be made easier.

I think it changed to 2391/10 and 2391/20 I think.

Probably that came about and pushed through by the scam society so they could enrol more people

2391 was not split up, 2391-10 IS THE SAME as the old 2391.

2391-20 is the same as the old 2400, the 2400 was just renamed, as the 2 courses complement each other and the practical for the old 2391-20/2400, does not have to be taken, if, you have a pass in 2391-10.

Hi Roadesparky,

I enquired to Elecsa about a year ago, i told them i had a very nice industrial install thay could come and look at, but they wrote back and said that while am industrial install might involve a lot of design work and so on, they could not use it for assessment as it was not domestic.... They want to make their minds up..

john..

2391 was not split up, 2391-10 IS THE SAME as the old 2391.2391-20 is the same as the old 2400, the 2400 was just renamed, as the 2 courses complement each other and the practical for the old 2391-20/2400, does not have to be taken, if, you have a pass in 2391-10.
I think they are referring to 2394/2395.

Latest posts