"Just 8" Notifiables

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In these days of money being tight etc I'm surprised one of the schemes hasn't brought back the scheme whereby you paid like 50% of the normal yearly fee but were limited to doing 8 notifiable jobs. As in it would be another revenue stream for them. Thereafter you could "pay as you go" if you did more - I think it was ELECSA who used to do it. SUre it was called "Just 8" or similar? My college lecturer way back did it just so he could keep his hand in doing the odd pj. When I asked they had stopped doing it. Or was it NAPIT...........

Thinking it would suit the competent person where sparking isn't his day job etc and wants to do the odd home or relative's job.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still in use from Napit, but only for non trades professionals. Dunno about the no financial bit, but basically it's for college lecturers not part time sparkys :(

Hear hear to a scheme for those of us who do few and far between notifiable jobs!

Napit told me today that it's still in operation but for non professional electrical work. So if the jobs are notified by eg "a.n.other electrics" rather than "alfred lecturealot" then the notifiee would be struck off!

was met with a blank expression when i asked for a scheme for small scale sole traders....

On/off.. Did you get anywhere with this? I am time served with all current tickets needed but can't afford to register anymore because I am only part time spark...only need about 3 Certs a year!! I Was just 8 napit but had to leave cos work was for others and not family n friends ya see. I do mainly maintenance etc and not new circuits etc. also u can't advertise as a sparky if u r just 8! Shame to have to leave the industry with my experience and qualifications but its bloody tempting... I probably only do about 40 days per year to top up my other income.... Also noticed that its the sparks who seem monitored and persecuted but manufacturers of equipment get away with shabby unsafe equipment. Lighting manufacturers are the worst...aweful terminations etc and still seeing plastic back boxes with no terminations for the unrequired earth cable.... Sorry rant over...

Birty, You don't have to leave the industry just because you only do a few notifiable jobs each year. Just notify them and stump up the labc fee. Or just avoid notifiable jobs if you do so few anyway.

And who says you can't call yourself a sparky? it sounds to me like you are qualified and time served so can't see how anyone can stop you using that description.

Nobody seems to monitor and persecute me. I just get on and do the job to the best of my ability.

On/off.. Did you get anywhere with this? I am time served with all current tickets needed but can't afford to register anymore because I am only part time spark...only need about 3 Certs a year!! I Was just 8 napit but had to leave cos work was for others and not family n friends ya see. I do mainly maintenance etc and not new circuits etc. also u can't advertise as a sparky if u r just 8! Shame to have to leave the industry with my experience and qualifications but its bloody tempting... I probably only do about 40 days per year to top up my other income.... Also noticed that its the sparks who seem monitored and persecuted but manufacturers of equipment get away with shabby unsafe equipment. Lighting manufacturers are the worst...aweful terminations etc and still seeing plastic back boxes with no terminations for the unrequired earth cable.... Sorry rant over...
No...........in a word, I didn't!

It was something I remembered from college. Interesting that NAPIT still do it. I'll call them myself this week. What I wonder is "non professional electrical work"?

EDIT: After posting I rang NAPIT and spoke to a very helpful lady called Carla. This from the horse's mouth so to speak: Just8 IS still running though NOT seemingly advertised on the website. The cost is £240pa as opposed to £480pa. allows you to do 8 notifiable's a year. If you go over this you must upgrade to Full Scope. The big factor here she said is that to be accepted for the Just 8 scheme you MUST have 2391 before you join i.e. they don't let you "get it within12 months of joining".

A bit odd in that their latest website states that you have 12 months to get the 2391 whether you join their Full Scope or Defined Scope schemes. I mentioned to her about the 2391 being no more and she said that obviously they are aware and have only just recently run their last 2391 course. Site will be updated shortly with reference to the 2395 etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
PRO DAVE- thanks for support but as most of my works are minor works I should still notify most of it- especially if in bathroom/kitchen. If I fit an extra socket in a kitchen say, then I assume LABC need informing. What would that cost just to notify /inspect one bleeding socket!!!!! I would not get the job if i priced it that way.... Yes you are right- started in the industry in 1983 and went part time in 2000 ish. Kept up with regs and BS2391 etc etc etc and was NICEIC registered for several years then NAPIT until 2011...

Think I have the answer- work for another sparky friend of mine and work with/on his registration if i need it, although that's probably not allowed!! X(

Also coming across more and more diy stuff.. A plumber summed it up- He said you boys are too expensive and it encourages the public to dodge and weave their own stuff. Thanks to B@Q and wicks etc etc...

Luv this industry!!!!!

ON/OFF- just remember that everyone u work for must be friends or family with just 8, as you aint supposed to advertise!!!! Who dreamt that one up then..... I was just 8 and when i was inspected he asked why i had my business name on the certs- I said cos thats how people know me- it was all a bit awkward....If u want to make a full time living from it then swallow the cost and go full scope....

. A plumber summed it up- He said you boys are too expensive and it encourages the public to dodge and weave their own stuff. Thanks to B@Q and wicks etc etc...

Luv this industry!!!!!
Plumbers are generally more expensive on a hourly rate comparison. The public are generally more worried about flooding their house rather than having a cable thats not working or is unsafe. Even at school age children were often taught about how to wire a 13a plug in physics class. I dont recall any being taught how to connect a tap or replace a tap washer! As such an impression that electricity is easier than water is bred at an early age. B&Q Wickes etc are just red herrings in this debate, as they also sell plumbing materials and many other trades as well.

Doc H.

No...........in a word, I didn't!

It was something I remembered from college. Interesting that NAPIT still do it. I'll call them myself this week. What I wonder is "non professional electrical work"?

EDIT: After posting I rang NAPIT and spoke to a very helpful lady called Carla. This from the horse's mouth so to speak: Just8 IS still running though NOT seemingly advertised on the website. The cost is £240pa as opposed to £480pa. allows you to do 8 notifiable's a year. If you go over this you must upgrade to Full Scope. The big factor here she said is that to be accepted for the Just 8 scheme you MUST have 2391 before you join i.e. they don't let you "get it within12 months of joining".

A bit odd in that their latest website states that you have 12 months to get the 2391 whether you join their Full Scope or Defined Scope schemes. I mentioned to her about the 2391 being no more and she said that obviously they are aware and have only just recently run their last 2391 course. Site will be updated shortly with reference to the 2395 etc.
It means that you are not doing the work for financial gain i.e. if you do the work, even as PART of a business, you must register properly.

Hi,

Does anyone know whether Just* (or anything similar) is still running? I have sent an email to NAPIT but not received an answer.

I have both 2382 and 2391, but can't really justify full membership for perhaps 6 jobs per year on my own (BTL) properties.

I'm wondering whether there would be a market in 'Third Party Certification' for electricians who do mostly commercial work, but might find it useful to have the occasional notifiable domestic job certified at a cost less than the building control office (£310.50 here in Corby)? I may start a thread to gauge interest.

Best wishes,

Alan