Labels on sockets, lights etc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpjpjpjpjp

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm just wondering if there is a regulation regarding labelling each socket and light with reference to its supplying mcb. I can see it may be necessary if there are multiple distribution boards, but this site only has one, clearly labelled dist board.

Any help would be great, thanks

Would you want to get a call fault finding or testing the youth centre after the previous spark didn't label what DB and circuit the sockets and lights came from?

Always think of the next guy that's what I do so the answer is yes label it mate as it makes your life and others peoples lives a lot easier.

;)

Don't "think" there is an explicit reg, I'd have to check, & no chance tonight, sorry!

Though, why not?

That is unless it is as basic as a domestic type install.

It all depends on the requirements of those who request the works. I do a lot with the NHS and have to label each outlet with the distribution board outlay.

I actually love it when all outlets are clearly labelled, it makes any testing very easy for me.

If there is only one DB it really would not be necessary to mark each switch ETC as long as the DB is marked. Although if there were 36 circuits it would be brilliant for testing as Manator says.

You might even consider getting a "fuse finder" if you do lots of work involving figuring which db feeds which socket............and a labelling machine of course!

Cheers guys, got a response from the niceic help desk. Basically not necessary, but helpful as was implied by the replies. Problem client pushing for reasons to withhold payment

Thanks again

Well once again I disagree witht he NICEIC helpline, surprise surprise!

I had a situation today where I was working on a machine, there were about 30 DB's in the premises.

"My" local isolator had a label "isolate at DB9".

So I go to DB9, to find the other end of the cable.

The labelling in there does not tell me which cable feeds "my" isolator.

So I worked on it "live" but, I was only working on the "dead" side of the isolator, & left on my paperwork that the install did not comply with BS7671, PUWER98, nor EAWR89, and left it for them to sort out with their insurance company, or HSE if something happens!

Well once again I disagree witht he NICEIC helpline, surprise surprise!I had a situation today where I was working on a machine, there were about 30 DB's in the premises.

"My" local isolator had a label "isolate at DB9".

So I go to DB9, to find the other end of the cable.

The labelling in there does not tell me which cable feeds "my" isolator.

So I worked on it "live" but, I was only working on the "dead" side of the isolator, & left on my paperwork that the install did not comply with BS7671, PUWER98, nor EAWR89, and left it for them to sort out with their insurance company, or HSE if something happens!
Unlabeled switchgear and DBs in industrial and commercial seem far too common place.

It all depends on the requirements of those who request the works. I do a lot with the NHS and have to label each outlet with the distribution board outlay.I actually love it when all outlets are clearly labelled, it makes any testing very easy for me.
Until you find it say's that there are x amount of sockets and you can't find one when you have a problem because some idiot has boxed it in, that why personnally I also prefer a drawing with the layout off the building with switches/sockets etc marked on it with circuit reference

Cheers guys, got a response from the niceic help desk. Basically not necessary, but helpful as was implied by the replies. Problem client pushing for reasons to withhold payment Thanks again
Ultimately this must be down to the diagrams, charts, labels, documentation requirements in Chapter 514.9 and the clients requirements. If the client asks for it must be done. Or if there is an obvious risk of confusion or danger due to complexity of installation when needing to isolate circuits then clear labeling is needed. I would think most non-domestic, (i.e. no single owner or responsible person) environments would benefit from more robust labeling of accessories.

Doc H.

i often mark the socket with the circuit number, and board number if there is more than 1.

but providing the board is adequately marked up, then its not always necessary to mark each socket

No reg but.... just done an EICR on a pub with three DBs' and with alledgedly 22 C1 + C2's from the last ****** who went in there!, I found nothing labled at all, including MCB's. How the last bloke did it I don't know, well he missed loads of stuff, mis-identified others.

Me and the Lad spent 2 days testing, locating and labling everything, fixed all the faults, not as many as first thuoght, but some of them were those 'do it as you go' faults as its easier than going back to it.

In any but domestic I think it really helps you next time, the clients tend to like your ethic!, the next guy, fault finding....really all pro's.

Use a Brother 7500 bought on fleabay for half the price of Denmans.........great machine

Let's face it, in a domestic situation "madam" is NOT going to like a sticky white label on each of her flat plate chrome or mocha chocolate coloured sockets is she. I wonder though if "she'd" go for it if she were able to select from a glossy catalogue the label colour, font style and size etc and then change her mind three times?

I agree that labelling accessories in a domestic is overboard, and, not a pretty sight!

However, for industrial, it should be done, & for commercial, then there would need to be a good reason not to label. IMHO.

Have seen it where sockets/switches etc where labelled up and the client went ballistic as the idiot who labelled up used black lettering on white background on polished chrome/brass accessories, had to go round them all and change them all to one with black lettering on a clear background.

Used to see the old metal clad ones up in the boiler rooms etc on the sites. They would have specially engraved Traffolyte labels GLUED onto the socket front with heavy duty 2-part epoxy. Mind you, old school site they would even have their own engraving machine, lathe etc etc. Have brought a few home over the years following refurbs it always bugs me (even on freebies) that when / if I manage to chisel the label off it leaves a nasty mark and takes the lacquer off!